It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

catloveman is on a distinguished road
Default What Makes Pine Cat Litter So Good

What Makes Pine Cat Litter So Good

Pine cat litter is a very good choice among other kinds of cat litter. First of all, it is organic - a gift of Mother Nature. It comes from recycled materials and it is in itself recyclable. Pine cat litter comes from biodegradable pine sawdust, it can easily be flushed down your toilet in small amounts. It can also be mixed into your garden soil to be used as compost fertilizer, saving you the need to buy synthetic or commercial plant food.

Pine cat litter also does not contain silica dust, unlike other types of cat litter like clay. Silica dust can be hazardous to health, and it would not be advisable to have them in products like cat litter. The dust particles can go airborne and be inhaled not only by your cat but other members of the family as well and this can cause a lot of problems in the lungs. When inhaled, silica dust can induce bronchitis or even lung cancer. It is not worth the risk to get these diseases just for a cheaper brand of cat litter. Pine cat litter would probably be a better choice for you and your cat in terms of health concerns.

More detail on this topic that you should know go to Cat litter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

nastursim is on a distinguished road

If you use the kitty litter as mulch, is this not putting the diseases you can catch from cat poo into your garden?? I am just wondering about the safety side of this if you have young children who may dig in the garden???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastursim View Post
If you use the kitty litter as mulch, is this not putting the diseases you can catch from cat poo into your garden?? I am just wondering about the safety side of this if you have young children who may dig in the garden???

I had been thinking the same thing when I read that post. I know that it is not good to put dog poo in the compost pile. If the poster meant the used kitty litter, it could also burn plants in the garden if used as a mulch. Manure used in a garden must be properly aged. If they meant fresh pine litter, well there's much cheaper mulch available.
Unread 09-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

yeah, don't use used cat litter of any kind in the garden or compost pile. Cat pee will kill anything! Compost, fertilizer and mulch should be made up of vegetable matter and plant waste. Cats are carnivores so their poop is not appropriate for compost or fertilizer.

I'm still using old fashioned clay litter. Yes it is dusty, but...I probably will always use it.
Unread 09-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I simply cannot see using saw dust as litter. Personally knowing that saw dust clings to just about anything, I can just see the mess my cats would make, tracking it all over my house! No thanks!
Using cat poo as fertilizer...eww! You should think again about that, with all the diseases and such. I've looked up many of the cat litters available, especially the one I use (Tidy Cats) and saw no silica dust listed in the ingredients. The original post sounds like a promotion post from the company....
Unread 09-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I simply cannot see using saw dust as litter. Personally knowing that saw dust clings to just about anything, I can just see the mess my cats would make, tracking it all over my house! No thanks!
Ha ha! I had hamsters as pets when I was little & the sawdust was messy then, can just imagine the mess if I let my two feline horrors loose on two trays of the stuff!
Unread 09-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Snickersonlyhelp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloveman View Post
What Makes Pine Cat Litter So Good

Pine cat litter is a very good choice among other kinds of cat litter. First of all, it is organic - a gift of Mother Nature. It comes from recycled materials and it is in itself recyclable. Pine cat litter comes from biodegradable pine sawdust, it can easily be flushed down your toilet in small amounts. It can also be mixed into your garden soil to be used as compost fertilizer, saving you the need to buy synthetic or commercial plant food.

Pine cat litter also does not contain silica dust, unlike other types of cat litter like clay. Silica dust can be hazardous to health, and it would not be advisable to have them in products like cat litter. The dust particles can go airborne and be inhaled not only by your cat but other members of the family as well and this can cause a lot of problems in the lungs. When inhaled, silica dust can induce bronchitis or even lung cancer. It is not worth the risk to get these diseases just for a cheaper brand of cat litter. Pine cat litter would probably be a better choice for you and your cat in terms of health concerns.

More detail on this topic that you should know go to Cat litter
I use the Pine littler and I and my cats love it!
Unread 09-10-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

lareinerouge is on a distinguished road

I use Feline Pine and I love it! (I do not, however stick it in my garden when I am done with it) As long as you keep a mat down around the box you shouldn't have any trouble with tracking and I feel better about using it environmentally. I love the smell of it when I put fresh chips in too! I cannot figure out why I need to pay that much for a box of woodchips though...

"If we treated everyone we meet with the same affection we bestow upon our favorite cat, they, too, would purr."
Martin Delany
Unread 03-23-2010   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Inspired
HoltWebb is on a distinguished road
Default pine litter rocks!

I've been using pine cat litter (either Feline Pine or the Publix generic brand) in my cats' litterbox for over a year now. I have two cats and the litter box sits in the hallway of my motorhome -- a very tight space indeed!

Visitors have come and gone and always ask where I keep the litter box. They never smell it, though it is right out in the open! It's an amazing product, it's from a sustainable source, there is little or no controversy (like there are with many corn-related products these days), and it's biodegradable -- even going so far as being a decent addition to garden mulch! (Don't use it exclusively as mulch, but it can be mixed in if composted correctly. Composting it with other organic materials helps break down and dilute the ingredients that would otherwise be harmful to plants in higher concentrations.)

I travel the US in my motorhome, being as eco-friendly as I can (running on used veggie oil, using solar panels, recycling, etc.), and this pine litter really fits the bill. I've tried traditional clay litters, newspaper litters, and corn husk litters, but for me the pine litter blows them all away.

It might not be for everyone, but I like it.
Unread 03-24-2010   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=catloveman;99001]What Makes Pine Cat Litter So Good

It can also be mixed into your garden soil to be used as compost fertilizer, saving you the need to buy synthetic or commercial plant food.

I like the idea of something that is from recycled materials and could be flushed down the toilet but you should never use feces and urine from animals to fertilize gardens especially if it is a garden used for vegetables. If you were to fertilize a regular garden wouldn't this attract animal's especially other cat's and racoon's?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!

Tags
addition , amazing , box , car , cat , cat's , cats , children , commercial , dog , eco , family , food , friendly , gift , health , hey , horrors , house , kitty , litter , litter box , litterbox , love , mat , mess , pee , poo , poop , problems , small , smell , traditional , travel , urine

Sponsored Cat Links