It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

RustyL is on a distinguished road
Default Ringworm in multiple pet home from kitten with no signs

Hi all.

I have been fighting ringworm and going crazy in my home since the end of feb 09. I have 4 elderly cats ages 12-14 yrs, an 11 yr old shelti, 9 yr old pomeranian and a 9 month old siamese.

This is what started the ordeal:

I had to put one elderly cat "Rusty" to sleep because he was going to the bathroom out of the litter box for the last year off his life. Spent over 500.00 in vet bills to no avail. Nothing helped him. As hard of a decision it was, it broke my heart to have him euthanized. I felt it was a big health issue for my family in my opinion to let this continue in my home. I reached out for help with this. Not One Animal organization would help with vet bills because I am not on welfare or disability. This was in jan 09.

Valentines day/our wedding anniversary 09 my husband brings home a 5 month old siamese kitten he found on "Felines for Us" online that he bought for 250.00 thinking it would make me feel better about having to euthanize Rusty. I was very upset about this but tried to make the best of it and yes, a kitten in the house made me focus on something else other then grieving. He was brought to the vet for a health check before he was brought home....everything clear. Not one sign of ringworm.

2 weeks later I had lesions. Next My grandkids, husband & daughter got it. My Doc misdiagnosed it as staph. Next my elderly cat tinkerbell got it. My vet saw it was ringworm right away even though nothing showed up under a black light she had the lesions. He advised a 200.00 treatment plan for the new kitten and the 1 cat. I was in disbelief. I told him I would have research this. I bought a pet ringworm cream, spray and shampoo online guaranteed to work. I was treating the house and pets. It got worse. Now all my elderly cats had ringworm and my shelti. I went back to my vets to order the oral med itraconazole for ALL the pets. 3 months later I still have 1 cat "streek" with a patch of hair chewed down. 2 other cats "almond & joy" are still healing, tinkerbell looks good. Gizmo the shelti is healing. My pom "spyro never caught it and the siamese ended up losing one patch of hair on his ear during the 3 month treatment that has healed. No ringworm on me or my husband.

The breeder admitted the kitten had ringworm. She said she treated it with humane ringworm cream and dandruff shampoo for 2 weeks. She Never Thought To Have Him Tested before selling him.

I have had thoughts of sending all the cats to the pound to be euthanized because it seems like I will never get rid of the ringworm. After the 3 months of itraconazole I can not afford it no longer. I have used up all my money resources. I have switched to using the fungus bath treatment.

During all the treatments I have been cleaning the house with bleach, a special fungus spray and mopping and vacuuming daily. I didn't think I could handle the lime Sulfur dip but Now I'm thinking this is my last hope. Vet does not recommend it because of the age of the animals.

I have seeked help through the animal shelter here. All they offer is to euthanize. I posted on Animal Shelter Forums, share your knowledge My post is half gone. I have read everything possible online about ringworm. I went online seeking advice. One person said is get rid of the pets. No other responses. All I want is to cure these pets.

Thank you to those who took the time to read this.

Any Advice out there?? Will I be able to every get rid of this ringworm?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome,I am so sorry about your predicament.
I cannot advise you on this,hopefully another member will be here soon to help you.xxxxx
Unread 07-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Refused Autopsy

I just went through this. All my animals were infected, as well as my children. It was even in my daughters hair and ears.

I used topical Revolution on all my cats/dogs, it was gone in about 4 days. I now use it monthly...except for the dogs who have gone back to Frontline + Heartguard because they swim daily.

As for the humans we had to take one, little, orange tablet called Diflucan (usually for womens vaginal yeast infection, My husband was such a sport..lol!). Again, all gone within 4 days.

The Revolution can be purchased at 1800petmeds with a phoned in rx from your vet. Diflucan is $4 a tablet and can be purchased from your primary care physician who will lecture you endlessly about letting kids touch strays....ha!!!roll: Oh, wait!! Maybe that was just mine....

Last edited by Refused Autopsy; 07-23-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-24-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

I thank both of you for your concern and replies.

Refused Autopsy how long had you treated with the shampoos and spray before you tried revolution?

I will be talking to my vet about the revolution. I have some concerns with the age factor and few other things. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by RustyL; 07-24-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Unread 07-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
Refused Autopsy

Sorry...I answered this in pm. But for those using the search function...

We treated everyone (humans included) for almost a full month with shampoos, sprays (first recommended to use athletes foot spray)...even shaving the dogs to apply miconozole/other "alphabet 'zole" creams. No avail. My daughter actually has scarring to her chest...

The humans had only one option left after 2 office visits and OTC/RX creams failed....Diflucan (fluconozole oral. One tablet=10 days tx) Gone in approx. 4 days.

We only had two options left with the animals.... both had risks.

1. Revolution...some concerns about negative reviews from online pet sites. (My vet was confident in its safety and I am confident in my vet). Not actually marketed for this...a bit expensive since everyone was already on flea and heartworm preventative....another brand. (it is recommended to have a heartworm test before application)

2. Generic Fluconozole tablets for the animals.....concerns that it does not prevent re-infestation and this fungus (not actually a worm) had a long "shelf life". These tablets are only about $0.40 each and last 10 days...can be obtained through Doctors Foster and Smith website with a call to your vet. Some vets resent it, though...

I decided to go in order...and try step one before deffering to step two. It worked for us almost immediately....The dogs only had one treatment before being put back on their Frontline/heartguard. The cats will be loyal to Revolution from now on.

Unread 07-28-2009   #6 (permalink)
Bocata

My two kittens had the same thing and we are almost rid of the ringworm after only 5 days!! I did some research online after visiting the vet, spending $20 to diagnose with a light test, and another $40 on oral medication for both of them...and without success I must say. Searching online I found this article: ::: Ketoconazole& Ringworm ::: --- I have followed this to the letter after having my physician prescribe me the ketoconazole (My son and I needed them as well as we contracted the ringworm from the kittens).

