It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2009   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I am sorry your cat is having this problem. Constipation is very serious, and can lead to megacolon. The only cure for megacolon is surgery.

Laxatone is not an effective laxative, it's for hair balls, nor do you want your cat on other laxatives at 10 months old.

Pumpkin every day may help (pure pumpkin, not pie filling) but only if your cat will eat it.

Do you comb/brush your cat? If not, it's a good idea to get started on that now, and groom him daily. This will cut back on how much hair he swallows, it may be fur that is causing the back up.

Get him on a high quality food with as few grains as possible. You can even give him a little activa every day.

Please let us know what's happening with your beloved furbaby!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-22-2009   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post

Pumpkin every day may help (pure pumpkin, not pie filling) but only if your cat will eat it.

How are we supposed to let (make) them eat the pumpkin, Acer ? I will try to give Princess this too... Just being worried she will not eat it, coz she is a picky eater ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-22-2009   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
How are we supposed to let (make) them eat the pumpkin, Acer ? I will try to give Princess this too... Just being worried she will not eat it, coz she is a picky eater ...
I'll just pour fish oil on it
Unread 07-22-2009   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
I don't know, my megacolon girlie Ootay wouldn't touch the stuff. Plain, or mixed in food.

Constipation is such a problem. My Jennie has been having some trouble in that way too. I've put her on wellness indoor and I don't know if it's helping or not. It's higher fiber, but her poops are huge now.

I thought the higher quality of food, the smaller the poops (they sue more of the food, so less waste) but it's not happening.

I am very disappointed in the Wellness, frankly, and don't know if I will stick with it after what I stocked up on is gone.

It's important that cats get enough water too.

More canned food may help a cat who has constipation issues. Especially as you can even sneakily add a little extra water to the canned food.

Unread 07-23-2009   #15 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I don't know, my megacolon girlie Ootay wouldn't touch the stuff. Plain, or mixed in food.

Constipation is such a problem. My Jennie has been having some trouble in that way too. I've put her on wellness indoor and I don't know if it's helping or not. It's higher fiber, but her poops are huge now.

I thought the higher quality of food, the smaller the poops (they sue more of the food, so less waste) but it's not happening.

I am very disappointed in the Wellness, frankly, and don't know if I will stick with it after what I stocked up on is gone.

It's important that cats get enough water too.

More canned food may help a cat who has constipation issues. Especially as you can even sneakily add a little extra water to the canned food.

That's what I do --- I give extra water through bottle feeding and 'sneakily' ad some in their canned food...
Pouring some fish oil on pumpkin will only work for Anastasia -- not for my three... they'd rather take Lactic Acid Bacteria powder mixed in their food...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-23-2009   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
That's what I do --- I give extra water through bottle feeding and 'sneakily' ad some in their canned food...
Pouring some fish oil on pumpkin will only work for Anastasia -- not for my three... they'd rather take Lactic Acid Bacteria powder mixed in their food...
Haha, then it's really bad
Unread 07-27-2009   #17 (permalink)
Kitten

automaton2 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation what worked

I got lactulose from the vet
I tried it for 2 days no big change
I am soaking his afternoon kibble treat for 15 min. I tried adding before grain chicken can to it and voila loose stools
last night he laid a whopper thank goodness
Unread 07-27-2009   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thank you so much for the update!

I was not happy with the lactulose either, and Ootay loathed it. We, for other reasons that I won't go into here, switched her over to mineral oil, and she took that in a tiny amount of food. Twice a day. That food was not considered part of her daily intake.

If you do every have to return to laxatives remember to always give them on an empty stomach an hour before a meal. This is because laxatives can prevent the body from absorbing the nutrients in the food.

Did he eat the kibble with the water added? That's how I feed Jennie her kibble. Her snacks are dry but she also gets two kibble servings with water added. And two grain free canned servings a day also.

As he gets used to that I advise to not let it sit quite as long as 15 minutes before feeding it, as kibble forms bacteria fairly quickly when wet.

Poop news is happy news!
Unread 07-28-2009   #19 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton2 View Post
I got lactulose from the vet
I tried it for 2 days no big change
I am soaking his afternoon kibble treat for 15 min. I tried adding before grain chicken can to it and voila loose stools
last night he laid a whopper thank goodness
Hurray !! You finally figured it out !! You outsmart the vet too for soaking the kibble !!

Unread 08-09-2009   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I'm happy everything worked out. It sounded a bit scary. I'd be desperate too.

Last week I noticed that Anastasia didn't poop for over 24 hours, it really worried me and I thought of this thread. But I also had in mind that we silly Norwegians usually eat this "brown cheese" to help with this problem and Anastasia loves this cheese. I gave her more than I usually do and just a couple of hours later, she had finally pooped. Hooray! Saved me a trip to the vet.

Tags
art , belly , book , boy , brown , canned food , car , cat , cats , constipation , cut , diarrhea , dry , elderly , fiber , fish , food , found , free , fur , groom , hair balls , happy , hey , indoor , introduction , kitties , kitty , maine coon , night , poop , problem , scary , silly , small , smart , surgery , tips , uncomfortable , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links