It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-01-2009   #1 (permalink)
tryinghard24

Default Kitten sick...

Hello! I would like to thank anyone in advance for your responses to this post.

Please bear with me, and understand my situation.

I recently moved into the woods, stray cats around fed by the neighbor. I must admit, they were friendly so I did feed them too.

One of them had kittens and they too were friendly. One mostly was very friendly to my 4 year old step daughter...she absolutely loves this kitten!

It was the healthiest looking out of them all!

My stepdaughter is with her MOther this week...the kitten is now sick.

I didn't notice that she was losing weight and than all of a sudden I was so upset that I missed it...

I wormed them all - as they should be the age to do so....

5 hours later she did get rid of worms!!! I was hoping that in time she would get better. She seems to stick with the rest of the kittens, sleeping more, and not playing with them as normal, but she walks around, just slower.

She is still skinny, I really do think she isn't as skinny as she was the other day, but she still isn't eating much at all.

I would be at the vet yesterday if I could afford to! I don't want anyone to think that I am not doing what I can for her! It breaks my heart, and I know that if she is still so sick when my sd comes back, she too will be so sad.

I don't have inside pets, we just can't afford it right now with how this world is....

I have fed them wet food lately, kitten hard food, and was told to get baby food (beef) for her to try.

I got her to eat off of my finger some, and normally she will. I just don't know what to do.

The spca in our area is absolutely overloaded with cats, and I know they would rather me keep her- granted she would be healthy probably!!!

Can anyone help me?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-01-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

If you can't get her to a vet (I understand money issues), keep trying to get her to take food, and drink water. Sounds like you are doing the best you can in this situation, and I hope your kitty will pull through!
Unread 07-01-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for feeding the strays.
Why don't you call the vet and consult with him/her about the kitten's condition. You don't necessarily pay the vet a visit.
I think she's malnourished, due to the old worms. Crystal is right, but I will also suggest that you also give her some kitten vitamin drops to strengthen her immune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
tryinghard24

Thanks so much for being so kind!
I was afraid that I would be shunned for not going straight to the vet.

The other 2 kittens still have their bloated or chubbyness to their stomachs...which was what I figured was the worms, or just still being kittens.

I was waiting to worm them, as I wasn't sure how old they were. I know they were around for the 6 weeks that they were visible to us, so however old beyond that is a mystery as I can't guess from their size or anything.

The mom was very young- I was so surprised when she came around and was so friendly- and than I noticed that it looked as if she was nursing. We hadn't seen the kittens, so I figured she was desperate for food as she was feeding little ones.

She was friendly maybe a week and than boom, she brought the kittens to the front porch!

One was lost alittle bit ago, it was overnight and there was nothing I could do....I believe that something happened to it, a snake bite, etc. It was not skinny, and was not bleeding.

I really hope it's not linked to this one, but it's so hard to say.

I may call the vet if she isn't doing better. They were all still sleeping this morning when I went out to feed them, so she ate some, but not alot.

I did notice that she was "grinding" her teeth when she ate. I searched that online and found that maybe a tooth issue, but that some cats do this when they are eating soft/wet food. She doesnt seem to be in any pain in her mouth or anywhere.

I don't want to take the sick one in the house, I think it will upset her. I did for a few minutes to try and see if she would relax and sleep or just snuggle, but she was meowing...and stopped as soon as I took her back outside.

I was hoping that when she got rid of the worms, it would help, I just hope it is in time.

I will continue this and see what happens. Like I said, she still hangs around with the other kittens, as they play- she doesn't wince when they run up to her and bat at her to play, she just sorta walks around. Not that she feels good, but I don't see her in pain, sleeping all the time or laying around. She was jumping up on the one wall we have too, sitting with her Mom.

I will continue to pray for her!
Thanks so much for your thoughts and ideas!!!

Unread 07-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh my goodness, a snake killed the kitten ?
I think it is more advisable that you keep the kittens and meowmy indoor (safer). Yes, please keep a close eye on them, if something is really wrong, call the vet for advice. Even advice on how to worm them. It's dangerous to give overdose worm medicine. The vet will usually ask you how much they weigh to determine how much med to be prescribed. Please keep us updated. BTW, thanks for feeding them. However, kittens are not supposed to be fed adult cat food. But mom can eat kitten food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
tryinghard24

Yes, I realize that now, that I should have been feeding them the kitten food. I did get that and will continue to use that.
I love animals, and I am hoping for the best. We have them named, and as upset as I am that this is all not going so well, my stepdaugther will be crushed. We haven't told her, and will when we get her back on Friday.

Thank you so much!

Unread 07-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hope everything will be fine when your sd is back on Friday. I'll be praying with you !

Unread 07-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
tryinghard24

Thanks! She had been in Heaven playing with the kittens. This one was her favorite! The most friendliest of all!!!!
We call her and she just wants to know how they are, what are they doing, do they miss her!
I will keep you all posted!!! Thanks so much!

Unread 07-02-2009   #9 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Well done for caring about momma and her kits,I pray they will be ok,you are so kindhearted.Keep up the good work.I'm Cheryl by the way,what is your name?xxxxx
Unread 07-02-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

God Bless you for caring about all those kits. Pls keep us posted.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
age , baby , bat , belly , bite , bloated , box , canned food , care , cats , cute , diet , dog , eating , eye , food , found , friendly , great , happy , healthy , heat , hey , home , house , jumping , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , lost , love , meowing , morning , neuter , night , pill , play , playing , prayers , sad , siblings , sick , sleeping , spay , stray , thoughts , upset , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links