It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Rye and Sealey's Mommy is on a distinguished road
Default Rye's problem

Ok so rye has been peeing on things and he has never done this before in the 6 years that I have had him so I brought a urine sample to the vet and she called me and told me that their was blood and sugar in the urine. I know that sugar in the urine probally mean diabetes, but he had no symptoms of diabetes. I had a cat with it 2 years ago and he does not do the things that Xander was doing, he passed over the rainbow bridge. I dont know if anyone could shed some light on this he has to go back to the vet on monday for a full blood panel. But I'm biting my nails waiting. I looked it up on the web but nothing comes up but diabetes or renal failure. He is only 6 years old and has always been heathly. I don't know what to do anymore this is the third animal that had been sick in 3 weeks I can't take much more of this. He's eats normal, drinks normal, and acts normal so I'm at a loss right now any insight would be great. thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and Welcome though I am sorry to hear about Rye's problems.

Did your vet consider that Rye may have a UTI? or crystals in his urine? These are the most common reasons for inappropriate urination, and can be very dangerous in a male cat. Both are very painful for the cat.

Watch him very carefully until he is seen on Monday, as male cats can block easily and very suddenly, and once they are blocked, they will die within 24 hours without emergency veterinary attention.

If you see him straining at all, spending a lot of time squatting with nothing coming out, or only little dots of pee, call your vet for the on call vet, or go to an vet ER immediately.

In addition to the blood work, I recommend you make sure Rye has a full bladder when you bring him to the vet on Monday and request that your vet take a clean urine sample straight from the bladder, that is the best way. Once urine hits the air it changes, and readings can be messed up.

I am sorry for the loss of your beloved Xander, how old was he?

What kind of food do you feed your cats?

You may already be aware of this but here is an excellent link for feline diabetes:

Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB

please do keep us updated on Rye.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Xander was 7 years old when he passed. Rye eats newmans own organic cat food canned and dry sometimes. He has been ok tonight but I'm calling the vet vet first thing to see it I can get him in tomorrow cause I hate waiting and if it is a infection I want him on mesds as soon as possible. What really concerns me is the sugar and blood at the same time I know that's not good. Rye is only 6 years old. Has anyone ever had a urine test turn up like that before and it not be diabetes?
Unread 08-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Any news on Rye?

Unread 08-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

I will be on my way to the vet in a few minute's. He is acting normal, eating and drinking normal, and going to the bathroom normal. I have a strange feeling I may need a new vet. I'm not saying their is nothing wrong with him but I kinda think that this vet is talking me for a ride cause she know how much I care for my animals. I will explain further when I get back and see hoe this goes thanks for caring so much.
Unread 08-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Rye's Update

So I got back from the vet and even though their was blood in his urine she was going to let me leave with no antiboitcs for rye. I didn't think that was normal. She did a fructosamine level and no CBC like she said she would so I asked for antibotics she gave them to me. After I dropped Rye off I went to look for a new vet and after I get the results of this test I will have all of my pets records tranfered over to the new vet for a second opinion I just don't trust her anymore. I hop getting the antibotics was the right thing to do
Unread 08-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

I don't blame you wanting to change your vet. If it is an infection at least you have a jump on it until you get a real diagnosis. Hopefully you find a really good clinic and can get the help you need. Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 08-25-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Riley does not have diabetes Thank god. Just a infection thanks for all your concern. He is doing much better

Tags
addition , animal , biting , bladder , care , cat , cat food , cats , clean , diabetes , diabetic , dry , eating , food , fur , great , hey , infection , loss , male , nails , opinion , pee , peeing , problem , problems , sick , test , urine , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links