It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

rleeq is on a distinguished road
Default What Are We Feeding Our Cats!

This is something I've wondered about since I was a kid. We humans have domesticated a number of animals,. In our particular case we're talking about cats,
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Felidae is the biological family of the cats; a member of this family is called a felid. Felids are the strictest carnivores of the sixteen mammal families in the order Carnivora.
Note that part which is in bold. It says that the cat is the "Strictest" carnivores.

To further my point, take the cow. 3 stomachs an extra long digestive system necessary to digest fibrous matter (cows eat grass.) A Tigers digestive system is much shorter at about 6 to 10 feet long. Apparently is doesn't take much to digest meat. Ours in contrast, (we being omnivorous) is around 36 feet in total.

I'd be willing to bet that our feline friends digestive system isn't more than 18 inches, if that.

My question is simple; why do we feed them dry food at all. Considering that dry food is in great part vegetable matter it seems that we are not doing our feline friends any favors.

Well that's my rant for now

If you know an answer to this question Please share.

R'

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

People do it because its cheap or its "just a cat" because they are lied to by their vet, media or society in gen. A properly done raw diet is the best there is, next to it are foods that are canned such as Innova EVO,Natures logic, wellness, Instincts,et.

Dry food is created for people not pets, note there are dry foods that have no grains and are meat based, but besides being rare even these can cause problems long term with dehydration and dental trouble.

The truth is death by diet probably hurts/slowly kills more cats on a day to day basis then all the shelters,cars,diseases, declaws, mean people combined.

Last edited by PantherPride; 08-29-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-30-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Belindance is on a distinguished road
Default New Kitten Picky Eater

Since adopting a new kitten, well it's been a food challenge. They were feeding him just dry Science Diet at the SPCA. But man was he skinny! You could feel his spine....they give you a free bag to take with you. But I tried and he doesn't like it...hence why he is so skinny. Tried Purina Kitten, didn't like that either.

I agree when you read the ingredient listing on the dry food, or even canned. It has so many carbs in it...when has a cat eaten a soybean, ear of corn, etc. in the wild. Yes they have been domesticated, but I don't think that means feed them a mostly carb diet.

So I have been reading and trying to come up with a good meal for him. I don't do the raw diet, I'm a bit hesitant to. Because in the wild I don't think there is an issue of Samonella from killing and eating wild birds. But in our supermarkets foods often does have it. But let's not argue that.

So I have taken both chicken, and ground turkey cooked(diced)

added about a teaspoon of cooked carrots, celery, zucchini, green beans(chopped and pureed in food processor)

added about a teaspoon of boiled egg (chopped)
added about 1/2 teaspoon of finely ground egg shell( I make myself)
added about 1/2 teaspoon Probiotic Oil (Salmon, and other probiotics)

I felt his bowel movements were to loose, sometimes way too loose, so I just started adding steamed white rice.

I tried crushing up his dry food and adding it to his diet, but he won't touch it. It's funny if I forget one ingredient he won't eat it! He seems to enjoy it, but I want his bowels to be firmer. But maybe that's not possible since he won't eat dry food. I can leave it out all day, and he won't touch it. I have tried to hold out several hours, for him to eat dry, but he will only nibble a few pieces.

Is there anything you think that I could add, to make this meal even better?

Thanks,
Nervous New Mom of Cody
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-31-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello. If your kitten doesn't like dried food there are plenty of good quality 'complete' tinned foods & pouches (with a high meat content) on the market which will ensure he gets all the nutrients he needs. I'm not an expert on cat nutrition but I would suggest that if you wish to prepare his food yourself you do plenty of research to make sure he has a balanced diet. I do know that cats need taurine in their diet (to prevent blindness) which you could provide by adding offal to his food, I've heard hearts are a good source of this. I'm sorry if I'm telling you anything you already know and congratulate you for being prepared to make his own personally designed food! Let us know how you get on & if you find the perfect recipe for Cody!
Unread 08-31-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

I just looked up Taurine, on wikipedia, says it's naturally occuring in meat and seafood. I have chicken, turkey, boiled egg, and salmon oil in the probiotic. So hopefully that is enough Taurine. I will be looking for some kind of vitamin to add, I think. Petsmart doesn't seem to have much of a selection of vitamins. If anyone can suggest one I can find online, would appreciate it.

I checked his stool, looked good today. I think he may also be adjusting to a new diet compared to just receiving dried food for several months. God only knows how this cat survived on dried food, because he sure won't eat it. Even when I leave it out several hours and give him nothing else. Nope....he just walks away from it.

