It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
Sharon78

Default Science Diet

Does anyone use Science Diet? I was at the best store and the lady recommended it or Royal Canin. Overally, the Science Diet ends up cheaper.

Any thoughts?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Hmm.. The animal hospital down the road here sells Science Diet... They said they would recommend it too, so I figure it's gotta be halfway decent right? lol
Unread 06-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Sharon78

Yah... I was thinking after I posted this I should ask the vet clinic. They don't actually sell any food that I noticed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Jordan S.

NOOO. It's a really low quality brand. you can do a LOT better than science diet. Compare it's ingredients to a brand like Innova holistic cat food's ingredients.

Science diet adult optimal care:

Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract

Innova cat and kitten:

Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Potatoes, Eggs, Ground Barley, Chi

Last edited by Jordan S.; 06-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Unread 06-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Sharon78

Thats why I'm asking.... I thought it was a good quality, its one of the priciest at the pet store.

I think I will ask the vet what they recommend when I call to make an appt for Rosco

Unread 06-21-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Hmm.. I should probably mention that to the animal hospital then.. Wonder if it would do any good if I did tho? lol...
Unread 06-21-2009   #7 (permalink)
Jordan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon78 View Post
Thats why I'm asking.... I thought it was a good quality, its one of the priciest at the pet store.

I think I will ask the vet what they recommend when I call to make an appt for Rosco
Well surprisingly enough, vets receive the least amount of training in nutrition. I listen to everything my vet suggests to me except nutriton lol. He prescribed my dog prescription diet, from the hill's company, and my dog had loads of dandruff and he shed like crazy, this went away when I started feeding him a holistic brand. Same with my cat. Most have only be exposed to mainstream brands and have no idea there are a wealth of foods that pass the quality of brands like science diet with flying colors.

Unread 06-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Sharon78

Now i am just more confused then when I started! lol

My vet is actually more of a holistic vet.. so I will see what he says. but if nothing else, I may go to RC as I have seen many here recommend it.

Unread 06-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Yep, my vet always recommends SD & RC as best dry food. Same price here for the two brands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-22-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan S. View Post
Well surprisingly enough, vets receive the least amount of training in nutrition. I listen to everything my vet suggests to me except nutriton lol. He prescribed my dog prescription diet, from the hill's company, and my dog had loads of dandruff and he shed like crazy, this went away when I started feeding him a holistic brand. Same with my cat. Most have only be exposed to mainstream brands and have no idea there are a wealth of foods that pass the quality of brands like science diet with flying colors.
Perhaps that's right Jordan ! Almost all vet offices here also recommend those two brands (Hill's SD & RC). I used to feed them both. Then the more I read other people's comments on HSD, especially the animal by-products part, I changed my mind just recently. I never went back to buy HSD, but still stick to RC when I'm not able to get Choice (my favorite brand), coz sometimes they just can't maintain inventory...

Tags
adult , animal , care , cat , cat food , cats , changed , crazy , diet , dog , dogs , dry , dry food , food , hey , kitten , love , nutrition , pet , royal , thoughts , training , vet

Sponsored Cat Links