It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-13-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Lacey_080790 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Kitten with deformed foot...

Okay so first off, Hi I'm new here. =)

Last night my partner and I came across an add on CraigsList.com stating that a couple had found 2 very young (2 day old) kittens in their barn. They kept an eye on them and the mother never came back, so they brought them inside and posted the add. They dropped them off at our house late last night prolly 10pm ish.

There's a little orange one (We named him Kai meaning fire) and a little black one (he doesn't have a name yet.) They are bottle fed now. They are both eating 2-3ML of KMR every 2-3 hrs. They are both pooping and peeing, and being very active when they are awake. My problem is the black ones back right foot is deformed. It seems like he can't bend and straighten that leg like he can the other one, and his paw on that leg is bent back. Kind of like if you were to take your foot and half way bend it down at a 45 degree <

We have no intentions of putting him down because of this, we just want to know what it is called and what can be done about it if anything. I've been searching the web for hrs now trying to find SOMETHING on it and can't.

Here's a pic of his foot... he was squirming so it was hard to get a good pic. (and as you can see, they still have their umbilical cord stump)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-13-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Keep up the awesome work !!

Hi Lacey ! Welcome aboard ! A special thank you for you and your partner for taking in both Kai and her brother.
I think it obviously a born defect. It's not very clear to tell from the picture. But if the defect does not affect the quality of his life, for an indoor cat, I think it's fine. Please keep a closer eye on his quality of life. Observe if he still pee and poo regularly, eat, sleep, drink and play normally and happily, without pain.... Otherwise, if he seems to be in pain, please take him to see the vet for maybe an x-ray...
Please keep us updated. You are a new hero here !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-13-2009   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Hi Lacey ! Welcome aboard ! A special thank you for you and your partner for taking in both Kai and her brother.
I think it obviously a born defect. It's not very clear to tell from the picture. But if the defect does not affect the quality of his life, for an indoor cat, I think it's fine. Please keep a closer eye on his quality of life. Observe if he still pee and poo regularly, eat, sleep, drink and play normally and happily, without pain.... Otherwise, if he seems to be in pain, please take him to see the vet for maybe an x-ray...
Please keep us updated. You are a new hero here !!
We try. We rescued a little boy kitten about 3 months ago and it broke our hearts to find him a home, so I decided I wanted a kitten for my birthday... and found these two boys. (Kai is boy lol) And the black one finally got a name tonight lol, he will be known as Jack. I'll take more pics of his foot when we feed them again soon, I don't want to wake him up just for pictures. I told my vet about them and they said not to bring them in until they are like 2-3 wks old unless they become lethargic. Until they are that old the vet can't really give them meds or do much because of their small size.

OH! Any tips on getting these two to take to the bottle? We have to syringe feed them right now because they are just NOT having the bottle at all. And I don't like feeling like I'm force feeding them... I'm hoping in a few days once they grow it will fit in their mouths better but idk. Kai likes to sleep in my hands, he's my cute boy... and noms my fingers.
Unread 08-13-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I know how it broke your heart after fostering the kitten for a while and had to give up on him.... so I can sense, you really treasure these two little boys, Kai and Jack. Happy belated Birthday to you too !
From the picture, I think they're more than a week old now... (all eyes open ?). I think soon they will learn to drink from a feeding bottle (especially for small pet). Meanwhile, it's okay to feed them using the syringe. I did that before (both syringe and bottle). They'll eventually learn how to drink (and eat) properly as they grow up.

All paws crossed !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-13-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
I know how it broke your heart after fostering the kitten for a while and had to give up on him.... so I can sense, you really treasure these two little boys, Kai and Jack. Happy belated Birthday to you too !
From the picture, I think they're more than a week old now... (all eyes open ?). I think soon they will learn to drink from a feeding bottle (especially for small pet). Meanwhile, it's okay to feed them using the syringe. I did that before (both syringe and bottle). They'll eventually learn how to drink (and eat) properly as they grow up.

All paws crossed !!
They are for sure only about 3 days old.
Here's some pix for size comparison. Their eyes are not open... not even close lol.

In this pic ^ you can kind of see Jacks foot and how it's bent... but he kind of blends in lol

For some reason he looks bigger than he really is.

Btw, the other kitten we rescued was okay (despite a case of coccidia (sp?) after 10 days of meds he was a-okay.) We found him a nice home. He was 2 wks when we got him... so a lot bigger than these guys. He was starting to walk when we got him. These two just scoot.
Unread 08-13-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:

All paws crossed !!

