It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-16-2009   #11 (permalink)
Newborn

CoolKittyCat is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the kind comments about my cat. His name is Casey. He was a stray my father found around 5 years ago. He was either lost or abandon since he had a collar (that was very tight). So I do not know how long he was in the wild. I guess that is how he developed his eating habits of finishing all food in front of him, like a wild cat would do.

He started hanging around my father's house. He was and is a very friendly cat. Likes to be held and petted. So eventually my father took him in. He had him fixed and cleaned up. Well my Dad already has 3 cats. Ends up Casey does not get along with other cats (loves dogs though), so that is how I ended up with him.

Well when I got him, I would just fill his food bowl and leave at that. Just like my Dad does, but his cats just nibble on the food when they are hungry. Mine is like a vacuum cleaner! So that is why he ballooned up to 25 lbs before I knew it!

So working with the vet I cut back his food intake (which he did not like) and put him on the Hills Prescription Diet M/D.

And he did take the weight off. He was down to 14.5 lbs at one point. So now we brought him up to 15 lbs and he gets a 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night.

But I can say this about him, he is the most affectionate I've ever encountered! Always wants to sit on my lap and has to be in what ever room I am in. A big mush ball!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-17-2009   #12 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

That's a lovely story how you became owned by Casey.

He is a little stunner, give a big fluffy hug from me. xxxxx
Unread 09-17-2009   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolKittyCat View Post

But I can say this about him, he is the most affectionate I've ever encountered! Always wants to sit on my lap and has to be in what ever room I am in. A big mush ball!
Welcome to you & Casey. It sounds as if he loves you very much. I'm happy you rescued him and gave him such a caring home.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-24-2010   #14 (permalink)
TEN
Newborn

TEN is on a distinguished road

I wish I saw this about 3 weeks ago. My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes again after being in remission for about 2 years. He was on the dry version m/d but after learning wet food is better I purchased a case of wet food m/d. I don't remember how soon the vomiting and diarrhea started but it has been going for about 3 weeks. The vet could not tell me what was going on...whether it had to do with his insulin and diabetes or was this something else. We tried Pepcid AC and then Maalox. Well I decided to take matters into my own hands. After researching so much about feline diabetes I read that certain varieties of Fancy Feast was ok. My kitty has been on Fancy Feast for a few days now and before he vomitted daily and now nothing. His stool is also begginning to look normal. I am SO HAPPY! His m/d cans did smell horrible and I returned one case thinking it was that but the new case didn't smell any better. What also threw me off was that he did eat it but started to just nibble at it. It is disgusting that this even happened. I am diasappointed in our vet as well since this never popped up in conversation that his food could of been bad or possibly a food intolerance. I know I will never go back to that prescription garbage. It's unfortunate the vets push that and say it's the best because of their commission. I hope my love is on his way to a few more happy years!
The Following User Says Thank You to TEN For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-24-2010   #15 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN View Post
I wish I saw this about 3 weeks ago. My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes again after being in remission for about 2 years. He was on the dry version m/d but after learning wet food is better I purchased a case of wet food m/d. I don't remember how soon the vomiting and diarrhea started but it has been going for about 3 weeks. The vet could not tell me what was going on...whether it had to do with his insulin and diabetes or was this something else. We tried Pepcid AC and then Maalox. Well I decided to take matters into my own hands. After researching so much about feline diabetes I read that certain varieties of Fancy Feast was ok. My kitty has been on Fancy Feast for a few days now and before he vomitted daily and now nothing. His stool is also begginning to look normal. I am SO HAPPY! His m/d cans did smell horrible and I returned one case thinking it was that but the new case didn't smell any better. What also threw me off was that he did eat it but started to just nibble at it. It is disgusting that this even happened. I am diasappointed in our vet as well since this never popped up in conversation that his food could of been bad or possibly a food intolerance. I know I will never go back to that prescription garbage. It's unfortunate the vets push that and say it's the best because of their commission. I hope my love is on his way to a few more happy years!
I am glad your kitty is feeling better! As I mentioned, I have totally lost faith in any product Hills puts out. To have it happen to me twice, once with dry and once with wet food. And you pay a premium for the prescription food!

Well my cat is still on prescription food, but he get the Royal Canin calorie control dry. I've had zero issues with this food and he likes it allot.

Some poor Hills sales rep at a Petsmart tried to sell me on Hills foods. Boy did I let this poor fellow have it!

Just by habit now, when I open a new bag of food I always sniff it to see if it smells funny!
Unread 08-25-2010   #16 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

I am sooo glad to see that you helped your kitty lose weight! He looks amazing! It makes me very angry that people let their pets gain weight because it's "adorable". I work in a grooming salon and probably 70 percent of the dogs are overweight. Maybe even more. I'm not very good at estimating lol

Oh and that was a beautiful letter you wrote at the beginning of this thread! I also regarded the hills prescription food with uncertainty just because it seemed unnatural. Well now I have a real reason to dislike that company. Ugh..

Last edited by Val_Kitten; 08-25-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Unread 08-26-2010   #17 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

May 31 2014 update: I took my cat off this horrible food 2 1/2 years ago. Her digestion has been completely destroyed by this so called "food". I would not recommend anyone feed it to their cats, ever.

Last edited by acerlt; 10-03-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Unread 08-27-2010   #18 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I'm glad both cats in this thread are doing well.

Something to keep in mind is that not every food suits every cat.

I will reiterate that my Mazy cat, who has FLUTD, is thriving on the Hills Prescription c/d multicare kibble. I have tried other foods for her, and the crystals always come back. This is the only food that works for her.

I would love for her to be on a canned diet, as she is a poor drinker, but she won't eat the canned c/d.

I know of other cats who have also been on Hills Prescription diets for various illnesses who are doing well also. I have had nothing but good courteous responses when I have had reason to deal with their customer service.

The reason there are so many choices is because each case is different.

Hurray for you to both posters for persevering and doing the leg work and research to find something that works for your cats.
While I agree with you, not every food is for every cat, that is not my beef with Hills. I also used Hills for a number of years. My issue is with their quality control.....or lack of. Once with M/D dry and once with M/D wet....I got a bad batch of food. Bad to the point it made my cat sick and stop eating.

The first time with the dry food, you can actually smell something was not right. Even the vet said there was something wrong with the food. Then after I switched him over to wet, I got some bad M/D wet. Not just one can, the whole case....all of which had the same production code. I only discovered this after he got sick again and stopped eating. And this happened over the stretch of only one year.

Sorry, but having bad food leave the factory is unacceptable in my book. So you can see why they left a bad taste in my mouth....I mean my cat's mouth!

So far with the Royal Canin I've had zero issues.
Unread 08-29-2010   #19 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
I'm glad they refunded you (finally!).

Your cat is beautiful, love the before and after pics! From fatty to slim & sleek! What's his name?
How beautiful your kitty is. I'm glad you persevered with the Hills Prescription cat food. They need to know they are making kitties sick!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 05-30-2014   #20 (permalink)
Newborn

lindajoy is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Are you still using the CD food for your cat? I started on the CD due to crystals about 2 weeks ago and all seems okay so far. I have 3 cats and may put them all on it as the Vet said it is okay and will be easier to manage.

Tags
adult , affectionate , age , beautiful , boy , care , cat , cats , clean , collar , cut , diarrhea , diet , dog , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , food , free , friendly , happy , hey , home , kitties , kitty , lost , love , mat , nutrition , overweight , pet , poop , problem , raw , royal , sick , smart , smell , stop , story , urine , vet , vomit , vomiting , weight , weird , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links