It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Location: Originally from Northern VA, I now live in Georgia.
malondeedee is on a distinguished road
Question garlic for fleas?

has anyone heard of feeding cats garlic to help repell fleas? Someone told me she uses it on her dogs and cats to help naturally ward off fleas. If not does anyone know of anything else that is good. We have an infestation and capstar and frontline and constant vacuuming arent cutting it. we are looking into foggers but im trying to look up natural flea repellents for the long run so we dont have this problem again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-30-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by malondeedee View Post
has anyone heard of feeding cats garlic to help repell fleas? Someone told me she uses it on her dogs and cats to help naturally ward off fleas. If not does anyone know of anything else that is good. We have an infestation and capstar and frontline and constant vacuuming arent cutting it. we are looking into foggers but im trying to look up natural flea repellents for the long run so we dont have this problem again.
I only heard (scientific report) that garlic is TOXIC for cats !! Onions contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which destroys red blood cells in the cat, causing a form of anemia called Heinz body anemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in a lesser amount.

Please DON'T give them garlics, I will suggest that you use Frontline Plus instead, which is very effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-30-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

our vet is saying that frontline is becoming ineffective in parts of the world (like here in ga) the fleas are adapting. I have also heard this but my source says in small amts. it is ok. I will definitly be checking with my vet before proceeding with any regimen but i was wondering if anyone else had heard of this or another remedy. PPl have also said apple cider vinegar works but i dont know.
Unread 07-30-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Chatty
zhazie meow is on a distinguished road

garlic and cats is a no go , is it an adult cat or a kitten? and for the photo junkies...pictures if possable .

for my foster kitten's ive been having to comb the flea's off and kill them as no one knows how old they are. am leaving it a good couple of weeks then will find a proper flea killer. also is it an out door kitty or indoor? x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--my tribute to my kittys! proud momma to Mizu,pandora,jazzmine,suki,stich and elliot

one day cats will rule the world...its best to get in their good books now!

Rainbowbridge: teska And lennon , miss you everyday bubba's xx
Unread 07-30-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Quote:
our vet is saying that frontline is becoming ineffective in parts of the world (like here in ga) the fleas are adapting. I have also heard this but my source says in small amts. it is ok. I will definitly be checking with my vet before proceeding with any regimen but i was wondering if anyone else had heard of this or another remedy. PPl have also said apple cider vinegar works but i dont know.
Yes I was told by a pet shop owner years ago, that garlic capsules given to your cat would stop the fleas from biting.
I didn't try it myself, I just got frontline.
And I didn't find out until I joined this forum last year, that garlic is toxic to our beloved pets.
Thank God I didn't take that mans advice. xxxxx
Unread 07-30-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The problem with this thinking is, since garlic is toxic to cats (causes anemia) those small amounts may build up over time, and eventually turn into a toxic level in their little bodies. Cat's bodies are not made to process garlic. Garlic is poison to cats. It's not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I have heard that about frontline too. But maybe not frontline PLUS.

If you are not using frontline PLUS, switch to that. You can also switch to Revolution for cats.

Revolution and frontline PLUS both break the life cycle of the flea because they kill the eggs.

Regular frontline and regular advatage do not kill flea eggs. So the fleas have to grow up before getting killed.
Unread 07-30-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

thanks. It doesnt seem worth it to try but i am going to ask my vet about it for my dog. Because we have and indoor/outdoor cat (i dissapprove but we do live in a pretty safe environ for it and the cats are safe when out) she brings fleas to the indoor ones. We are using frontline plus and it only seems to be lasting a week or two. I think this is primarily because the fleas are now in our carpet so the cats keep getting hit by waves of new ones. (we will be getting the house fogged soon to kill them). I am hoping that we will have a good cold fall that will kill all the ones outside and allow us to get them completely out and get prepared to not have this problem again next summer.
Unread 07-30-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks. It doesnt seem worth it to try but i am going to ask my vet about it for my dog. Because we have and indoor/outdoor cat (i dissapprove but we do live in a pretty safe environ for it and the cats are safe when out) she brings fleas to the indoor ones. We are using frontline plus and it only seems to be lasting a week or two. I think this is primarily because the fleas are now in our carpet so the cats keep getting hit by waves of new ones. (we will be getting the house fogged soon to kill them). I am hoping that we will have a good cold fall that will kill all the ones outside and allow us to get them completely out and get prepared to not have this problem again next summer.
I've found several sites that state that garlic is bad for cats AND dogs:
I never give anything garlic to my dog or my cats.

"Despite its healing qualities, Garlic contains a compound named thiosulphate. In extremely high levels thiosulphate can be a dangerous toxin that cause hemolytic anemia in dogs"

Toxins that poison dogs:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Avocado
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Salt
- Yeast dough
- Garlic
- Products sweetened with xylitol
Unread 07-30-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Crystal is correct and I was about to say the same thing. Garlic is toxic to dogs, also.

I'm not clear on something, are you treating ALL animals in the household? If you are not treating all animals with the Frontline plus it can't do the job it's supposed to do.

If you are treating all animals try switching to Revolution for a while. Revolution for dogs for the dogs, Revolution for cats for the cats.

I have another question, where do you purchase your Frontline plus? If you don't get it at the vet, there is no guarantee it actually IS frontline. Frontline plus, Revolution and Advantage sell only to vets.

Bought elsewhere they are bootleg and may not be the real thing, and are not guaranteed by the manufacturer.

My vet undersells those on line pet stores, checking prices daily, so that people will buy the real thing. Plus when you buy six you get one free. that is a manufacturer promotion, not my vet.

If you are purchasing from your vet, and treating all animals, I suggest you contact the maker of frontline plus and see what they have to say about the fact that their product is not helping you.

Be sure to wipe down all surfaces your pets walk on or sleep on after bombing.

Hope the switch in flea med and bombing solves your problem.
Unread 07-30-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I've found several sites that state that garlic is bad for cats AND dogs:
I never give anything garlic to my dog or my cats.

"Despite its healing qualities, Garlic contains a compound named thiosulphate. In extremely high levels thiosulphate can be a dangerous toxin that cause hemolytic anemia in dogs"

Toxins that poison dogs:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Avocado
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Salt
- Yeast dough
- Garlic
- Products sweetened with xylitol
Thank you for this Crystal. Unripe tomatoes, and the tomato plant itself (stem, leaves) is also highly toxic to dogs and cats.

Tags
adult , advice , age , biting , care , carpet , cat , cat's , cats , clean , cut , dog , dogs , fleas , foster , found , free , frontline , hey , house , indoor , kitten , kitty , opinion , pet , pictures , poison , problem , problems , question , sleep , small , stop , vet

Sponsored Cat Links