It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-19-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

jordi is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Please help with my ill cat HELP

Hello,

My cat is a cross between Siamese and European cat. One year ago, she had a bronchitis. I changed of veterinary 3 times because none of them were able to cure that illness, and got worse. As a result of the medication, her liver got inflamed and the veterinary said that she had a pancreatitis (inflamation of pancreas).

The third veterinary cured her bronchitis. But 2 months later the cat continued coughing. Her bronchial tubes were clean, so the veterinary said us that it was an allergy.

In the following months, every month and a half, she used to cough and sneeze. Then, we took them to the veterinary and he used an injection of cortisone to stop it. This repeated every month and a half.

We changed the litter box sand, and with the pass of time, coughs and sneezes have stopped or happen only sometimes.

But she started to lick her belly and in a line from the belly to the neck until she took her hair out. At the beginning the veterinary said that her throat was inflamed, but now it doesn't happen.

But this happens every month and a half: the cat stops eating her dry food, and sometimes regurgitates it (without having digested it) and makes gestures as if she can't swallow the food. When this happens, we take her to the veterinary, who injects her cortisone. Then we feed her with wet food, that is the only thing that she can eat. Some times she has difficulty for eating that too, but 5 days later she eats more, and we get her back to eat dry food 7-11 days later, that is when she can eat it again. Usually, 1 month and a half later the problem starts again.

When she eats wet food she asks for it every 1 hour, and if we don't give it, she sometimes vomits, so when she is ill we can't sleep at all. If the can has been opened more than 4 hours ago, she doesn't like it.

Please don't recommend me to change of veterinary 'cos I've talked with them all, and none of them is interested in a solution of the problem, just in solving the temporary problem (just the symptoms).

Also, I will value specially the opinions of people that suffered something similar or have a deep knowledge to solve this.

Can someone help me? Does someone of you had the same problem? How did you solve it?

Thanks in advance!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-19-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum!

it seems to me that your kitty (what's her name?) has several things going on at once, poor little thing.

How old is she? Let me see if I understand. the steroid shot, given every six weeks stops the obsessive licking, and stops the coughing and gagging.

When she is having trouble breathing (as the shot wears off) the only thing she can eat is canned food. Once the shot kicks in she is able to swallow her kibble again.

The steroid shot may be doing two things. there may be some inflammation in her windpipe which causes her to cough and gag. The steroid reduces the inflammation so she can breathe again.

The obsessive licking may be caused by itching, which of course is also temporarily helped by the steroid.

So, it sure does sound like allergy. Has food allergy been addressed? It may be that your kitty is allergic to her food, and this is causing both the breathing problems and licking.

I recommend, right after her next shot you change her to a special food that contains no known allergens to cats.

If her symptoms improve, and by the sixth week (when she will have been on the new food about 5 weeks, if you take a week to transition her) she is not beginning to have the same problems with coughing and licking, then you know it is a food allergy.

Next of course is to determine what it is in the food that she is allergic to, and keep away from those. Usually it is some form of protein: chicken, turkey, beef, or some gluten, that causes the allergy. Sometimes it is a grain such as corn or wheat or rice.

I am not a vet, but know a lot about cat health and the above is only my opinion. It is something for you to discuss withh your vet.

I have one more thing to add. You might try installing a couple of feliway plug in diffusers in your home to help reduce her stress.

please keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-19-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I do have one more thought. Has an xray or ultrasound been done of your cat's windpipe to see if there is anything blocking her airway?

I am thinking a growth of some kind. A growth would also respond to the cortisone shot, as steroid is anti inflammatory for growths as well as allergies.

I assume blood work has been done recently?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 07-19-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Unhappy

Thank you for kind answer.

My cat is called Lilit. She is 13 years old and we love her, we have her since she was 2 months old.

She has NO problem for breathing. She is not asthmatic at all. The vet said it.
She doesn't cough so much to be a problem. It is a problem in the past, but not now.
The real problem is that she can't eat.

We are trying to locate a food that does not contain soja, corn, weat, cereals, potatoes... but none of them is sold in our country. Only Almo Nature (that contains chicken and rice but none of the others) and Acana. We are still waiting to receive them and won't arrive in 4 weeks.
Unread 07-19-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default it's jsut me again :)

I meant to add that I think you are wonderful to work so hard at caring for your beloved furbaby.

I know it is expensive and time consuming and just plain wearing to go from vet to vet, and always have the constant worry of her health.

please read this first
Unread 07-19-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Yes as I say no problem for breathing, no asthma at all. We did lots of x-rays, more than 12 in some months with the 1st vet.
Unread 07-19-2009   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Yes thanks for your understanding. We also spent an enormous quantity of money and now that all veterinaries just can't tell us what is happening we are in desperation...
Unread 07-19-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi View Post
Thank you for kind answer.

My cat is called Lilit. She is 13 years old and we love her, we have her since she was 2 months old.

She has NO problem for breathing. She is not asthmatic at all. The vet said it.
She doesn't cough so much to be a problem. It is a problem in the past, but not now.
The real problem is that she can't eat.

We are trying to locate a food that does not contain soja, corn, weat, cereals, potatoes... but none of them is sold in our country. Only Almo Nature (that contains chicken and rice but none of the others) and Acana. We are still waiting to receive them and won't arrive in 4 weeks.
Okay I reread your original post.

Well, I see you have also anticipated me and are about to try a change in diet.

I do hope this will be the answer for Lilit rather than steroid shots every six weeks.

Be sure to change the food gradually, adding a little more of the new and less of the old each day to prevent tummy upset. You might give her a finger full of yogurt every day during the food change to help guard against intestinal distress.

There is also medication that can be tried, if the licking is thought to be "mental" rather than physical. Often a course of a med called amitriptyline, given over a period of a few months, then gradually stopped, can break the habit and she won't go back to it.

If you can get the feliway plug in diffusers, and/or rescue remedy, both of these products are excellent at helping reduce a kitty's stress.

Do you have a picture of your dear Lilit?

please read this first
Unread 07-19-2009   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you so much, good advice.

We changed from Royal Canin, that she has eaten for years, to Purina Pro Plan, but it also gave her problems. We think it may be the soja or weat or corn. But most of the dry food has those.

Why do you think that if she takes cortisone it takes 1 week to be able to eat again?

This is a pic of Lilit:

Unread 07-19-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oooooh, what a beautiful tortoiseshell cat Lilit is! I love torties but haven't had one since I sent my tortie Sissy to the Rainbow Bridge to wait for me at age 21, in December 1997.

It may be that the allergy is affecting her esophagus, and there is swelling there. So until the shot takes full effect she still has trouble swallowing.

it may also be that perhaps the shots make her nauseous. When a cat feels sick she will try to eat, maybe even mouth the food, but spit it out and/or vomit.

Since x rays have been done I won't talk about growths anymore.

I sure hope the food change does the trick for Lilit.

please read this first

Tags
addition , aggressive , allergic , allergies , allergy , art , belly , box , breathing , canned food , care , cat , cat food , cat health , cat help , cat's , cats , changed , clean , color , diet , dog , dry , dry food , eating , egg , eyes , fast , food , great , growth , health , healthy , hey , home , indoor , kittens , kitty , licking , lost , love , nutrition , opinion , orijen , picture , problems , puppy , raw , rescue , royal , scared , small , stress , transition , turkey , vaccine , vet , vomit , vomiting , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links