It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

dawn2cats is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dawn2cats
Question Cat Colds

I am looking for information on how people take care of their cats when they have head colds. I have a kitten - she is almost a year old now -- who has gotten a head cold which won't go away despite vet care and antibiotics. I have tried using a cool mist humidifier in the bedroom at night, I use the Little Noses Saline drops, I give her a lysine pill in her wet food every morning (and have since I got her as a preventative measure -- advice from another "foster" mom at the shelter). The vet told me to even give her a drop of Afrin once a day in her nostril (alternate nostrils) to help with the congestion - she HATES that!

When I was searching online I found this forum and joined it and found a posting from someone who said they give their cat 1/4 of a Vitamin C tablet for a few days and it usually does the trick. I am curious if anyone else has had that experience?

Any suggestions would be welcome -- I am losing sleep as Audrey sleeps with me at night (usually on my pillow) and her "snoring" is keeping me up! LOL!

Please respond on the forum or you can email or IM me.

Thanks,
Dawn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I thought my cat had a cold a few months back (turns out she didn't), I read that you needed to keep her warm. You can use a warm water bottle and tuck it in with a blanket. When she sleeps make sure she's nearby it.

A cool mistifier, doesn't that make the room cold? Make sure she's warm

I also read somewhere (while I was sick) that vitamin C doesn't make colds go away when you have them. They just prevent them, so if you already have it, there's nothing you can do
Unread 10-02-2009   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Post Cat with a cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn2cats View Post
I am looking for information on how people take care of their cats when they have head colds. I have a kitten - she is almost a year old now -- who has gotten a head cold which won't go away despite vet care and antibiotics. I have tried using a cool mist humidifier in the bedroom at night, I use the Little Noses Saline drops, I give her a lysine pill in her wet food every morning (and have since I got her as a preventative measure -- advice from another "foster" mom at the shelter). The vet told me to even give her a drop of Afrin once a day in her nostril (alternate nostrils) to help with the congestion - she HATES that!

When I was searching online I found this forum and joined it and found a posting from someone who said they give their cat 1/4 of a Vitamin C tablet for a few days and it usually does the trick. I am curious if anyone else has had that experience?

Any suggestions would be welcome -- I am losing sleep as Audrey sleeps with me at night (usually on my pillow) and her "snoring" is keeping me up! LOL!

Please respond on the forum or you can email or IM me.

Thanks,
Dawn

Hi dawn2cats sorry to hear that your kitty has a head colds I have a small rescue and get stray cats with head colds i do the same thing for my kittys that i do for myshelf run the shower to make hot steam in the bathroom put the kitty in the bathroom for 15 min do this for about a week and it will clear up the head cold also put a little and i mean a little vice vapor rub on his/her nose. I hope this helps.

Take care my friend

HappyHippie =^..^=

I love all cats and kittens the strays an the ugly one's too
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

GillianO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GillianO

I have had that experience, it just went away after a few days for me!
Unread 10-04-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

DaisyMom is on a distinguished road

If you cat's nostrils are stuffy, you can put mild saline nose drops in the nostrils; use the kind made for infants. It will reduce the swelling and make breathing easier.

edit: Oopsie! I see you are already using Little Noses!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DaisyMom; 10-04-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Tags
advice , antibiotics , breathing , care , cat , cat's , cats , cold , color , cool , food , foster , found , hey , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , morning , night , nose , pill , rescue , shelter , sick , sleep , small , stray , strays , suggestions , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links