It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

alva_crept is on a distinguished road
Default hair changing?

hello!!!

i have a question and thought i'd come to the experts on

my one kitty, lester is all black. he is getting older now (will be 8 this year!) and i've noticed a few greys here and there popping up, this seems normal enough to me.

in the past two weeks or so, i've noticed that on his sides there is a slight "spotty" look to his coat. at first, i thought maybe he was losing hair? but there had been no hair balls around the house or anything. when i touch those areas, they don't feel weird or thin at all. when i rub his fur backwards, the hair in those spots almost look lighter.. like he's starting to get greys in spots? he already has been to the vet recently and they said he was perfectly healthy... and he's acting 100% normal.. do you think its possible he's just getting gray in a weird way? never heard of this - but he is my first kitty so there's a lot i don't know!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I didn't think 8 year old cats were old, as they can live up to 20 in theory My kitty isn't full grown until she's 5 years old, then she's entirely an adult.
Unread 07-09-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

This is really an entirely new thought for me ! Cats get grey like human ?

Some human get grey hair even before they get really old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-09-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, like me! Shhhhh! I only found one white strand of hair. My mum took it away, so it's all good now.
Unread 07-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
Yes, like me! Shhhhh! I only found one white strand of hair. My mum took it away, so it's all good now.
Too late, unless you delete this post... everybody will know you have had that one white strand of hair !

Seriously, I think cats can get grey hair too... I remember my vet said that as they grow old, their coat color will change - only unsure if it will become grey or just different color ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

alva_crept is on a distinguished road
Wink

well here's a thought... did you know that their whiskers turn colors as well? well.. at least with one cat i saw - i was at the vet and a lady was standing next to me with her cat. her kitty was all black and i noticed that her whiskers were white. i told her that i thought that was so unique and that i had never seen that. she said that hey used to be all black, until she got older.

well, i dont know if this is a bad word here.. but just as dogs can go gray/white too, i never thought anything twice about them being the only animal to show their age.

and i know kitties can live a very long time, but at the vet (again, i stare at all the posters and stuff on the walls) i remember that at age 7-8 the cats are considered to be in their 30's-40's or something like that.. so yea.. it isn't OLD but its "old" enough to start showing SOME sides of aging!! (i would think, anyway)

sooo..... i guess since some of you were surprised about the gray hair issue.. does this mean you dont know if the spotty patches are normal?
Unread 07-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I know of someone who has a cat that changes the colors of whiskers, sometimes they're white and sometimes they're black. The cat is an orange Maine Coon mix. Pretty cool.
Unread 07-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

My Bens fur got lighter on his face as he got older - he used to have a little brown moustache but it completely went white like the fur around it over time - maybe it's like humans, some go grey really early and others keep their colour until they're really old.

Talking of changing colour of whiskers - Pixie's used to be half black and half white but they have been all black for about a year now!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 07-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
My Bens fur got lighter on his face as he got older - he used to have a little brown moustache but it completely went white like the fur around it over time - maybe it's like humans, some go grey really early and others keep their colour until they're really old.

Talking of changing colour of whiskers - Pixie's used to be half black and half white but they have been all black for about a year now!
That makes sense to me

Pixie has magical whiskers too then
Unread 07-09-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
That makes sense to me

Pixie has magical whiskers too then

LOL yep magic! Looks better as well, the white ones were really freaky, they always seemed to grow the wrong way

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx

Tags
adult , age , allergy , amazing , animal , black , brown , cat , cats , changed , color , diet , eye , fleas , found , frontline , fun , funny , fur , grey , grooming , hey , indoor , kitty , lucky , maine coon , morning , night , picture , problem , problems , shelter , stray , tabby , thoughts , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links