It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-02-2009   #1 (permalink)
Tonka

Default Let's talk about TAURINE

Cats need Taurine, for their eyesight, among other reasons. I've read FISH or traces of fish in food can deplete taurine -- for this reason, I worry about foods that contain fish AND taurine together. I want to make sure my cat is getting enough taurine.

- What are symptoms of taurine depletion (besides blindness!?) - how do I know if my cat is getting enough in his diet??
- How much taurine is good for a cat?
- Are there supplements of taurine available? If so, what are they?
- Should I be worrying about this if my cat is eating a "complete and balanced" wet & dry food mix from Nature's Balance (high quality food that contains some fish in some of their varieties)... My cat does not eat raw or canned tuna or fish, only commercial cat food.
- Is it possible to give too much taurine, and if so, how much is too much?

Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
oldcrafty

I'd like to know more about taurine too. I just want to make sure our girls are getting enough.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Here's some info sites that answer some of the questions:
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF TAURINE IN CATS ?
Nutritional Problems in Cats: Taurine Deficiency and Vitamin A Excess
Unread 07-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
thank you very much for providing this useful link. I thought I knew a lot about taurine and cats, but I learned some new things today!
Unread 07-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
Cats need Taurine, for their eyesight, among other reasons. I've read FISH or traces of fish in food can deplete taurine -- for this reason, I worry about foods that contain fish AND taurine together. I want to make sure my cat is getting enough taurine.

- What are symptoms of taurine depletion (besides blindness!?) - how do I know if my cat is getting enough in his diet??
- How much taurine is good for a cat?
- Are there supplements of taurine available? If so, what are they?
- Should I be worrying about this if my cat is eating a "complete and balanced" wet & dry food mix from Nature's Balance (high quality food that contains some fish in some of their varieties)... My cat does not eat raw or canned tuna or fish, only commercial cat food.
- Is it possible to give too much taurine, and if so, how much is too much?

Thanks!
CamiDante's link can answer most of your questions.

I have never heard that fish can deplete Taurine, and this link also does not mention it. Where did you read about that?

Taurine is not stored in kitty's body, so the cats needs it every day in sufficient quantities. Most high quality foods provide adequate amounts.

I have become a label reader, and Taurine level is always one of the first things I check for.

thanks for bringing this up!

Unread 07-06-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I didn't even know that cats needed an adequate amount of Taurine in their diets until a lady friend of mine (she owns 4 cats) mentioned it, and after I saw this thread. I will be talking with my vet as well, to make sure my kitty's are getting the amounts they need!
Unread 07-07-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
Great links with great info ! Thanks Crystal for the contribution ! I just had a good time reading them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
cat food , cats , commercial , diet , dry , dry food , eating , fish , food , hey , kitty , links , pet , problems , raw , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links