It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Default Ringworm?

Hello again. :] I have a couple questions.

Well here's the story. My partner has an unspayed female cat who had kittens. She had dormant ring worm, and ended up giving it to her first litter, in which his family had to give away the babies at only 6 weeks old. This cat may be pregnant AGAIN, but his family wants to get her fixed and terminate the kittens. I am trying to convince his family to let Angel (their cat) to have the kittens, and I will take care of them myself.

My question is, if this litter of kittens has ringworm as bad as the last litter, what should I do? Is there medicine for kittens that young to be de-wormed of ring worm? Or should I just let them live with it?

Also, does human anti-fungal cream get rid of it? (Just rumor I heard online - NOT trying unless its accurate)

Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ringworms is contagious !

Hi Isaac ! Bless your heart that you do care about Angel and her kittens. Ringworms is contagious to people; however, some people are at greater risk than others.

I found this info written by a vet, and hope you'll find it useful too.

This puts young animals and children, elderly people and pets, those who are HIV+, people on chemotherapy or taking medication after tranfusion or organ transplant and highly stressed people and animals at high risk. In general, if you do not already have ringworm at the time your pet is diagnosed, you probably will not get it.

Commitment is the key to success especially if you have more than one pet. Infected animals are constantly shedding spores into the environment (your house) thus disinfection is just as important as treatment of the affected pet.

There are primarily two medications being used to treat ringworm: Griseofulvin and Itraconazole (brand name "Sporonox"). Veterinary dermatologists disagree as to which is better. Both medications are relatively expensive, must be given with food, and have significant potential to cause birth defects in pregnant pets.

Treatment with either medication typically is continued for 1-2 months and should not be discontinued until the pet cultures negative. Stopping when the pet simply looks well visually frequently leads to recurrence of the disease.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I need to add this :

HOW DOES THE VET KNOW THIS IS REALLY RINGWORM?

In some cases, we know for sure that dermatophyte fungi are present while in other cases we are only highly suspicious. Lesions on animal skin are rarely the classic ring-shaped as in people (in fact, in animals, lesions are often not even itchy) thus some testing is usually necessary.

The spores of dermatophyte fungi are extremely hardy in the environment; they can live for years. All it takes is skin contact with a spore to cause infection. Infected animals are continuously dropping spore-covered hairs as infected hairs break off into the environment. Some animals are carriers, who never show signs of skin irritation themselves but can infect others readily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Better you take her to the vet's

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
Better you take her to the vet's
I agree !

Unread 06-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Thanks for all the good advice, Irene!

Sadly, my partner's sister is a horrible, evil child and doesn't care about the kittens I wanted to adopt, and is terminating them even though she could already be at least 3 weeks pregnant (about 2 weeks ago, my partner told me that Angel was showing signs of being pregnant again, and was getting chubbier)

Unread 06-23-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgeteden View Post
Thanks for all the good advice, Irene!

Sadly, my partner's sister is a horrible, evil child and doesn't care about the kittens I wanted to adopt, and is terminating them even though she could already be at least 3 weeks pregnant (about 2 weeks ago, my partner told me that Angel was showing signs of being pregnant again, and was getting chubbier)
That's really cruel !! How could someone so cold blooded, refuses to respect life !!

Unread 06-25-2009   #8 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
That's really cruel !! How could someone so cold blooded, refuses to respect life !!
I know it makes me so sad! How can a 14 year old girl have any control over someone else s life! I heard a rumor that after a Queen gets fixed during a pregnancy, she becomes very depressed or has some sort of psychological problem. A mate of mine had to have her cat's kittens terminated, due to not having the money for any more cats (and her parents decision, rather than her own), and ever since the spay, her cat has never been the same! It could just be due to having the surgery, but she seems less social and depressed most of the time, and strongly dislikes being picked up or even pet! Before she was always wanting attention.

Unread 06-25-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgeteden View Post
I know it makes me so sad! How can a 14 year old girl have any control over someone else s life! I heard a rumor that after a Queen gets fixed during a pregnancy, she becomes very depressed or has some sort of psychological problem. A mate of mine had to have her cat's kittens terminated, due to not having the money for any more cats (and her parents decision, rather than her own), and ever since the spay, her cat has never been the same! It could just be due to having the surgery, but she seems less social and depressed most of the time, and strongly dislikes being picked up or even pet! Before she was always wanting attention.
I'm not surprised by the outcome. Poor kitty ! She's been living in long-term depression with such cruel owners who'll probably treat her as 'just a cat' or a toy, and never realize that she has life (her kittens also had lives) that deserves respect.

She needs to be rescued, otherwise, she will end up sick (mental & physical) and die early. Do you think you can foster her and eventually rehome her ?

If you happen to read Brandon's posts about how he fixed a rescue cat's biting habit (Roger) - you'll be convinced that your partner's cat still got chance to re-live.

God bless your heart ! I'm praying for her and hoping for the best !

Unread 06-25-2009   #10 (permalink)
Forgeteden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
I'm not surprised by the outcome. Poor kitty ! She's been living in long-term depression with such cruel owners who'll probably treat her as 'just a cat' or a toy, and never realize that she has life (her kittens also had lives) that deserves respect.

She needs to be rescued, otherwise, she will end up sick (mental & physical) and die early. Do you think you can foster her and eventually rehome her ?

If you happen to read Brandon's posts about how he fixed a rescue cat's biting habit (Roger) - you'll be convinced that your partner's cat still got chance to re-live.

God bless your heart ! I'm praying for her and hoping for the best !
Sadly, there's nothing I can do about Angel for the moment, but maybe after my partner moves from his parent's house, he can steal kitty and let her live with me

Tags
advice , animal , babies , birth , biting , care , cat , cat's , cats , classic , cold , depressed , dogs , elderly , environment , family , female , fixed , foster , girl , house , infection , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , lost , money , pet , pregnancy , pregnant , present , problem , queen , ringworm , roger , sad , sick , small , social , spay , spayed , stealing , story , surgery

Sponsored Cat Links