It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Inspired
katlady is on a distinguished road
Default Kitten with an Umbilical Hernia

This week I noticed one of my female kittens had an out pouching area on her abdomen. I did call the vet and they said if she wasn't in pain or acting normal, I could wait until their 6-week check-up next week. Seraphina is not in pain and I can manipulate the area without a reaction from her. She eats some solid foods(they just started eatting this week) and is nursing like normal. I can't determine bowel habits as it seems a couple of the kittens are just starting to use the litter pan and mom still licks at them. Her abdomen is soft and she is extremely active. Is this condition common? Does it mean surgery later? First kitten jitters from me.

Katlady
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

Hi Katlady,

I have some info regarding umbilical hernia on my site. Here is the link:

lovemeow.com/health/umbilical-hernia-in-cats/

The condition is more common in dogs than cats, but it is definitely not rare. If the opening is small, surgery is not required because for some cats, the hernia may close by itself as the kitty grows older. If the hernia is large, surgery is definitely needed, and usually done along with the spay or neuter surgery.

The site has more extensive information. Hope it helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~|
|~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hey ! I found you to be very informative Amy !!

Unread 07-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Hey ! I found you to be very informative Amy !!
haha thanks. I force myself to learn everyday

~|
|~
Unread 07-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemeow View Post
haha thanks. I force myself to learn everyday
And I learn from you !

Unread 07-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

It needs surgery for sure.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 07-23-2009   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have an appt for the kittens on July 31st so I'll keep a closer eye on Seraphina. Thanks for the info!! The site was very informative. I really appreciate everyone listening to me, a first-timer with kittens. After 8 weeks old I'm fine. It's the little ones that scare me!!!

Katlady---with Sahara, Lynx, Griswald, Little Girl, Cutie Pie, Blanca, Hazi, Angel and the little ones--Uzziel. Uriel, Seraphina and Ambriel
Unread 07-23-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Please be sure to keep us updated on Seraphina's hernia!
Unread 07-23-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I have an appt for the kittens on July 31st so I'll keep a closer eye on Seraphina. Thanks for the info!! The site was very informative. I really appreciate everyone listening to me, a first-timer with kittens. After 8 weeks old I'm fine. It's the little ones that scare me!!!

Katlady---with Sahara, Lynx, Griswald, Little Girl, Cutie Pie, Blanca, Hazi, Angel and the little ones--Uzziel. Uriel, Seraphina and Ambriel
Good luck with everything .

~|
|~
Unread 08-01-2009   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The kittens had their 6-week check-up yesterday. They are healthy and the vet was pleased with their progress. They also had their first shots-OW!!! As far as the hernia Seraphina has, the vet wasn't concerned because there is no bowel involvement. It's just fat that is protruding. She felt Seraphina could wait until she was 4 months old and have it done when she is spayed. I still have to keep an eye on it and I can push the fat back in when I handle her. The vet said I would definitely feel the difference if the bowel started to protrude--then she would have to have the surgery sooner. They all handled going to the vet just fine and all the employees just loved Angel and her little "angels".

Katlady--with Sahara, Lynx, Griswald, Little Girl, Cutie Pie, Blanca, Hazi, and Angel with Uzziel, Uriel, Seraphina and Ambriel----plus my 5 outdoor kitties under my deck

Tags
bowel , cats , dogs , eye , female , found , girl , great , health , healthy , hey , informative , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , litter , love , neuter , outdoor , prayers , rare , small , spay , spayed , surgery , vet

Sponsored Cat Links