It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
kweigel89

Default Kitten Stopped Eating Wet Food!

Hello,

I adopted a kitten at the end of June when she was 2 1/2 months old. At the time she ate wet food and dry food. (I used to feed her meow mix wet food when I first got her and she loved it, at it all right up. Then i tried Whiska's in the pouch because it was cheaper, and she only liked the gravy out of it. I noticed she started to shy away from the pouches so I purchased 9lives in the can, and she wouldn't eat any of that. So I then went back to the meow mix wet food I originally bought and she still won't eat it. She sniffs the food, and then paws the ground next to her.

She is now 4 months old and last week she suddenly stopped eating wet food. Because she stopped eating wet food she is eating twice as much dry food.

I have checked her teeth and gums and they seem and appear to be healthy.

Does anyone know what might be wrong, or has had a similar experience?

I am pretty worried.

Thank you.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! What's your kitten's name?

Some cats just prefer dry food over canned. A balance of dry and canned is best, because cats don't have a high thirst drive, and canned food is mostly water.

But if she won't eat it, well, as long as she is eating enough kibble, just make sure she has lots of fresh clean water available (a bowl in every room is good). Best to get her on a higher quality kibble though, meow mix is not really a very good food. Look for a food that has meat as the first two ingredients, no by products or wheat gluten.

If you think she is sick, of course, bring her to the vet. Is she pooping and peeing normally?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-09-2009   #3 (permalink)
kweigel89

My kitten is named Trixie.

And she is peeing and pooping normally. She drinks a lot of water, she has since day one.

Also, I feed her Purina Kitten Chow for dry food. Is that a good dry food?

She seems to love it

Unread 08-09-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Purina Kitten chow is not the highest quality food out there, but it is nutritionally complete for her first year of growth and many kittens have thrived on it.

here is a little info on it.

Kitten Food: Purina® Kitten Chow® brand Kitten Food Nurturing Formula

As long as Trixie is gaining weight and growing like she should I'm sure she will be fine. When she is one year old you will want to transition her to an adult food, but time enough for that.

I'll bet you are having lots of fun playing with her and bonding with her!

Got any pictures of Trixie?
Unread 08-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
kweigel89

Thanks for the advice!

Do you have any recommendations for other kitten food, as well as adult food for when I'm ready to switch her?

Here are a few pictures

Unread 08-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Awwww!!! Orangetabbyness! I love them! They're just soo adorable..
Unread 08-10-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Aaaawww ! Trixie is soooooo cute !!

I agree with Acer, it's just her preference, at least she eats and drinks normally ! I heard about Purina too...(not being the best quality of food) In Taiwan there is a series of better quality Purina with special formula for indoor cats & long-haired cats (contains real chicken meat). But that series is for one year old kitties.

But I used to feed my kitties with Choice kitten dry food. Only if Choice is not available (sometimes imported items will experience delay and shortage) I will give them Royal Canin or Hills Science Diet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-10-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Awww, *melts into a puddle of kitty love* orange tabby! I love them (I have one too!)
Unread 08-10-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Oh, Trixie is just a little darling, so pretty

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 08-10-2009   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

Ka ka ka kitty face is on a distinguished road

did you try a different wet food?

I try to give my cat better foods, never the kind found in grocery stores.

Usually Weruva and TikiCat. I have Before Grain dry food that I only feed if I'm going to be gone for many hours. I like it because it is high protein and not full of useless fillers. Plus it is very small kibble, which is good for cats. (kibble expanding in stomach, causing them to puke and whatnot).

Try a different wet food, because too much dry is what puts pounds on cats, also facilitates kidney problems later in life. They are strict carnivores and need their meat.

Tags
9lives , adopted , adorable , adult , advice , age , canned food , car , cats , clean , cute , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , fun , growth , healthy , hey , indoor , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitties , love , meow , peeing , pictures , playing , problems , royal , sick , small , transition , turkey , vet , water , weight , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links