It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Mikki is on a distinguished road
Default HELP - My Cat Won't Eat!

We have a 6 month old Blue Point Siamese, Loki. He was neutered Wednesday. I picked him up from the vet around 5:30 Wednesday and he seemed fine. By Thursday he was not himself. He was sick during the night and didn't eat breakfast or dinner. He ate a little Friday but hasn't eatten since. My husband and I are very worried, I'm wondering if this is perhaps a side of the anesthesia.

I plan to call the vet first thing tomorrow morning but was just wondering if this is normal. I have two other cats, one is a 17 year old Seal Point. It's been so long since he was neutered I don't remember anything like this. I have a 3 year old Lynx Point that was a rescue, didn't go through it with him either.

Bryce, my old man goes through spells that he won't eat but it usually only lasts 24 hours or so and he's back to normal.

Loki is sucha special baby and this has both of us really on edge. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mikki
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I'd go to the vet, but you are, so please update us tomorrow!

Mine would eat the next morning after I had her spayed and that's even more complicated than neutering. Maybe he's stressed. At least he ate something on Friday.
Unread 08-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Oh and have you tried feeding him delicous treats? Like pieces of chicken or fish?
Unread 08-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

To answer your question, no this is not normal. I recommend you call the vet right now, do not wait until tomorrow.

I am sorry your beloved Loki is not feeling well. He' looks very sweet.

you can try baby food, chicken or beef, but be sure there are no spices in it, just plain.

You can try human canned white meat chicken or tuna, (packed in water)again, be sure there are no spices. This may be a good idea anyway, to get some liquid into him. Give him some of the the liquid with a little warm water added and just a bit of the chicken or tuna.

You might try hand feeding him. Hold him on your lap and offer him a little canned food or baby food from your finger.

If he has not eaten since Friday he may become very seriously dehydrated.

If you can't get something into him right now, after trying these suggestions, I suggest not waiting until tomorrow. Call your vet office and find out who is on call and call them.

Welcome to the board and please do let us know what happens.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thumbs up

This is Loki and Bryce, my old man.

Thanks to all of you for your support. It's such a comfort to talk to someone.

I tried baby food and tuna he showed now interest. When I offered him tuna water he tried to cover it up. He did drink plain water about 30 minutes ago and quite a bit of it so he has consumed fluids which I take as a very good sign. If he wasn't drinking water I would be insisting on the emergency clinic but since he is drinking he should be safe at least for 12 more hours don't you think?

Believe me he will be in the car on his way to the vet first thing in the morning.

I will keep you informed.
Unread 08-17-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I just returned from taking Loki to the vet. From his physical exam nothing could be found that wasn't normal or would cause him to stop eating. He was dehydrated as could be expected so I left him so they could hydrate him with IV fluids. I requested a complete blood screening to be done as well just to be safe. They will keep him today and call me this afternoon to pick him up.

Thanks everyone for your concern. I’ll let you know if they find anything amiss with his blood tests.
Unread 08-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thanks for the update. I'll be watching for news on Loki. All your cats are very beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Unread 08-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

I went by to get my baby and they wanted to keep him.

I'm upset because I hate the thoughts of him being there. This will be the first time he's been away from us over night.

Say a little prayer for my blue boy that he's his sweet kitten self when I go get him tomorrow.
Unread 08-17-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry that your little Loki is unwell - he is a truly lovely boy (and Bryce is too). But for the time being he is in the best care possible, so try not to worry too much - I will keep him in my thoughts tonight, and hope for some good news tomorrow..
Heidi x

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 08-17-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I am praying for your Loki as well. Did they let you see him at least? I wish you'd known he had to stay, you could have left him something of yours for comfort. Bring a shirt you've slept in tomorrow when you go get him, just in case they want to keep him another night.

So they still have no idea what is wrong with him?

Do they think it is a reaction to the anesthesia? Find out what they used and have it put in his records that that anesthesia, whatever it was, should never ever be used for Loki again.

Prayers and all paws crossed, here.....

Tags
advice , baby , beautiful , blue eyes , boy , canned food , car , care , cat , cats , color , crying , eating , eyes , fish , food , found , happy , hey , home , kitty , lost , lynx point , morning , neuter , neutering , night , over night , pictures , question , rescue , sad , siamese , sick , silly , spayed , suggestions , thoughts , upset , vet , water , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links