It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Default Best Cat Food?

Hello all! I'm sure there is or has been a forum like this already, but I'd like your opinion.

What is the best kind of cat food out there? What about litter? Cat treats? What are you feeding your cats? And is it good to feed them Human food such as lunch meat, hot dogs, and what not?

I'd like to know the first few at a bargain price, since I have a limited income!

Currently I am transitioning between Friskies canned cat food and Whiskas wet cat food (the kind in the little pouches). Are these brands good for my cat?

Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I'm at work at the moment. Will only get back to you later this evening, or even tomorrow, for I plan to write quite detailed answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Whiskas & Friskies are almost rubbish. Try Wellness or Royal Canin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Anastasia is on Royal Canin. We're happy with RC I agree with Maya.
Here we sell rubbish cat food at grocery stores and the quality food in pet stores. Maybe it's like this world wide? It's important to get the right nutritions in their daily food.

I give Whiskas or Friskies (wet food) as a treat only, I consider them desert once or twice a week
Unread 06-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I will only buy Hill's and Whiskas when sometimes I can't get Choice (kitties' favorite) and Royal Canin. I don't understand why sometimes it's hard to get those good brands (especially Choice) here in Taiwan. Thank God I was able to buy Choice again recently. All kitties and human are happy !
I also give them Fancy Feast (Every day's a feast) - Ocean Platter and Roasted Selection twice - three times a week (cost control..hehe !)

Wet : Fancy Feast, Aixia Miaw miaw (Gold & Platinum), Catsin... more Japanese, unfortunately, they're much more expensive than Whiskas & Friskies wet...but my Princess the picky kitty loves those more than Whi & Fri

Treats : Vitakraft Cat-stick mini, Breath & Dental Care, Dried anchovies, Cheese-chicken sandwich, cheese sticks , fresh fish sticks (only Princess doesn't fancy cheesy things..)

If I miss something, I'll add to my list next time.

Unread 06-17-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Question

Never saw "Choice" where is it mfg?

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Forgeteden

I've heard of "Choice" a couple times in this forum and around the net - I haven't seen it before, or may have missed it at the supermarket. I know that every store is different, but what is the average price of this food?

And with Fancy Feast, those cans are awfully small - will it be enough just to feed her one can, or is this food usually served in two cans or more per serving?

Also, do they still sell Sheeba cat food? I heard that alot of cats find it very tasty!

Thanks!

Unread 06-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgeteden View Post
I've heard of "Choice" a couple times in this forum and around the net - I haven't seen it before, or may have missed it at the supermarket. I know that every store is different, but what is the average price of this food?

And with Fancy Feast, those cans are awfully small - will it be enough just to feed her one can, or is this food usually served in two cans or more per serving?

Also, do they still sell Sheeba cat food? I heard that alot of cats find it very tasty!

Thanks!
Oh yes, I forgot to mention about Sheeba. My kitties love that particular brand too (luckily, even Princess !)
But, please don't get me wrong. I never feed them wet only or as major food. Their main food is always dry. I give them only some wet (one small can divided among them each time) as treats or snack. That way, their poo will not stink. For your Pumpkin only, give at most half a can, when you can't finish all, keep the remaining in the fridge. Just keep in the normal room temperature for about 15 mins before serving the next day. As for the kittens, ONLY give them kitten wet food, as well as dry.
Choice is about the same price as Hill's or Royal Canin here in Taiwan. So, I'm not sure about the price in the US. Hope other members can answer this.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 06-17-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Unread 07-02-2009   #9 (permalink)
Tonka

Things I feed my cat:

I feed my cat Natural Balance wet food - One 5.5 - 6 oz. can is good for my adult male cat all day (I split it up into two servings; one in the AM, one in the PM)... I do leave out a little (1/8 cup) of dry kibble for snacking while I'm at work... (now switched over to Wellness brand Complete Health for Adult Cat in Chicken variety... )

Which brings me to another point.....

There are numerous articles on the "dry or wet food" debate -- I offer both, as the shelter does, even though my cat prefers wet food to dry food. Because cats need a lot of water (even those who eat only wet food), I always put in a tablespoon or two of water in with the wet food to make sure he's getting enough H20. High water intake reduces chances of bladder infections, back-ups, build-ups, and cysts. Never, ever mix water with dry food - as dry food contains bacteria and if left sitting wet, can become a breeding ground for bacteria and make your cat sick.

Natural Balance is a very high quality food, complete and balanced, and one can will complete an average 10 lb. adult cat's calorie intake for the day. Because my cat can be picky (sometimes not eating the entire can of wet, sometimes eating more dry than wet on some days) is another reason I offer both dry and wet food...

I do give "Vitakitty" treats --- just a few a day. In addition to being a treat, they have extra Vitamin A and E which help to promote healthy eyes, skin and fur, and they have no fillers or by-product crap in them, either. They're a healthy "treat", but I'm careful not to give him too many in a day. Vitamin A & E are fat-soluable, and can be toxic in large amounts --- follow the directions on the package, and everything should be fine.

Last edited by Tonka; 07-04-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Now feeding Wellness brand Complete Health for Adult Cat in Chicken variety

Unread 07-02-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Wow, you know a lot, Emily! Great post!I think it's great you mix both wet and dry food and control the amounts given

Last edited by KatrineA; 07-02-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: I messed up replies

Tags
addition , adult , age , animal , another cat , baby , bills , black , bladder , box , boyfriend , breeding , brown , car , care , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , clean , crazy , cut , diet , discount , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , egg , eyes , facts , fiber , fish , food , found , free , friends , fur , great , growth , health , healthy , hey , home , interesting , internet , links , litter , maine coon , male , mat , natural , not eating , nutrition , obesity , opinion , orijen , overweight , ownership , pet food , present , problems , raw , royal , save , scary , senior , shelter , sick , small , test , turkey , type , water , wet food , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links