It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-18-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

DootThaLoop is on a distinguished road
Question How Much Chocolate Is Fatal To A Cat?

Sorry this is my first post... I registered some time ago then forgot I had an account on here. I was just wondering how much chocolate a cat has to eat before it's fatal? I just want a little peace of mind because I was just eating ice cream and it was vanilla with pieces of chocolate in it, and I figured since my cat liked milk she'd like ice cream too so I dipped my finger in the melty part in the bottom of the bowl like three times and let her lick some off my finger before I remembered that I'd been told that cats aren't suppose to have chocolate. I started looking online and everything I found said that chocolate is fatal to cats. I don't know if that includes a few drops of ice cream that was mostly vanilla with a bit of chocolate mixed in, but if it won't kill her, will it make her sick at all? What's some signs I should watch for? My boyfriend says I'm just paranoid, but I consider my cat family and I've had her for over two years now... I would feel just awful if I was the cause of something bad to happen to her
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-18-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Welcome back ! I'm Irene, owned by 4 furry-babies.

You're absolutely right ! Chocolate is toxic for pets (cats & dogs)._I know you love your cat so much and you don't want to cause any fatality giving her toxic food. Here is a link to a good article about Chocolate Toxicity - What Makes Chocolate Toxic To Pets and how much is too much.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutr...latetoxici.htm

Anyway, I would suggest that you NEVER give her ANY. Better safe than sorry.

What is her name, BTW ? Please post some pix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-18-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I had a dog called Candy years ago (she has since died of old age) and I used keep the chocolate away from her, but one day I had bought myself one of the packs of eight 'Mars bars', and I had left them in my bedroom with the door closed, but she got in and ate all the bars of chocolate including the plastic wrapper and it didn't do any harm to her, I am not advocating anyone give their pets chocolate I just wanted to share. They were the full size bars.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 07-18-2009   #4 (permalink)
cartouche

hello!!! from that i know, from chocolate, it's a substance who is in the chocolate who is dangerous, the théobromine. She is most present in the dark chocolate; less in the milk chocolate, and any in the white. She's more dangerous for the dog, Some breeds are more susceptible than others:
Races known as "brachycephalic" who possess the nose flattens (boxer, pug, bulldog, etc.). it's reel for the cat too, and the reaction come few ouer after he eat it. How much, i don't know for a cat, but for a dog, 200g is enought for killed him. My cat, it's hard, love chocolate, milk chocolate; he it too as soon as my eyes are not watching him!!!

Unread 07-18-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

DootThaLoop is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your concern... she seems fine today! I'll be careful not to do something stupid like that again. I'm pretty sure the chocolate in the icecream was milk chocolate, so it probably wasn't too harmful (if at all), right?

We call her "Kitty". I know it's very unoriginal, but we didn't like her adopted name (she was an older kitten when we got her, but someone had owned her before apparently). So we started trying to think of names (but couldn't really come up with any), and over time we kept saying "kitty, kitty, kitty" when trying to get her attention, and unfortunately that seems to have stuck. I can call "KITTY" from another room, and if she's not asleep, she'll come running, so I guess she thinks that's her name. Since it's been a couple years, it's too late to change it now anyway. I snapped a few quick pics of her a little bit ago, she's a beautiful calico

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4255/kitnew1.jpg
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6929/kitnew2.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4554/kitnew3.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/105/kitnew4.jpg

I'll be sure to come back here if I have anymore concerns... Kitty's been one of the best friends I've ever had, and I hope she stays with us for a long, long time.
Unread 07-18-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hello Kitty !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DootThaLoop View Post
Thanks for your concern... she seems fine today! I'll be careful not to do something stupid like that again. I'm pretty sure the chocolate in the icecream was milk chocolate, so it probably wasn't too harmful (if at all), right?

We call her "Kitty". I know it's very unoriginal, but we didn't like her adopted name (she was an older kitten when we got her, but someone had owned her before apparently). So we started trying to think of names (but couldn't really come up with any), and over time we kept saying "kitty, kitty, kitty" when trying to get her attention, and unfortunately that seems to have stuck. I can call "KITTY" from another room, and if she's not asleep, she'll come running, so I guess she thinks that's her name. Since it's been a couple years, it's too late to change it now anyway. I snapped a few quick pics of her a little bit ago, she's a beautiful calico

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4255/kitnew1.jpg
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6929/kitnew2.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4554/kitnew3.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/105/kitnew4.jpg

I'll be sure to come back here if I have anymore concerns... Kitty's been one of the best friends I've ever had, and I hope she stays with us for a long, long time.
How sweet how she would respond to you when you called her !!

What an adorable cat she is, with stunning eyes !! You both are blessed to have found each other.

May God bless her with many many years of good and happy life !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-19-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

It doesn't matter the qty, NEVER GIVE A CAT/DOG CHOCOLATE. POISON!!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 07-21-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
I totaly agree with this statement. Its not worth the wondering if a small amount is toxic or not. Kitty is a lovely furkid. Looks a lot like my sons cat Sidney (who unfortunetly got out one day and never returned)

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 07-21-2009   #9 (permalink)
cartouche

beautiful citation, my cat is near me, he understand me, he help me, but really, he stay a mistery for me when i look his eyes. A man sais, the most intelligent of the twice, is then who understand the other.

Unread 07-21-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
I also agree

Tags
adopted , adorable , age , animal , babies , beautiful , boyfriend , breeds , cat , cats , color , dog , dogs , eating , eyes , family , food , found , friends , happy , hey , kitten , kitty , love , mat , nose , poison , present , sick , small

Sponsored Cat Links