It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

steveinid is on a distinguished road
Default Sick cat. need some advice.

Hello, all.

I have a sick kitty and I'm a bit perplexed as to what is wrong. Short history then straight to the problem.

Calvin was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia about 5-6 years ago. He was deathly ill with a bug when they found it out. Since then he hasn't been sick a single day.

Oct. 2009 - Calvin started acting funny and couldn't urinate. I took him to the vet on a Friday they determined he had a Bladder infection. They put in a catheter and I took him home and cared for him over the weekend. I couldn't afford the hospital care so I took him home. I gave him subcutaneous (sp?) fluids and kept a close eye on him. I gave him all his meds on time. He went back on Monday and had the catheter removed. He stayed on his meds and all turned out fine. He went back to eating like normal. His litter box habits returned to normal as well. My kitty was back to normal. The Doctor thought he should have died from Feline Leukemia 3 years ago so she tested him and said he tested Neg. Great. All is well.

18 Nov. 2009 - I noticed he had diarrhea really bad. He wasn't acting strange so I thought little of it. Thought he ate something in the yard. Diet hadn't changed any.

19 Nov. 2009 - I woke up and saw that he was under the bed. Normally he is waiting for me to get up so he can eat asap. Under the bed means he is not well. I pulled him out and saw he was covered with diarrhea. While cleaning him up he vomited. He had also vomited all of his food up during the night. I put him in the spare room with food and water and the litter box. I cleaned out box so I could monitor his usage of it. I came home that evening and saw he had not improved. His symptoms were much like a person who has the flu. I thought maybe my kitty has a kitty flu.

20 Nov 2009 - He isn't feeling better like I thought he would. I took him to the vet. Vet couldn't see anything wrong with him beyond the symptoms without doing a battery of tests. I don't have the money for that. They gave me some Amoxycillin and sent Calvin home.

21 nov. 2009 - Kitty is showing signs of life. He has perked up and is purring when I pet him. But, he isn't urinating properly. He is drinking water but not eating his food. He seems to be leaking. His fur will be wet with urine by the time he visits the litter box.

I put him in a large cage with towels and some wet cat food. He ate the cat food with no problem. Still leaky.

22 Nov. 2009 - He seems to be 90% right as far as his activities. Although he hasn't once cried for his food. He is drinking water and STILL LEAKING. I've had to clean him several times already. When I push on his lower abdomen I can push out urine. Its like he has no bladder control.

Any ideas on what I should do? I can't afford the vet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately he needs the vets, is it possible for you to come to some arrangement with your vet to pay in installments, or possibly due some work for the vet in return for treatment? Due you live in the U.K? If so if you are unemployed then you could take him to the 'Blue Cross, they maybe able to help you, financially at least give them a call and see what they say! Otherwise there is nothing to be done without vet help!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

The vet is your only choice. Maybe you could get some financial help as Maggie says. But no matter what, your cat is your responsibility and you must find a way to afford the vet. It's also wise to set some money aside for emergencies like these.
Unread 11-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

steveinid is on a distinguished road

The cat is at the Vet as I sit here writing this. I have literally decided to forgo my next house payment to make sure my cat gets the care he needs. I was hoping to avoid that but it is, at this time, unavoidable.

From the writings I could tell you all are as worried about my kitty as I am. He's a long haired cat with fur that gets everywhere and he is too fat to clean himself properly ( I have to shave his bumm now and then ) but he has been in my life for 8 years now and I don't plan on letting him go.

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve
Unread 11-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I support you on your decision. I hope it's nothing too serious and that he will get well soon. We'd love to see his picture. Long haired cats are my favorite kind.

If he's too fat you should try making him lose weight, as obesity can cause many health problems. There are low calorie dry food and wet food out there and you can also try to keep him active. My cat loves to chase the laser and things with feathers.

Give my hugs to Calvin and keep us updated.
Unread 11-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Catdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
If he's too fat you should try making him lose weight, as obesity can cause many health problems. There are low calorie dry food and wet food out there and you can also try to keep him active. My cat loves to chase the laser and things with feathers.
Such a good point. While only the vet will know, being overweight could be linked to the problem. Hopefully it is that simply. Good Luck, and you made the right decision.
Unread 11-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinid View Post
The cat is at the Vet as I sit here writing this. I have literally decided to forgo my next house payment to make sure my cat gets the care he needs. I was hoping to avoid that but it is, at this time, unavoidable.

From the writings I could tell you all are as worried about my kitty as I am. He's a long haired cat with fur that gets everywhere and he is too fat to clean himself properly ( I have to shave his bumm now and then ) but he has been in my life for 8 years now and I don't plan on letting him go.

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve
Any update? We all want to know how your kitty is doing, and what the vet says. Please keep us posted

Tags
advice , bat , bladder , box , care , cat , cat food , cats , changed , clean , cleaning , diarrhea , diet , dry food , eating , eye , food , found , fun , funny , fur , great , hey , home , infection , kitty , laser , litter , litter box , mat , money , night , not eating , obesity , overweight , person , pet , problem , problems , sick , urine , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links