It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mary loriene is on a distinguished road
Default kitten turning gray

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. First of all I have an appointment with my vet to have my kitten checked out Wednesday, I wanted another vet to see her and check her out, but I would like to know what I am facing when I talk to the vet. My 5 month old solid black kitten is turning gray. She had coccidia back a couple of months ago and almost didn't make it. Had her on several medications and forced fed for over a week. With many prayers, she rebounded and survived. I called the vet last Friday and told the vet tech to ask the vet if the medications she was on caused her hair (or fur) to start turning gray or if she is lacking a vitamin or something. She asked him and he said it shouldn't have done it, to watch her for her hair coming out. I'm not satisfied with that answer and her hair is turning grayer each day. Has anyone ever heard of this happening to a kitten?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-05-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi there and welcome to the forum I'm glad your kitten is recovering, what is her name?

She is still very young and it could be that black is just not going to be her final colour - perhaps she is going to be a black/smoke cat? Kittens when young have very fluffy "kitten fur" which grows out as they get older.

On a similar topic - my Maine Coon Sasha is a silver tabby and she was going slightly brown in places. I think it's because she goes outside. I put her in a cattery for two weeks when we went away and when we got back all the brown had disappeared! It was very strange.

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Default kitten turning gray

Gracie is her name. She has 5 siblings and all are coal black including mom and dad. Her mom and dad are rescued cats and they are all black. The little ones are difficult to tell apart until Gracie started to turn gray. It started with her whiskers and now her tail is almost like a skunk and it is turning on her body now. I hope it is nothing serious. thanks for responding.
Unread 10-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh, well it is strange if Gracie is the only one? Although I'm sure it's nothing to worry about letting the vet check her over will give you peace of mind.

If she's fine then just enjoy the fact that she is your most unusual kitty!

Unread 10-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Default kitten turning ray

Went to vet yesterday with my graying kitten. She had never seen it before and researched on her vet connections and produced an answer (i hope). She gave me the name of her condition, I will post it later, I'm at work and left the paper at home that she printed out for me. She showed me another cat that was originally black and her hair turned to gray like Gracie. It was caused by a metabolic stress. (most likely when she almost died with the complications of coccidia a couple of months ago). There is a possibility it may start to change back later to the original color black. Isn't that wild?
Unread 10-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

That is strange - nothing I've ever heard of before. Maybe it's like they say when something shocks a human their hair can turn white?

I'm glad Gracie's ok anyway

Tags
another cat , art , black , black kitten , brown , cat , cats , color , fur , hey , home , joy , kitten , kittens , kitty , maine coon , prayers , siblings , stress , tabby , vet , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links