It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Lacey_080790 is on a distinguished road
Default Dry kitten food help!!

So our silly boy whom we finally named Oliver is getting to the age where we need to introduce some dry food.

I work at Petsmart, and we have C.A.T. (Cat Adoption Team) do adoptions in our store every weekend. One of the foster parents brought in 2 kittens last weekend and they had really tiny kibble... like super tiny and it was flat like a disk. I asked the C.A.T lady what brand it was and she said she didn't know.

I was wondering if anyone on here knew of a brand of food like that. It's small enough that I think Olly might actually try to eat it. He doesn't really understand the concept of chewing yet... so hopefully he will learn fast.

This is him right after eating and getting food ALL over himself.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-24-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

OMG what a sweet little messy face. Unfortunetly I don't know what kind of kibble that would be. My 8 week olds are finally eating dry kibble which is Wellness kitten health. They seem to enjoy it too. The first few days I dampened it down and microed for a couple seconds to release the scent of it and now after a week they finally like it dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-25-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome to the forum!

What a cutie, bless his little heart!!

Royal Canin is a very good dry food. They have a special blend for kittens
from 0 to 2 months old. Hope he will like it...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 08-25-2009   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Olly is sooo sweet, aww bless him, give him a little cuddle from me. xxxxx
Unread 08-25-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Dry food isn't good for cats it can lead to serious long term health problems such as Diabetes, cancer, kidney problems and dental disease. Its a myth that dry cleans teeth, a cats jaws and teeth are geared towards the ripping and tearing apart of birds and small mammals. Saying dry food helps teeth is like saying a diet of chips, cereal and croutons will keep your teeth healthy.

Many dry foods have way too many carbs the amount of carbs a cat needs is less then 10%. Most dry has 50 to 70% carbs in the forms of cheap fillers that do not get used by the body in any meaningful way.

Because cats originally evolved in a desert climate where they only needed the water from the pray they eat most cats that are free fed dry also have dehydration problems too.

The best diet is either a raw or a canned one, good canned foods like innova Evo,instincts,Natures logic.

Last edited by PantherPride; 08-25-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Unread 08-25-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I disagree with your view. I do not know the brands you are talking about, but although cats in the wild kill and eat live prey, domestic cats have evolved to a different diet. I have always believed in giving my cats a varied diet of good quality wet and dry food and they have always been perfectly healthy and fit. Just because it's not what cats ate when they had no access to anything else doesn't make it bad.

Again, it's your personal view not the gospel, so don't post it as such

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx

Last edited by supersmithy; 08-25-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Unread 08-25-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey_080790 View Post
So our silly boy whom we finally named Oliver is getting to the age where we need to introduce some dry food.

I work at Petsmart, and we have C.A.T. (Cat Adoption Team) do adoptions in our store every weekend. One of the foster parents brought in 2 kittens last weekend and they had really tiny kibble... like super tiny and it was flat like a disk. I asked the C.A.T lady what brand it was and she said she didn't know.

I was wondering if anyone on here knew of a brand of food like that. It's small enough that I think Olly might actually try to eat it. He doesn't really understand the concept of chewing yet... so hopefully he will learn fast.

This is him right after eating and getting food ALL over himself.
And by the way, Oliver is a little sweetheart, if a messy boy

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 08-25-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Lacey_080790 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Dry food isn't good for cats it can lead to serious long term health problems such as Diabetes, cancer, kidney problems and dental disease. Its a myth that dry cleans teeth, a cats jaws and teeth are geared towards the ripping and tearing apart of birds and small mammals. Saying dry food helps teeth is like saying a diet of chips, cereal and croutons will keep your teeth healthy.

Many dry foods have way too many carbs the amount of carbs a cat needs is less then 10%. Most dry has 50 to 70% carbs in the forms of cheap fillers that do not get used by the body in any meaningful way.

Because cats originally evolved in a desert climate where they only needed the water from the pray they eat most cats that are free fed dry also have dehydration problems too.

The best diet is either a raw or a canned one, good canned foods like innova Evo,instincts,Natures logic.
Actually I know for a fact wet cat food isn't good for them (nor is wet dog food for dogs) it rots their teeth and doesn't keep them working those muscles. The dry food does infact keep the teeth cleaner, it helps scrub off the tartar. I've also been told this by MANY vets as well. Only the babies get wet food wen they first start weaning, my older cats don't get wet food except for their birthday, thanksgiving, and x-mas.
Unread 08-25-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I agree with Heidi about giving cats both dry and wet food. I know of cats that lived to be over 20, eating dry food regularily. I give my cat dry food daily and wet food twice a week. She always drinks a lot of water, so I don't worry too much about it. Just keep fresh water available.

And I agree with Maya that Royal Canine is a good brand. The name of the dry food RC has for young kittens is "Baby cat". I think you can use it up to 4 months of age though. After that you can buy "Kitten 36". This is high quality food. Try to get the high quality food ones, they're richer in nutrition
Unread 08-25-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I agree that a combination of both wet and dry is best.

It's not true though that dry food cleans the teeth, most cats don't even chew it, and even if they do bite into a kibble, it does not clean really "clean" the tooth that bit the kibble, and certainly doens't go below the gum line..

Nor does an all canned diet rot teeth. Dental health in cats is determined mostly by genetics, and can be controlled somewhat with good home dental care.

Whether cats eat dry or wet or both, the best way to take care of your cat's teeth is to brush them at home using an enzymatic veterinary toothpaste called (c.e.t.), get annual check ups and have dental cleanings when recommended by your vet.

Tags
advice , animal , another cat , baby , behavior , birds , birthday , bite , boy , breathing , breeder , breeders , breeding , car , care , care for your cats , cat , cat food , cat needs , cats , changed , children , diabetes , diet , dog , dogs , dry food , eating , environment , eyes , fast , food , foster , found , free , friends , great , happy , health , hey , home , kitten food , love , maine coon , mat , mistake , natural , nutrition , obesity , outdoor , pet , pet food , present , problems , rare , raw , royal , siblings , small , smart , stop , struggle , surgery , toothpaste , type , vet , wet food , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links