Here's a cute pic of Kai. And what's really cute is they were born on our two youngest kitties 1st birthday... I think it was meant to be with these two boys.
Unread 08-13-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Aaawww they're sooo tiny and cute ! Now I can see it, as you compare the size with a pen... I think the first impression you gave me, is coz you have a small hand.. Their eyes will usually open after 1 - 2 weeks of age.

Yes, I agree, both Kai and Jack are God-sent ! A special birthday present from above ! Concats !

Tell us also about your other kitties...

Unread 08-13-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Aaawww they're sooo tiny and cute ! Now I can see it, as you compare the size with a pen... I think the first impression you gave me, is coz you have a small hand.. Their eyes will usually open after 1 - 2 weeks of age.

Yes, I agree, both Kai and Jack are God-sent ! A special birthday present from above ! Concats !

Tell us also about your other kitties...
So an update on the kitties... Kai didn't make it. We think he had a hole in his heart causing his lungs to fill with fluid. But after he passed we went outside and ended up seeing a shooting star, so we know hes safe. Jack is doing well so far, despite missing his brother. He's eating out of the bottle =)

What would you like to know about our other three kitties? Momma (Lovey) is we think atleast part bengal, and talkative... she likes to lick the outside of the garbage can (it used to be coroplast until we threw it away, so she switched to the garbage can.) Mouse is the first born in Lovey's one and only litter. She was breech, and stuck with no sack for about 3 hrs. It was our first litter, so we didn't know that she was breech, and my can't didn't hardly make a peep when in hard labor, so I had no clue she was trying to get her out. Despite a scary start, Mouse is perfectly healthy. Peanut Butter was number 2 of the litter, and looks just like her mom except her colors.. She's the shy one, but loves to cuddle on her terms. The other two kitties in the litter we found homes for, but Malikai was the only boy, all black, with white paws and chest and faint tabby markings. Jelly was the last living kitten of Loveys litter, and her and PB would cuddle all the time (hence the names) She ended up being bigger than her brother. Snickers was the last born, and sadly still born, but looked EXACTLY like her momma.

There's their life story so far, except Lovey's, but I don't want the post to be to long.
Unread 08-13-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey_080790 View Post
So an update on the kitties... Kai didn't make it. We think he had a hole in his heart causing his lungs to fill with fluid. But after he passed we went outside and ended up seeing a shooting star, so we know hes safe. Jack is doing well so far, despite missing his brother. He's eating out of the bottle =)

What would you like to know about our other three kitties? Momma (Lovey) is we think atleast part bengal, and talkative... she likes to lick the outside of the garbage can (it used to be coroplast until we threw it away, so she switched to the garbage can.) Mouse is the first born in Lovey's one and only litter. She was breech, and stuck with no sack for about 3 hrs. It was our first litter, so we didn't know that she was breech, and my can't didn't hardly make a peep when in hard labor, so I had no clue she was trying to get her out. Despite a scary start, Mouse is perfectly healthy. Peanut Butter was number 2 of the litter, and looks just like her mom except her colors.. She's the shy one, but loves to cuddle on her terms. The other two kitties in the litter we found homes for, but Malikai was the only boy, all black, with white paws and chest and faint tabby markings. Jelly was the last living kitten of Loveys litter, and her and PB would cuddle all the time (hence the names) She ended up being bigger than her brother. Snickers was the last born, and sadly still born, but looked EXACTLY like her momma.

There's their life story so far, except Lovey's, but I don't want the post to be to long.
Awww I'm so sorry about Kai. He was put on this earth for just a second really and the shooting star was a sign from him I'm sure. We often see Monarch butterflys in our garden and we think its our grandson Connor who was stillborn. It sounds like Jack is a fighter in spite of his deformity. I don't know much about these things but maybe his foot is like this because of how he was in the womb? I don't know.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 08-13-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome and hurray for you for rescuing these babies. I'm sorry about Kai, but because of you he knew love. Red boys are my favorite and I cried over his death. even though I only heard about him two minutes ago.

It's most likely the mama cat abandoned them because she knew there was something wrong with them. Kai's internal trouble, and Jack's deformity.

Thanks being such a hero!

Tags
adorable , babies , bengal , birthday , black , boy , cat , eating , eye , eyes , found , great , healthy , hey , home , homes , indoor , jack , kai , kitten , kittens , kitties , lacey , litter , loss , love , missing , mouse , pee , picture , play , playing , poo , present , save , save a life , scary , sleep , small , stories , story , tabby , vet , vocal , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links