I hope to create a good meal for him eventually, thanks for all your suggestions to come!

He pooped again this time loose, I really don't want to do the canned cat food, with all it's stuff. But if this keeps up may have to. I will try adding crushed dry food again. I feel I had no choice but to give him something else, since he just only nibbles the dried stuff. But sure loves my mixture. I hope his system eventually adjust to the food change. Can't seem to do it gradually.

Last edited by Belindance; 08-31-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Unread 08-31-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Have you checked 1800petmeds.com for vitamins? I know they have a selection for cats there.
Sounds to me like your cat likes what you are feeding him. I would definitely make sure to research other sites (besides Wikipedia, not the greatest source of info) to make sure you are giving him the proper nutrition.
Unread 08-31-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Well maybe someone out there put a powerful kitty prayer for Cody. Cause I tried before crushing up Purina and Science Diet and mixing it in with the other. This time he ate IT!!! Yeah! I put it all in the food processor, and blended it all together. Now he really loves it. About 75% dry, to all other ingredients listed above.

Now I feel better, since I know there are added vitamins in the dried food. So cross your fingers he will keep eating it. Poo looked better today.

I have gotten recipe ideas from here, and I believe it was Halo.com something like that. Looked at all different websites and homemade cat food recipes. Some had potatoes and alfalfa sprouts, etc. that I thought were poisonous for cats. So I go by what the SPCA says is bad, and combine with many recipes out there.

Pet meds never heard of them, but may not need to now if he keeps eating the dried mixed in with the rest. It's tough being an new kitty mommy... worry worry.....

Last edited by Belindance; 09-01-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Unread 08-31-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belindance View Post
I just looked up Taurine, on wikipedia, says it's naturally occuring in meat and seafood. I have chicken, turkey, boiled egg, and salmon oil in the probiotic. So hopefully that is enough Taurine.
I commend you for taking such an interest in your cat's diet.

However "hopefully there's enough taurine" is a very dangerous attitude. Cats' bodies cannot manufacture their own taurine, they must get it through diet. Every day. Lack of taurine causes eye lesions and ulcers, and blindness.

Taurine is found the organ meats, but I'm not sure human food can provide enough. I know you said you are going to look into adding some supplements to make sure your cat is getting the proper balance of nutrients, vitamins, amino acids and minerals. Please do it right away, every day matters.

And of course don't forget to come back and share what you've learned with us!

Unread 09-01-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Okay went on Petmeds, didn't see a lot of selections for vitamins. So I went on Amazon, there is CatAlive, Thorne, Nu-cat, Pet Tabs several out there. Cat Alive looks like it has some great homeopathic blends, for very specific health problems. Thorne Immugen, looks like an amazing product, major immune building herbs, and vitamins, it's similiar to stuff I haven taken in the past. My blog GREEN 4 HEALTH I talk about my own health issues.

So I went with Nu-cat multi-vitamin/mineral supplement, reasonable price $10.14 for 240 tablets. I will crush uhm up I believe or put in some new and improved homemade food. They have all the major vitamins and minerals, and enzymes which are helpful.

Also bought some AFA Klamath Blue Green Algae, I use to take this, and is recommended for horses, dogs, cats, and people too. I have fibromyalgia, so I don't take nutrition or supplements lightly. I do my reading and research, more than the average person. Well, I won't go into defending myself here.

If I see good improvements, he has ear mites, putting in drops for that. Sneezing stopped, happy to see him getting better. But would like to see more energy, but I know he is recovery from all the shots and being fixed, heck I would need some extra snoozing too.

If after taking the vitamins, and the AFA, I still see he's not more playful, I might go with Immugen. There is some good reviews talking about people with kittens, who have seen great improvement in weight and energy levels. So we will see how Cody does.
Unread 09-02-2009   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Feeding the cat foods like Innova EVO,Instincts,wellness core,natures logic, will make it unnescary.

A raw diet is even better.

Feeding garbage brands and covering it up with vitamens is like taking a multi vitamen for yourself then eating out of a dumpster or ordering at burger king. I'm sorry but it isn't going to work out long term.

Tags
amazing , birds , blog , bowel , car , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , diet , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , egg , eye , family , fixed , food , found , friends , fur , great , happy , health , hey , homeopathic , kitten , kittens , kitty , mat , mites , new kitten , nutrition , person , petsmart , problems , question , rare , raw , shelters , smart , suggestions , turkey , vet , weight , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links