Unread 07-28-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

I have not contacted my Vet yet as I need to get some money up to get further treatment for the animals. I'm a school bus driver and summer is hard on my income. I only have part time work in the summer.

In all my hours on end of research I have never found nothing on these two treatments. Vet (talked to every vet clinic in town) of course never suggested it and probably never heard of it. It's insane.

My vet said he has not seen ringworm in years. He went as far as to tell me to research it. I already had. He has never checked on the pets to see if everything is ok. I have called him 3 times since march. I have spent at least 1000.oo on meds different foods and vet bills and this is how it is. Other issue with rusty that they recommended 125.00 a week to get him regulated on insulin because they said he was borderline diabetic. First test did not show this. The animals still are ill.

Right now none of the pets have any lesions. 1 cat has irritated skin, does not look like ringworm. 1 cat has just healed from the last lesion. My shelti looks like he has flaking on some of his skin, more irritation?? Lesions on him are healed. 1 cat lost a small patch of hair not a bald spot so I did not know if it was normal shedding, thought I saw flaking and was worried she would get more lesions. Pom never got anything but has had the oral meds and fungus baths. 1 other cat looks healed, has nothing but some scars on the ears. The kitten has no signs of anything. Nothing on the humans. All the pets are still getting fungus baths and I'm still cleaning like mad because I'm so afraid they will have another outbreak.

Do the vets know how hard it is to bath, brush and blowdry a cat with ringworm?? 2 of my cats have been matting so bad I cut at least 6 mats out weekly. The hair goes EVERYWHERE. Not good when the ringworm spreads via the cat hair!

These two treatments posted above sound much more do-able then the baths. I pray I'm close to being over this although I know I still need to make sure and know that I don't have any carriers.

Thank you Bocata for sharing your information. This is another option I hope if this is not over with.
Unread 07-28-2009   #8 (permalink)
Bocata

The ketoconazole tablets were $10 and the ketoconazole cream 2% was $10. Considering one of the thirty tablets is almost a week's supply for the cats. Once cut up into six pieces it is a relatively inexpensive treatment. However, I had my doctor call this in for us (we had insurance and that was the copay for the meds).

Prior to this, the pharmacist told me to purchase over the counter Lamisol cream (always get the cheaper store brand) AND Nizoral shampoo. Did not work quite as well but ringworm did improve somewhat.

Nizoral (brand name) is the same thing as ketoconozale (generic name). Prescription strength is always better!!

I did have a ringworm spot on my arm and after three days of the pills mine was healing well. I merely used my meds on the cats after reading the showcats article.

Unread 09-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Update:

Kitten was taken to a cheaper vet in Aug to have fungus test done. Took him back to be neutered because this vet said she would neuter even if he tested positive for ringworm. Fungus test read negative on the 10th day. The vet threw it away. I was very disappointed she threw it out so early. During vet visit I warned the vet crew the kitten was a ringworm carrier. The tech seemed to take no precautions. I was surprised. Other vet did take precautions. OK, not happy about all this but who am I to question the vets? I was feeling paranoid. Told husband. He didn't seem to worry about how I felt so we took him back to this same vet to be neutered 2 weeks later. 10 days after neuter my kitten has a blood red lesion on the back of his neck the size of a pea that had lost almost all hair. I panicked. It was Sunday. I isolated him and started treating him for ringworm with what I had in the house already. Miconazole spray and shampoo. Called vet Monday. Asked if they could look at the spot for free to see if it was from the anesthetic they used for surgery. They said no. There would be a charge.

I ordered ketoconazole to start this treatment recommended in quote. Revolution is out of the question right now. It would cost about 400.00 to get all animals started on it after heart worm tests. 2nd vet will not prescribe it anyways though I'm sure I could find one that would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocata View Post
My two kittens had the same thing and we are almost rid of the ringworm after only 5 days!! I did some research online after visiting the vet, spending $20 to diagnose with a light test, and another $40 on oral medication for both of them...and without success I must say. Searching online I found this article: ::: Ketoconazole& Ringworm ::: --- I have followed this to the letter after having my physician prescribe me the ketoconazole (My son and I needed them as well as we contracted the ringworm from the kittens).
While waiting for the ketoconazole to arrive, I continued w/ the miconazole. All seemed to healing very well. I saw new thick hair growth quickly. On the 7th day kitten started scratching his lesion very bad. He scratched off his new hair growth that fast. The spray seemed to cause this all of a sudden.

Stopped spray. I was desperate. Cleaned spot up and put a dab of diluted bleach on spot to kill any fungus for less then a min then cleaned it off. Then I started tinactin 2 times a day with iodine 1 time a day, cleaned in between. He has had the first full 7 days of the ketoconazole. His spot, the only spot he has had since round 2 of suspected ringworm was healed but bald around the scar from the lesion which was about the size of an apricot. Keeping him isolated in his own room. Waiting the 14 days to do round 2 treatment of ketoconazole. Hoping to be able to do another fungus test as well from a different vet.

Through this my 14 yr old cat Joy all of a sudden became very ill. She was not able to walk. Sadly she was put to sleep because I could not afford treatment. I pray to get through this once and for all. Everyone has suffered.

Tags
advice , animal , bills , black , box , breeder , care , cats , children , cleaning , crazy , cut , dogs , elderly , fast , foster , found , frontline , growth , health , hey , home , house , infection , joy , kitten , kittens , litter box , lost , mat , money , new kitten , opinion , pet , pills , ringworm , search , shelter , siamese , sleep , small , strays , surgery , test , thoughts , upset , vet , vet bills , worry

Sponsored Cat Links