It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Fine
WeLuvCats is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to WeLuvCats Send a message via Yahoo to WeLuvCats
Question Heat Exhaustion

This past Monday, I sent my girl out to be spayed, I use an cat spay program here in my state, they pick up the cats here, and transport them an hour away to the clinic, and keep them overnight, and return them the next day. They are transported in a huge van, with A/C in the back for the animals. Well, this past Tue when I went to pick up my cat, when I took her out of her crate, she was having symptoms of a heat stroke. See, Im in the S.E. and its very hot here. I immediately took her out, misted her down with a hose, rubbed the mist down to her skin, and then wrapped her in a wet towel and took her inside, then gave her water via a syringe. After about 10 min, she quit panting, and I then took her temp, it was 103, after 15 min, I took again, it was 101. Boy was I mad !! My cat could have died...Now that shes back home, and in her familiar surrounding, she is eating good, but still kinda not quite herself. I have called my vet, and was told to watch her, and keep her calm and make sure shes eating and drinking, and using cat pan, which she is. Has anyone ever had their cat get over heated? Everything I did for her that day, I was told was right. Just wondering if the heat exhaustion, combined with the surgury is why shes still alittle quiet and not as active...Thanks for your time !

Proudly owned by my kitties
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-18-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Wow, never experienced that, but I would definitely contact the clinic and complain, they could have killed you fur-baby! I would imagine that the combination of surgery and the exhaustion will be making her less active, I would keep up the fluid intake for sometime, hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give your dilemma, I hope that everything will o.k.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-18-2009   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hi Dawn,sorry to hear about this dear,I haven't come across this situation,but thank God you were there for her,and acted quickly to get her temp down.I'd get back in touch with the clinic if I were you love.Let us know how she is.Thinking of you chick.Hugs and purrs, me and my fluffy kids.xxxxx
Unread 06-18-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

That's terrible! I think you have to make a big deal about this. They couldn't just have killed your cat, but other cats too!

Poor kitty. I hope she'll recover fast.
Unread 06-18-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Dawn, she was lucky to have you come for emergency rescue ! Thank God, you did not too panic to forget what to do, and everything you did was essential and life-saving ! If I were you, I might faint before my kitty was saved.

But seriously, I have to agree with Maggiemay & Katrine... you need to inform them of what happened to your girl, they almost killed her !! This is also for the sake of others .. especially during hot summer time. They should have taken some caution to prevent this to happen again !!

You said that she still kinda not quite herself... I think it's not only she just recovered from the heat stroke, it's also because she's still weak after the surgery. I can't imagine her to get so weak and exposed to the extreme heat (she suffered serious dehydration)! I also agree that you syringe feed her more water to prevent further dehydration. I'm praying with you, Dawn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-18-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Smile

Thanks everyone, update : Miss Rose is more alert, eating, drinking well,and using cat pan...Im so glad I didnt panic and knew what to do, thank God. And I do plan on contacting clinic to inform them of what happened, they need to check the back part of the van to make sure A/C is working properly to prevent this from happening agian.
I will update tomorrow, have a great day or night, wherever you are !

Rubs and head butts from our house to yours.

Unread 06-19-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Great to know that Rose is getting well again ! Good luck when talking to the clinic, it will be very helpful, Dawn !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-19-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I am so glad that Miss Rose is recovering now!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 06-19-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Smile Rose

Good morning all...today is much better, now shes back to her old self, very alert ! When I call her name, she looks at me as to say "What" ! And she's going out on my sunporch and scratching on the scratching post !! So, good news for Rose, she's gonna be OK.
I will be contacting clinic today !!

Headbutts and purrs, Dawn and Rose

Unread 06-19-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Excellent news! So glad she is recovering nicely!

Tags
baby , boy , calm , cat , cats , eating , fast , fur , girl , great , heat , hey , home , house , kitty , love , lucky , missing , morning , night , person , play , rescue , scratching , spayed , surgery , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links