It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Tabitha is on a distinguished road
Default Dry Cat Food Choices- Newbie Asking

Hello all! What do you feed your kitties? We switch off, right now we're feeding them Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul. I think we've tried all the different brands by now! I like the nutritional value of chicken soup and the price is good, too! Has anyone else tried it? Thoughts?

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-27-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

Hi Tabitha,

I have never bought Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, but I just checked the labels. The ingredients from the canned cat food look good.

It is probably better to have canned food as main meals and dry as snacks for your cat(s). Dry food contains a lot of carbs that aren't necessary for cats. I have done extensive research on dry food, even talked to many cat nutritionists.

Here is a link to some of the top dry and wet food choices.. but yea some of them are quite pricey, but you can find a few that are affordable.

Top Dry and Wet Cat Food Choices | Love Meow - for Ultimate Cat Lovers

What other brands have you tried? How old are your kitties?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~|
|~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Tabitha is on a distinguished road

Hi Lovemeow- thanks for your response

My kitties actually didn't take to the Chicken Soup can food- but they looooved the dry food. We've been doing the opposite of what you recommended. We give them dry food as their main meal and wet/can food to compliment it about twice a day. But to be honest, I think they eat all the canned food and just have the dry food as a snack!

We've given them whiskas and meow mix in the past--- right now we alternate because they like different flavors from each brand. What we love about the brands we've tried (chicken soup, whiskas, meow mix) is that they're all affordable and good for our cats.

I have 3 cats (they're family cats that stay with my parents). Tabitha is 17, and Buddy and Leo are 4. I was going to take Tabitha with me to my new place but my landlord won't let me have pets.
Unread 10-28-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I think Amy will have one of the best replies.

We don't have this food here, but I feed my cat Royal Canine dry food daily and I measure the amount (1 cup). It's important to not overfeed, it causes obesity. In the weekends I give my cat half the amount of dry food and some wet food (usually Hill's or Royal Canine).
Unread 10-28-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

jnbhall is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Look at the ingredients.

research research research, there are a lot of companies out there that are using questionable ingredients, meat not fit for human consumption, questionable death meats, flea collars, and I could go on and on.

you want meat as first ingredient not meal, no corn, glutens, or other fillers
i just took out 90percent of the cat foods on the market with above statement

price can mislead, some of the top priced dry cat foods are crap.
though you will pay for a good quality food.

also don't just accept what the vet is selling as top quality. "there trying to make a buck". Should have seen the look on mine when I told him his science diet was just one step up from the wallmart brand.

I like blue buffalo spa select myself, they make a wilderness formula but I wouldnt put your cat on it unless there a marathon runner. but its probably in the top three if not number one. its really meant for a really active cat, but its probably the next best thing to handing your kitty a big juicy mouse to chew on.

once again research research research
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-30-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hi Tabitha,
Like Katrine I feed my cats Royal Canin dry food (it was Katrine who recommended it to me). They really like it & it's not full of carbohydrates like some of the supermarket brands. It's more expensive but they seem to be satisfied with less of it so it doesn't work out as costing that much more.
Unread 11-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I tried some Holistic dry food yesterday and also wet food. This is also a very good brand and Anastasia just LOVED it. I'm thinking of buying both RC and Holistic and vary what I give her
Unread 11-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

jjphoenix is on a distinguished road

burns and arden grange have some of the best ingredients i have seen, supposed to be better than royal canine cause they use better meat sources, only think its uk though
Unread 11-25-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Sharon is on a distinguished road

I feed mine Royal Canin on the advice from here. I also don't free feed them on it, its too expensive! So I feed them 2x a day.

I asked my vet about food, as they don't sell any. They recommended raw feeding, but I just can't do it. But the receptionist said they feed wet canned at home, meow mix maybe? But the cats at the clinic get raw
Unread 12-01-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
I feed mine Royal Canin on the advice from here. I also don't free feed them on it, its too expensive! So I feed them 2x a day.

I asked my vet about food, as they don't sell any. They recommended raw feeding, but I just can't do it. But the receptionist said they feed wet canned at home, meow mix maybe? But the cats at the clinic get raw
I'm not sure about the quality of Meow Mix. I'd rather go for RC or Holistic wet food.

Feeding raw food to cats takes a lot of knowledge, or else it could end tragically.

About you feeding them 2x a day. That sounds correct to me. A cat shouldn't have more than 1 cup of dry food a day. When I decide to feed my cat wet food as well on some days, I give her only half a cup of dry food.

Tags
adopted , adult , advice , affordable , canned food , care , cat , cat food , cat lovers , cats , changed , diet , dry , dry food , family , food , free , hey , home , indoor , kitten , kitties , kitty , licking , lovers , meow , mouse , newbie , obesity , pet , queen , raw , royal , shelter , shopping , sick , small , thoughts , vet , vomiting , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links