It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-29-2009   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

That is very expensive, are there no charities that could help? I'm not critising you at all, I'm just trying to think of ways of reducing your costs and hopefully keep your kitty! I do hope that they will find out what is wrong with you beloved baby this time!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-14-2009   #12 (permalink)
Newborn

Chantal Marina is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the ideas...yes, everything related to vet visits costs so much! At least here in Montreal...

I still have to make the appointment for her, but we've been low on cash so it had to wait a bit. It hasn't gotten worse, thankfully, but it won't be ignored.
Once I find out what it is, I will post the results, in case anyone else's cat is having the same problem...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-29-2009   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Update

So, I finally brought my cat to the vet on Thursday Sept 24/09. They did an ultrasound and found that she has a number of bladder stones.
They injected her with an antibiotic that has to be repeated in 2 weeks and they gave us an anti inflammatory to mix with her food once per day.
The vet also advised us to change her food, which we did, from Iams to Royal Canin Urinary SO Urinary SO - Summary which is specifically designed to dissolve and prevent kidney and bladder stones.
The vet even said that she has a heart murmur, which is likely the result of hyperthyroid! Now, my cat is not as fat as she used to be, but I know what hyperthyroidism in cats looks like and she ain't it! I've heard that this hospital often says that cats have murmurs, which opens the door for more visits, tests etc...The vet also pushed for surgery, but I hope the new food will negate the need for it. It looks like there has been some improvement in her health, in that she occasionally pees larger amounts and with less blood, but it is still too soon to expect miracles.
The newest thing is that she is now peeing everywhere, which she never did before...she pees on the wall to wall carpet, dog bed, our bed, everywhere! I am freaking out. We placed a third litter box closeby and I keep it as clean as the others (I scoop it out 4 times per day minimum). I hope she snaps out of this behavior soon.
Thats the scoop for now. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!!
Unread 09-29-2009   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update!

She may be avoiding the litter boxes because it was hurting her to pee, and she blames the box for this. Poor thing may have been in pain for some time. It must be a relief to you to finally know what is wrong.

I recommend you get a feliway plug in diffuser or two, and some rescue remedy, both can help with stress, (stress can cause the stones to come back) and help her get back to her normal tidy habits.

You might even replace the old boxes....you said you just added a new one? (good idea) Change out the other two, too. It might help.

Very important: don't yell at her if you catch her peeing outside the box. That will only cause her more stress, and she will start being afraid to pee at all. If you see her squat, grab a box and stick it under her, without making a fuss about it. It is very important that she pee...a lot.

Make sure she has fresh water available in every room, to encourage a lot of drinking. Water is very important with her condition, also.

Royal Canin s/o is a very good food for her condition. She must be on it forever now, and no other food or treats, for the food to work properly.

A heart murmur is not a big deal really, unless it gets very bad. Ootay (rb 5/09) had a level 3 heart murmur for years.

Your kitty already takes medicine for hyperthyroid, is that correct?

One more thing. You will have to use a special enzyme cleaner to remove the urine in the places she has peed, or she may continue to go there. Even if you can't smell it, she will be able to, if there is any trace left. A black light will help you see where there are urine spots and a special cleaner to get rid of them

Please keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 09-30-2009   #15 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you for the reply acerlt. I will definitely look into the Feliway & Rescue Remedy.

It is a relief to finally know what my cat’s health issue is! But I find it strange that she only just started to pee inappropriately, after all these months. I guess we brought her to the vet not a moment too soon.

I’m also happy that both cats LOVE the new food and I will keep them on it exclusively from now on.

How often do you replace your cats' litter boxes?
Replacing old litter boxes helped my older cat to stop peeing everywhere too, so I may do the same for my sick cat.

She does have access to drinking water, but not in every room…I was afraid that it would encourage her to pee in every room, but I think I am just being paranoid.
Which enzyme cleaner do you find most effective?
Lastly, she isn’t on any thyroid meds.
Thanks again for the reply...I am keeping positive that all these suggestions will heal my cat and prevent both cats from going through this in the future!

Tags
affectionate , allergies , antibiotic , antibiotics , art , baby , black , bladder , box , carpet , cat , changed , clean , cleaning , constipation , diet , food , found , fur , heart murmur , hey , hyper , infection , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , money , obstruction , opinion , overweight , pee , peeing , poop , problem , problems , question , rescue , royal , small , smell , stress , suggestions , surgery , test , urine , uti , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links