It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-17-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

sweettems is on a distinguished road
Question Help with new kitten

Hi, I just got a 5 month old male kitten about 10 days ago. Things had been going really well until recently, and I'm wondering if it's his food??

I didn't notice before, so I don't know if it's a new thing, but he doesn't seem to be sitting down to defectate. He just stands in the little box. It's good that he's in there, but, and I assume it's because he doesn't sit, his behind doesn't exactly stay clean. He got so smelly two days ago that my husband kept complaining, so I washed him, but now he already stinks again and so does our house. I shouldn't have to bath a cat all the time! And of course he doesn't like it. I've wiped him a few times, but I can't be around and keep track of every time he goes, and he goes a lot now. Is it his food? Or something to do with his being fixed a week before we got him? I didn't even know they could even fix a cat that young.

While I was taking care of Shadow after we brought him home, my husband went to the store for cat food. He got really cheap stuff, but soon after I researched cat food and found a bit better. I'd like to get him Natural Balance, but my husband freaked about the price, so we got Friskies. At least it's better than the first, and Shadow really seems to like it - a little too much? He's eating a ton now, and that atribtues to his behind problem!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-17-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

Hi Sweettems,

How did the elimination look? Did it look normal? Bad smell from the rear can be an indication of digestive problems. Does his belly seem to be bloated? If so, your cat may have worms. Have you had your kitten de-wormed? If not, it is time.

Friskies is famous for its carbohydrate fillers. One of the reasons that your cat is eating so much is because there are not enough essential nutrients in the food, so your cat is eating a lot trying to get the nutrients he so desires, but what he is getting is loads of carbohydrates. Cats are obligatory carnivores that should be fed on meat based, high protein food. Friskies is cheap, but the quality is not good. Cats that eat too much carbohydrates for years can develop diabetes and become obese.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~|
|~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-17-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

sweettems is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply! Everything looks normal to me, but I haven't had an inside cat before; the ones we had while I grew up prefered the great outdoors. I don't think he's bloated as I can feel his ribs pretty well when I pet his stomach, but again, I'm not sure what to look for. I got him from the Humane Society here, so I don't know if they de-wormed him or what. Do kittens need that? I don't remember the family kittens needing that, or ever having it done.

I've been trying to convince my husband to let me buy better food. I'm out of work right now (hate this economy!), so the food cost is basically being paid by him, so I can't really complain. I've done tons of research on the Internet and read the lables of so many cans, but most of the stuff that I hear is good doesn't seem to be sold around here. And the stuff that is is pretty pricey. Do you know of any good cat food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? If I had my own money I'd be ordering the best of the best, but I just don't have that option right now, and I don't want poor Shadow to suffer for it.
Unread 09-17-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! Yes, your kitten needs a vet visit first thing. Almost all kittens have worms, and that is probably part of his problem.

Also any change in diet can cause problems.

Take him to the vet, and get him on a good quality kitten food. He needs to be on kitten food until he is 8 pounds, or one year old, whichever comes first .

Tell your husband that better food will pay for itself in the long run because:

Better food means less health problems, which means fewer vet visits.

Better food means he will eat less, so you will buy less.

Better food means less pooping, so you will go through less litter.

Please do keep us updated on Shadow!

Last edited by acerlt; 09-17-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Unread 09-18-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

hello just wanted to say that my kitten was having the same problems when i first got her home, because i wasnt prepared i had bought cat food from the local shop. This was adult cat food and the next few days she had diahorrea, i phoned the woman i got her from and she had been giving her the special kitten food. so when i put her on the kitten food she was back to normal, so i think its probably just the change of diet..i only buy kitten food and kitten dry food now...hope your kitten is okay, jan
Unread 09-18-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Smile Help with new kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetstems View Post
Thanks for the reply! Everything looks normal to me, but I haven't had an inside cat before; the ones we had while I grew up prefer the great outdoors. I don't think he's bloated as I can feel his ribs pretty well when I pet his stomach, but again, I'm not sure what to look for. I got him from the Humane Society here, so I don't know if they dewormed him or what. Do kittens need that? I don't remember the family kittens needing that, or ever having it done.

I've been trying to convince my husband to let me buy better food. I'm out of work right now (hate this economy!), so the food cost is basically being paid by him, so I can't really complain. I've done tons of research on the Internet and read the lables many cans, but most of the stuff that I hear is good doesn't seem to be sold around here. And the stuff that is is pretty pricey. Do you know of any good cat food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? If I had my own money I'd be ordering the best of the best, but I just don't have that option right now, and I don't want poor Shadow to suffer for it.

Hello sweettems I'm sad to hear that your sweet fur baby is not feeling good poor sweet kitty.

Tell me about the sad sick economy I run an out of pocket cat and kitten rescue i know how hard it is you have to make one dollar do a ten dollar job yes my friend the economy sucks.

First lets start off checking for worms first clean the cat box out real good.
2. wait for your fur baby to use the box now check the poo before he/she covers it up. If you see little WHITE FLAT THINKS ABOUT AS BIG AS A GRAIN OF RICE your fur baby has worms also check he/she but hold for same.
If you see them go to a store like petco or a farm&feed store an pick a bottle of D-Worm by farnam this wormer works great better than the junk you find in the wal-mart or food store and it is cheap it cost me $9.00 comepaired to the $14.00 to $20.00 for orther junk.

Now lets talk about Cat food : Cat food from the food store and pet store SINKS and i don't care what the prices and the name it all SINKS the only good cat food will set you back about $30.00 dollars a 3lb bag I don't have that kind money so I feed all my cats and kittens purina cat chow indooor forrmula and for the kittens i add some kitten replacement powered milk with a little water to the dry food.

Cats are like humans thay like MEAT so i get some beef an chicken liver it's cheap an for a treat i get some bumble bee pink salmon. i cook the liver a little then i put it in the blender with one raw and one boilded egg blend it so it looks like can cat food mix it to the dry food with a little olive oil and all may cats poo stop sinking real bad and it make there fur look real good to.

I hope this helps and PLEASE keep me updated on your little fur baby.

Take care my friend

HappyHippie

I love all cats an kittens the ugly ones too.

Tags
art , baby , belly , bloated , box , care , cat , cat food , cats , clean , defecate , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eco , egg , family , food , fur , great , health , hey , home , internet , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , litter , love , male , money , new kitten , pet , problem , problems , raw , rescue , sad , sick , smell , stop , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links