It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-26-2009   #1 (permalink)
madlincarr

Default Cranberry Juice for Bladder Infection

My cat has/had a bladder infection and was on prescription meds until Thursday. On Saturday I noticed he was acting strange again (in litter box every time I walked by.)

Because today is Sunday, I wondered if anyone knows if it would be OK to give him cranberry juice until we can see vet tomorrow.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-26-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I am sorry to hear your boy cat has this serious problem. He may be forming crystals in his urine.

Antibiotics will cure the bacterial infection but will not help with the crystals.

I wouldn't recommend cranberry juice, I suggest you find an emergency vet today. Males can block very easily and once they block they die within 24 hours without emergency treatment, and are in great pain.

I don't mean to scare you but this is a very serious condition he has now. Is there anything coming out when he strains and squats?

He is most likely in a lot of pain. Please, call your vet's office and find out who is on call, and get him seen today.

This is an emergency situation.

please come back and let us know what happens

Last edited by acerlt; 07-26-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typso
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-26-2009   #3 (permalink)
madlincarr

He can still pee-wee ... but it is very frequent and he is relieving his bladder.

Unread 07-26-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Okay, if he is still peeing he is not blocked yet. the reason he keeps running to the box and squeezing out little bits is because the pain and irritation makes him feel like he has to go all the time.

The danger is, the male cat has a very narrow urethra. They can block very quickly and suddenly. A crystal, bigger than the others can cause him to block.

Even the inflammation and irritation of squatting and peeing every few mintues can cause enough swelling to make him block.

I know emergency vet care is expensive but tomorrow may be too late, and he is in a lot of pain, now.

He needs to see the vet to be given pain medicine, and fluids to help flush things out, and he may need to be catherterized.

There isn't anything you can do for him at home. No human pain meds are safe for cats.
Unread 07-26-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi, I just wanted to ask that you do please come back at some point and update me on your beloved boy.

In my hurry to help you I forgot to mention that I applaud your quick action in recognizing that he had a problem in the first place and getting him to the vet.

All paws crossed that you get him seen today and he will be feeling better soon.

Last edited by acerlt; 07-27-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Unread 07-27-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thought I'd check for an update before I shut down for the night. Please let me know how your boy is doing when you can. I care.
Unread 07-27-2009   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

kathie is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can. Cranberry juice is an old folk remedy that has a long history of usage for preventing and treating urinary-tract infections. But I suggest you bring your cat to the vet. Nothing beats professional care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unread 07-27-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie View Post
Yes, you can. Cranberry juice is an old folk remedy that has a long history of usage for preventing and treating urinary-tract infections. But I suggest you bring your cat to the vet. Nothing beats professional care.
It's an old remedy for HUMANS, not cats. Your best bet is to get the cat vet care, and CAT meds.
Unread 07-27-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
It's an old remedy for HUMANS, not cats. Your best bet is to get the cat vet care, and CAT meds.
Yeah I do wonder if those remedy for humans will also work for cats or animals ?

Unread 07-27-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

maggiemay is on a distinguished road

After you have taken your boy to the vets you could try to give him a vitamin C tablet once a day to help the problem coming back, I had the same problem with my Smokey and once he was cleared the vet told me that I could try to give him a vitamin C tablet and it helped to keep the uti from returning!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!

Tags
advice , antibiotic , antibiotics , bladder , box , boy , care , cat , cats , diet , female , food , great , hey , home , infection , kitties , kitty , litter , litter box , male , night , pee , peeing , problem , problems , urine , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links