It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

jordi is on a distinguished road
Question What amount of fat is healthy in wet and dry?

Hello,

What amount of fat is healthy in a canned food? I am trying to choose brands that are healthy. I know how to calculate the percentage but don't know if it's good or bad amount.

For example, a canned food with protein 56%, fat 22% and humidity 82%, 2% carbohidrates, is good or bad? too much fat?

And for dry food, is a dry food with 30% protein, 20% fat, humidity 8% 17% carbohidrates is good or bad? too much fat or not?

Thanks !!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Wow, great question. Now you made me curious too. I hope some other users will have this kind of knowledge. I've always just looked at the brand and chosen a high quality one.
Unread 07-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Jordan S.

thats prefectly fine. Cats need alot of fat to maintain good health.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

I used to do that too, but after reading so much I am really confused but I noticed that some famous foods are really horrible for cats!
Unread 07-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Really? 22% sounds very much. What is the acceptable range?
Unread 07-21-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi View Post
Really? 22% sounds very much. What is the acceptable range?
Don't worry ! If the fat intake is higher, just remember to increase your cat's exercise ... I use a laser pointer and feather wands every night, especially have to encourage my lazy butt Earl Blue to move a bit !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Don't worry ! If the fat intake is higher, just remember to increase your cat's exercise ... I use a laser pointer and feather wands every night, especially have to encourage my lazy butt Earl Blue to move a bit !
hehe, with Dino here, they all move permanently!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 07-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Or you could play "hide and seek"
Unread 07-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Fat and carbs are energy foods. For cats, fat from meat sources is better than carbohydrates.

Carbs like rice, wheat and corn can be allergens. Common proteins like chicken and beef can be allergens.

Protein sources like venison and rabbit are often recommended for cats who have suspected food allergies.

Grains are a cheap way to put "energy" into a pet food. the fewer grains (carbs) the better.

Finding a good safe healthy food for our beloved furbabies is so difficult! I've done tons of research but still don't really have many answers.

I had two cats on Hills prescription c/d because they have FLUTD. they actually were doing very well on it for many years, lots of energy, soft coats, bright eyes, compact low odor stools. But i the past six months Jennie was having some trouble with constipation, and Mazy seemed to be vomiting more.

I don't know if the c/d has changed their formula or what.

Tolly has been eating canned Fancy Feast his whole life, with an occasional snack of kibble and has always done well on it.

However, now that Ootay is gone, and the expense of her upkeep (several hundred dollars a month) I decided to get them on a "higher" quality food. I chose Wellness for a few reasons, availability, my vet likes it, no artificial ingredients, the formula I chose has a higher fiber, and most importantly Wellness makes the claim that their formulas control urine pH and prevent the formation of crystals.

This is important because of my FLUTD kitties.

Well I am sad to report that I am disappointed in the Wellness. the only improvement I've seen in any of them is Mazy has a nicer coat. Jennie has gained weight, and plays less than ever, Tolly doesn't like any of the wet flavors......

While I want my cats to eat well, I also want them to enjoy their food. Mazy and Jennie like the food just fine, but Tolly doesn't like the Wellness wet foods, and is not a big kibble eater.

Mazy is having her urine check next week to make sure the Wellness is doing what it claims as far as prevention of crystals and healthy urine pH.

some of the other high end foods have more protein than I am comfortable giving my cats. Its a tough study..cat food...and I don't have many answers.

I know (Jordi) that you are trying to find a food that will not trigger allergies in your senior cat. I hope you will keep us updated in your results.

Food changes have to take time, and that can be nerve wracking. A week to transition, then a month, at least, to see if the new food is going to the be the right one.

It's almost as bad as trying to find the right antidepressant!

Unread 07-22-2009   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

In gen the better foods take some looking into. I subjest you read Food pets die for by Ann N Martin, she cooks to much for my taste and her meals are to grainy for cats, but she has done research into what goes into most pet foods

Another good place to see is You tube what's REALLY in my pets FOOD?

Innova EVO, Instincts, Ziwi peak, Natures Logic, wellness core and grain free are the best canned I know of.

Dry long term does more harm then good. Though both EVO and Origen make decent ones

Tags
advice , age , allergies , antibiotics , canned food , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , changed , constipation , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eyes , fast , fiber , fish , food , free , great , health , healthy , hey , infection , joy , kitties , laser , lazy , lost , night , nutrition , pet , pet food , play , playing , poison , question , royal , sad , senior , senior cat , story , transition , urine , vet , vomiting , water , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links