It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mira1 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy my cat has a hernia! what do i do???

hi there.

my cat, Machka, fell of my apartment balcony two stories high. i immediately rushed her to the vet. she had a cracked palete which they fixed. they took x-rays and saw she had a diaphragmatic hernia as a result of the fall but it is not to dangerous at the moment and the vet recomended she has the operation to fix it within the next two months.

i would like to know how cats can live with it and what i should be concerned about. the vets told me about the basic things and what i should look out for if it gets worse. i read the symptoms and things on the internet but i would like to know how other people whose cats have the same problem handle it as it completely breaks my heart.

please tell me what i can do, the worst i can expect what can i do for her etc. please help...

also i am suppose to take a two hour flight to visit my parents in two weeks and i always take my cats as they love it there. what should i do about Machka? can i take her with?

thanx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-30-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome. I am sorry to hear about your Machka's accident. Good for you for getting her to the vet so quickly.

I hope you will find a way to keep the balcony safe for her now (they sell screening and things like that) or keep her inside away from it.

Your vet is the best place to find out if she can travel in two weeks. Probably not if she has the surgery first, as she will need time to recover. Is she in any pain?

If this were my situation, I would postpone the travel plans and have the surgery done now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-30-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

mira1 is on a distinguished road

its difficult cauz i cant post pone my trip aswell as the vet says she only wants to do the surgery in a month earliest so she can heal from this operation first. i dont want to take her if it will threaten her health but ive never had a cat with a hernia so i dont know what to expect???
Unread 08-30-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Ask your vet if it is safe for your cat to travel, and by safe I mean, if it will not cause her pain and stress.

I myself would NOT travel with a cat in the condition you describe. I know that air travel can be very turbulent and I do not like to think of a cat with a painful hernia, plus the other not yet healed injuries, being tossed around in a carrier. The potential for more injury, and excessive pain and stress and trauma is just too great.

I arrange my life around my cats needs, not the other way around, but I know not everyone is like me.

If you will not postpone your travel plans, my advice is to please leave her home. Find a pet sitter, preferably one who specializes in special needs, (check references) to care for Machka while you are away. It is the best way to keep her safe and prevent further injury and pain and stress

Last edited by acerlt; 08-30-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Tags
advice , apartment , care , cat , cats , fixed , fur , great , health , hey , home , internet , love , pet , problem , stories , stress , surgery , travel , vet

Sponsored Cat Links