It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Philly's mom is on a distinguished road
Default My cat is peeing?

My 17 yr old cat is peeing in the bathtub how do I stop this?
He is on pills for hyperthyroidism
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Philly needs to see the vet.

When a cat starts peeing in a strange place it's almost always because he is sick. He may have a kidney infection or a urinary tract infection. (UTI)

UTIs are very serious in male cats, if they block they die within 24 hours without emergency treatment.

Kidney infections and UTIs are both very painful, also.

Philly could also be developing kidney failure, which sometimes happens in hyperthyroid kitties. Kidney failure, while not curable can be managed with sub q fluids and special diet.

I recommend you don't delay, get him seen by his vet first thing tomorrow.

Please let us know what happens.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Philly's mom is on a distinguished road

Over 1 week ago philly was constipated and the vet put him on lactulose twice a day.
Then 6 days later my boyfriend took him back due to no improvement. The vet said he has a large tumor and to put him down. I was so devestated I said no. Then tuesday past philly went to see his regular dr and he said it was NOT a tumor just old poop that he had crushed with his hands. Now Philly is eating more than last week and peeing in the bath tub . My boyfriend just realised what has been going on.
What can we do now?
Unread 07-24-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly's mom View Post
Over 1 week ago philly was constipated and the vet put him on lactulose twice a day.
Then 6 days later my boyfriend took him back due to no improvement. The vet said he has a large tumor and to put him down. I was so devestated I said no. Then tuesday past philly went to see his regular dr and he said it was NOT a tumor just old poop that he had crushed with his hands. Now Philly is eating more than last week and peeing in the bath tub . My boyfriend just realised what has been going on.
What can we do now?
Oh my goodness. I am sorry, but what's wrong with the vet!! How could he mistake old waste with a tumor??? he could have put the cat to sleep because of that.

There are many ways to treat constipation which don't involve medications. I never like the idea of using chemicals to treat furries unless it is really necessary. Side effects can really screw up a cat's health. I have had a lot of bad experience with vets and the medications they prescribed. Most of the constipation cases are caused by dehydration, others could be due to stress or blockages.

I have some information regarding cat constipation on my site: lovemeow.com/health/cat-constipation-what-should-i-do/

It is the best to consult a vet about the peeing problem and get the correct diagnosis. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~|
|~
Unread 07-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

This is unbelievable how the vet could mistakenly take old poop as a tumor !! I'm glad that you insisted !!

I agree that constipation is treatable even without medication. I used to give my kitties (especially Princess) Lactic Acid 'good' bacteria powder mixed in their wet food. I also bottle feed them extra water.

Unread 07-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I will reiterate that inappropriate peeing almost always means there is something wrong.

How long has Philly been on the methimazole? (tapazol)

All the stress of the vet visits and constipation could have caused a urinary tract infection.

Constipation can be a symptom of kidney disease, when was the last time Philly had blood work?

Philly needs blood work to determine if all his organs are healthy and to make sure his thyroid levels are in the right place, and a urinalysis to determine if he has a UTI.

I am sorry about the constipation issue, constipation can become a very serious problem very fast. lactulose can be effective but it is nasty stuff, and won't help if if the kitty spits it out or vomits it.

Better to get the whole picture first (new blood work, urinalysis) before doing anything else.

Make sure to see your own vet, not the one who carelessly diagnosed tumor.

You are a good cat mama to care and worry, I hope you can get to the bottom of his problems soon. UTIs are painful, and very dangerous in male cats.

Unread 07-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

You are very thorough, Acer in explaining the whole thing ! I keep learning from you each time !!

Unread 07-24-2009   #8 (permalink)
Refused Autopsy

I agree with Acer...time for a re-eval. Quick.

Good luck, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

Unread 07-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
You are very thorough, Acer in explaining the whole thing ! I keep learning from you each time !!
Thank you Irene. I have a lot of personal experience with all these issues, constipation (and megacolon) hyperthyroid, UTIs, kidney disease and so on, so I am on solid ground with my advice. (though there are lost of issues I don't know much about except through reading and other's experiences)

All my cats are/have been special needs, they just seem to find me.

Unread 07-24-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Thank you Irene. I have a lot of personal experience with all these issues, constipation (and megacolon) hyperthyroid, UTIs, kidney disease and so on, so I am on solid ground with my advice. (though there are lost of issues I don't know much about except through reading and other's experiences)

All my cats are/have been special needs, they just seem to find me.

I have certainly learned a lot from you thank you. Your furkids find you because they know a good person who will take the best posible care of them.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!

Tags
advice , bath , boyfriend , care , cat , cat's , cats , constipation , diet , eating , fast , food , health , healthy , hey , hyper , infection , kitties , kitty , lost , male , mistake , peeing , picture , pills , poop , problem , problems , sick , sleep , stop , stress , uti , vet , water , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links