It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

tankgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Is it just the area that I live in(Veterinary Hospitals)?

First and foremost, I believe that if you don't have the money to support a cat (or any pet) with veterinary visits, than you probably should'nt adopt one.

However, a friend of mine had gotten a cat 3 years ago and due to losing one of her jobs recently, has been financially strapped. These circumstances are unfortunate, but different.

Her cat started pooping and peeing outside of the litterbox last week. He will go around the litter box, but not in it. There have been no changes in the household to cause behavioral issues out of nowhere. I automatically suspected a UTI, and after speaking with someone at an ASPCA, thats what they suspect too. He needs to see a vet. Problem is, she has a kid as well, and are basically broke these days. She called me, upset, and said that she might have to take her cat to the Humane Society, where he would probably get put to sleep.

I called around to vets all day, trying to find someone that would do payments and explaining the situation. Nobody will. One lady even flat out told me "you arent going to find any vets that do payments."

In the end, she decided that she is going to overdraw her bank account for a vet visit because she cant to that to her cat.

Do no vets do payments, and why? Seems pretty messed up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

That sounds awful to me, I can't answer your question regarding vets in the US - but are there not charities that help pet owners on low incomes? We have the PDSA in the UK who give free or low cost treatment to pets whose owners don't have much money. Is there anything like that in the US?

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-30-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

That sounds simply terrible.. I know there are many places here in Alaska to go for financial help involving pet ownership... So some places in the USA have them. Dunno about her area though.

Tags
alaska , cat , free , hey , litter box , litterbox , money , ownership , peeing , pet , problem , question , sleep , upset , uti , why?

Sponsored Cat Links