It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Default Cat Food = Smelly litter box!

Hello. I'm here posting yet another post!

I've been feeding my cat Friskies canned cat food (and the dry "Feline Favourites" kind as well) and, I'm not sure if its the food, or the fact that she was pregnant and had her kittens, but when she uses the bathroom, it smells up the entire house!

I've never had a cat with that smelly of poo!

My question is, is it the food I'm feeding her? Or the pregnancy?

I recently switched over to Whiskas cat food - hoping this will change the smell!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Isaac, I'm not really sure about that. But I fed my kitties Whiskas when I couldn't get Choice or Royal Canin... their poo smells just fine ?? I was told by the vet that wet food will increase the smell of the poo. I give my cats BISCAL (Japanese brand) that would eliminate the unpleasant odor of poo. I also add Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (Cat Litter deodorizer), so far my house is free from any bad odor...
Please keep us updated after trying Whiskas for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-15-2009   #3 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Thanks Irene.

I'll try baking soda. Should I put it underneath the cat litter or on top of it?

Thanks!

Unread 06-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgeteden View Post
Thanks Irene.

I'll try baking soda. Should I put it underneath the cat litter or on top of it?

Thanks!
Put a light layer on the bottom of the litter box, add the litter, and sprinkle a bit on the top. Mix it a little bit (just shake the box a bit) and it's good to go!
I feed my cats Friskies wet food as well, and noticed there is a HUGE change in the way their poo smells! I started only giving a very small amount of wet food in the morning, then dry the rest of the day, that helped so much. Now and then they have stinky poo, but it's no longer an every-minute-of-the-day smell
Unread 06-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I feed my two wet and dry food and I have to say that Sasha has the stinkiest poo I've ever come across (for such a pretty little thing!)

i bought one of those covered litter trays in the end which comes with filters in the sides and it has really made a difference, I barely notice it now unless I go to empty it

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 06-15-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I only use dry food and Phoebe's stinks really bad even Saffy run's away when Phoebe has been! Billy tends to do a little dance when he has been, which is really amusing!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 06-15-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
I feed my two wet and dry food and I have to say that Sasha has the stinkiest poo I've ever come across (for such a pretty little thing!)

i bought one of those covered litter trays in the end which comes with filters in the sides and it has really made a difference, I barely notice it now unless I go to empty it
I have a covered one too with filters on top. I have no odor coming out either. It's genious! I also use pearl litter, so together they work miracles

One time the filter got covered, because bf put something on top (as if it was a table...), I was away all day and when I got home to scoop out poop a really really unpleasant and strong odor hit my face. I've never smelled anything like it Must have been pure ammonia.
Never have the filters covered, there will be consecquences!... like a cat finding some other place to pee... like our bed

Just thought I'd put a warning out here
Unread 06-16-2009   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

And remember the filters aren't 100% effective, nor do they last forever, and god help you if you don't clean out the box regularly with regular litter because just because you can't smell it while covered doesn't mean it doesn't stink to the high heavens.
Unread 06-16-2009   #9 (permalink)
Forgeteden

CamiDante
Thanks for the advice on the baking soda! I'll try it and see if it makes a difference! As far as food goes - Pumpkin will refuse to touch dry food unless shes really hungry! She's STUBBORN!

supersmithy
I was thinking about getting a covered litter box, as well. The litter box we have now is in the bathroom, which is in my housemate's bedroom - so he'll wake up at 3 in the morning to Pumpkin's smelly poo! (Verses me waking up to mewing kittens, due to the fact that she gave birth in my bedroom... Next to my bed!)

maggiemay
That's cute that he dances! One of these days you should catch him on tape and show us, lol!

KatrineA
Oh dear - another thing is NOT to clean out the cat box with Clorox or any kind of bleach cleaner without rewashing it with water and soap afterwords! I forgot to thoroughly wash out the Clorox and just towel-dried it instead, and put the litter in. Next couple weeks I go clean out the entire cat box (to refill with litter, not just scoop), a STRONG smell of bleach and ammonia filled my nostrils! It burned SOOO bad! I could feel my nose and eyebrow hairs falling off!

Never again will I forget to clean out the bleach!

Unread 06-16-2009   #10 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri Cat View Post
And remember the filters aren't 100% effective, nor do they last forever, and god help you if you don't clean out the box regularly with regular litter because just because you can't smell it while covered doesn't mean it doesn't stink to the high heavens.
That is very true! I make sure to clean out Pumpkin's cat box and refill it with litter at least once a week! Sometimes twice!

Tags
advice , baking soda , birds , birth , bites , box , cat , cat food , cats , clean , crazy , cute , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , eye , family , food , health , hey , home , house , hurt , kittens , litter , litter box , money , morning , night , nose , pearls , pee , playing , poo , poop , pregnancy , pregnant , queen , question , royal , save , shopping , small , smart , smell , wake , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links