It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

nastursim is on a distinguished road
Default spay complications

I had my 2 little kitties spayed a week ago, 1 of them has weeping stitches, and they both have abdominal swelling the length of the stitches plus about an inch wide. Took 1 to the vet, and he gave her antibiotics, but there doesn't seem to be any improvement. Hubby will take them both back to the vet tomorrow.

I am feeling badly for them though for this to happen to them, it must be very uncomfortable for them. My husband said that the vet rang him the next day to ask how 1 particular cat was, a little strange.

Do you think the vet has stuffed up?? It seems strange that they would both have this same reaction when they were operated on the same day. If it was a reaction to the stitches, it is weird that they are both having the same reaction.

Poor babies.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Did the kittens touch the stitches?? They are supposed not to do it.
You can avoid it with an E-collar. Do they have it each one of them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

They do not have a collar on, but the stitches didn't seem to be bothering them. I had the mother done a couple of months ago and she had no collar and no complications. Could they have done it to themselves?? I have had them both closed in a room by themselves until the stitches are mant to come out.
Unread 06-28-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

The cats could have licked the area of the stitches when grooming themselves. That could have caused an infection. My vet strictly told me that my cat should never ever lick her wound. I covered her with a body, you could also use a little sweather, baby sweather or something. E-collars work fine too. I recommend you get something like that.

Cats love to groom themselves and they're bound to lick their stitches coz of it.
Unread 06-28-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Poor kitties... Yeah, I would rather think the infections were caused by excessive licking too ... or biting ?
My Princess had torn and bleeding stitches too the first day she came back from the vet. I rushed her back to the vet and she was hospitalized for another day... she didn't like E-collar at all, so I had to keep a close eye on her to avoid any accident to happen again.
My Lady wore E-Collar, but still, she had a minor swollen wound. But I think the length and width of your kitties' swelling is rather serious. I can't say anything about the vet without further evidence... maybe he was just concerned ... but, a while ago, one member here found out that the vet had an intern (or assistant who is not qualified) to perform the surgery. I hope it's not your case.
My prayer goes out to your kitties. Please keep us updated after tomorrow's vet visit.

Unread 06-28-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Yeah, I don't think they'll like the E-collar. I think a baby sweater would be better. You can't watch them all the time. I bet you've got to sleep as well, hehe. They really shouldn't be licking the wounds at all.
My kitty didn't like the body either, but I think it's more comfortable than an E-collar. She got out of it 3 times, but I caught her almost the instant she got out. I tied it tighter to her. I told my vet that she had gotten out and she was worried about her licking the wounds, but she never got the chance to do so.
Unread 06-28-2009   #7 (permalink)
Sharon78

My kitty was given an e-collar to wear for a week.. other than hitting a few walls the first day, she was fine with it.

Unread 06-29-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

An update on my 2 kitties, It turns out that they were short staffed on the day and the person who operated was not "as qualified" as a vet, hmmph. Apparently they took away too much fatty tissue and did not stitch it correctly, so seromas have formed under the wound of both kitties. So they will both need antibiotics and need to be enclosed and have the stitches in for ANOTHER 2 weeks.

Makes me a bit angry, something serious could have gone wrong, and they do not seek permission to practise on your pets. The poor kitties so desperately want to get out and play with their mates.

Fortunately we do not have to pay any extra.
Unread 06-29-2009   #9 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastursim View Post
An update on my 2 kitties, It turns out that they were short staffed on the day and the person who operated was not "as qualified" as a vet, hmmph. Apparently they took away too much fatty tissue and did not stitch it correctly, so seromas have formed under the wound of both kitties. So they will both need antibiotics and need to be enclosed and have the stitches in for ANOTHER 2 weeks.

Makes me a bit angry, something serious could have gone wrong, and they do not seek permission to practise on your pets. The poor kitties so desperately want to get out and play with their mates.

This is terrible,it reminds of another post a few months back,where they operated and weren't qualified.
Poor kitties.
You have every right to feel very angry.Like you said,something serious could have gone wrong.
Big fluffy hug from me and my gang.xxxxx
Unread 06-29-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastursim View Post

You must report this person! Your kitties were lucky, but for others it can be tragic!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
angry , antibiotics , babies , baby , biting , cat , cats , collar , eye , found , fur , grooming , healthy , hey , home , infection , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , licking , love , lucky , mess , person , play , prayers , sad , sleep , spay , spayed , stitches , story , surgery , uncomfortable , vet , weird

Sponsored Cat Links