It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

tankgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Kitten has surface wound on his head.

My 8 month old kitten has a small scrape-like wound(about 1/4 of an inch at the most) ontop of his head next to his ear. Another cat in the house went after him a couple days ago, and he has a pretty decent sized chunk of hair taken out around it too, but the wound is not deep, just on the surface of his skin.
I am not sure how it happened exactly(If he bumped it, or playing with other cats), but the wound seems to have opened up, and is still moist-looking a even after a couple hours. No blood really, but some clear-ish fluid on it.
He is acting fine otherwise.
I will take him to the vet if I have to, but is there anything I can do to take care of this at home? Anthing safe to clean it with or put on it? How do I know if he needs to see a vet for this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi! What's your kitten's name? Is he acting fine? I wouldn't think this was an urgent situation.

My advice is to keep an eye on it, and make sure it is healing without any swelling. If it closes up and forms a bump, bring him to the vet, it has abscessed. If it starts to discharge mucus or pus, bring him to the vet, it has gotten infected.

If there is no improvement or it gets worse in a few days, bring him to the vet.

If none of those happen, it should be fine in a few days.

Keep everyone's nails trimmed to help prevent these type of injuries during play.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Hello.

Hi, you replied to my other thread about introducing the kitten, too. Thankyou! His name is Frankie.

Yes, he is acting fine. I saw him scratching at it though, so I think thats how it got opened up. I discourage him from doing that, but I'm sure he just goes behind the couch and does it so I cant see him, too.

I have been keeping all of their claws trimmed, but I'll keep a closer eye on it that and check more frequently than once a week. Maybe I am not trimming them short enough? I dont *think* it's a bite wound, but I am not 100% sure.
Unread 09-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome. If you are sure it is not swelling or draining pus, put a little neosporin with pain relief on it. the "pain relief" will remove sensation from the wound so Frankie will leave it alone better. If it's itching him, usually means healing!
Unread 09-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Default So...

I put some of that on it yesterday morning, and it looks way better today! Just a scab now, and doesnt look 'moist'. I do not see any swelling or pus at all. Hopefully it keeps healing fine.

I feel like an overbearing mother.
Unread 09-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl View Post
I put some of that on it yesterday morning, and it looks way better today! Just a scab now, and doesnt look 'moist'. I do not see any swelling or pus at all. Hopefully it keeps healing fine.

I feel like an overbearing mother.
Sounds good. You're not overbearing, you are a conscientious cat mama. It's not a bad thing to worry and care about your pets. It's a good thing!

Tags
advice , another cat , bite , care , cat , cats , claws , clean , eye , home , house , kitten , morning , nails , play , playing , scab , scratching , small , type , urgent , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links