It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

angelhrvatica is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Potential rabies? Should I be worried? HELP!

I've been helping these stray cats for months. One of the kittens got trapped in a garage and when my neighbor finally got him out there was a rather angry possum in there too.

A few weeks ago all four cats (two adults and two kittens) disappeared. Three days ago she showed up, and her back legs were paralyzed.. but she didn't have any obvious INJURIES. She was also pregnant. I thought maybe she had been clipped by a car and had a sprain to her hip or something and drover around with her in my lap.. I even put my hand up to her mouth to offer her a piece of food!

I had to drop her off at my place because I couldn't find any open vets and she died. Now I'm worried that the possum might have bitten the kitten who might have bitten the cats and now she might have died from rabies and I put my hand in her mouth!!! She wasn't drooling or crazy but she was being very calm and her back legs were partially paralyzed and her mouth was slightly open.

I'm freaking out that I might get rabies and I have a call in my vet and I'm not really sure what else to do or if I even need to be worried PLEASE HELP.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

You weren't bitten, right?

Unless you had an open wound on the hand that made contact with the cat's saliva, I don't think you are in danger. Rabies transmission requires blood contact. How long ago was this?

Do you still have the body of the kitten? It should be brought in for analysis, if so.

Thank you for caring about those feral cats. It's sad that they all probably died. The proper authorities should be notified that you suspect rabies in your area. Rabies is a very serious problem, I know you know that, just mentioning for general purposes.

I am assuming any pets of your own are up to date on vaccinations?

Welcome, and please keep us updated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

angelhrvatica is on a distinguished road

My cats are up to date except two of my KITTENS who are her kittens and haven't been vaccinated yet because they haven't reached 2 lbs.. they already have an appointment to be vaccinated on Friday.

She didnt bite me but I tried to put a piece of food to her mouth to see if she would take it. I had a small scratch on my hand but it was about 4 days old and almost healed, just barely there at all, certainly not deep enough for any blood contact.
Owned by Kainoni, Nurse, Aden, Leah and Tatijana

Tags
angry , bite , calm , car , cat , cat's , cats , crazy , feral , food , hey , kitten , kittens , pregnant , problem , rabies , sad , scratch , small , stray

Sponsored Cat Links