It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Ka ka ka kitty face is on a distinguished road
Default Vitamin C for gum health

The vet told me to do this. He understands I am strapped for cash in these times of destitution, and cannot afford to have Sam's teeth cleaned YET. The vet used his thumbnail and chipped off huge chunks of calculus off of his back teeth. He said he would only attempt doing that with good cats. He said Sam is very mellow for an ex city street cat (which is why we gather he was once owned by someone).

He told me to crush up about 200 mg of Vit C in his wet food daily, this will help his gums at least until I can afford to take him for a real cleaning. I'm a dental hygienist (not enough hours, hence my lack of $$) and I know the importance of healthy gingiva.

I just thought this was interesting that it can benefit cats the same way.

Wanted to share this tidbit with anyone that didn't already know.

(first time cat owner, so I apologize if this is obvious common knowledge)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Eliz K is on a distinguished road

Yeah... my vet told me that too. He said taking vitamin daily will inprove the cat's skin health. Previously my cat was infected by skin desease, after consuming some vitamin C, it's cure now!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you!

I have never heard of that, so thank you for the tip! Vitamin C helps boost the immune system.

So Sam is not objecting to having the vitamin C added to his food?

To all reading: be sure to check with your vet before starting with the vitamin C, or any supplement for that matter. Some cats may have special health concerns which could be aggravated by certain supplements.

You can also start using an enzymatic veterinary toothpaste called c.e.t.

This toothpaste breaks down bacteria in the cat's mouth, helping to prevent tartar from forming, and which of course helps keep the gums healthy and avoids tooth decay.

Don't ever use human toothpaste in cats. It's toxic to them.

And most toothpastes you find in pet stores aren't really any good. You need an enzymatic toothpaste, which is c.e.t. It can be purchased through your vet.

If anyone wants tips on how to get your cat used to having his or her teeth brushed I will be happy to provide them!

Last edited by acerlt; 08-10-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Unread 08-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Vitamins and mineral supplements play major roles in ensuring your cat is healthy and strong. Vitamin C, for example, is important in the synthesis of collagen, which is the most widely distributed tissue in the body. The belief was that there are no known dietary requirements for vitamin C in cats as they can synthesize their own Vitamin C from glucose in their liver. Recent studies have shown they need vitamin C supplementation, as they do not produce enough on their own.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 08-12-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I'm aware that cats need vitamins too, in order to enhance their immune system, now thanks for sharing this, vits. are also good for teeth and skin.
I also give my kitties vitamins (drops for Princess Tiger and paste for the rest of them).
Now, I even switched their dry food to holistic that also contains vitamins. C is especially a powerful antioxidant !

Tags
cat , cat's , cats , cleaning , dry , dry food , food , happy , health , healthy , hey , interesting , kitties , mat , pet , play , tips , toothpaste , vet , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links