It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-26-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Andreany123044 is on a distinguished road
Default Fish Oil Question

My cat has very dry skin. I was told I can give her fish oil for her skin/fur. Do i get this at the pet store or can I get this right at any store in the vitamin isla in capsule form? I just want to make sure that kind is safe for her. I also switched her from Purina Feline Favorites to Iams dry and now a wet food. She was getting sores on her neck, like hot spots. They seem to be much better since. Thanks for your help!! Mandy's mom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-27-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

O.k did a quick search of this and the general consenus seems to be not to give Cod Liver oil unless it has had the Vitamins A and D removed as this is toxic to cats. Fish oil is fine for cats I don't know if it is possible to find fish oil in the Vitamin aisle or whether you need to go to the pet store!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-27-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

I would call my vet and ask if they have it or if a product from a Petstore is okay. Our compounds are different to an animals compound and if the Vits A and D are toxic to them then in my opinion you can't be 100% positive there isnt a trace amount in our compounds. My cats are on a special food as Liam has a floating knee cap and I had seen a product at Petsmart that comes in a tube like toothpaste that you squeeze a half inch line on the paw which they just like off. I asked my vet about using it but she said not to as it may overdose the cats with the stuff in it that is already in this special diet they are eating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 11-27-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I just give my cat regular fish oil, like you and I take I can't stand to drink that stuff, so I get capsules.

I simply poke a hole to one capsule and pour it over my cat's food. If your cat doesn't like it, try mixing it in with her favorite wet food.

Thanks to Gail and Irene here- and now also from personal experience, I know that this works. It also makes the fur more shiny. Give this to her 2-3 times a week.
Unread 11-29-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Mine hate it. I've tried several times in their wet food but they only smell & run away.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 11-30-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

lauryn tom is on a distinguished road

Fish oil is very effective in some pets with allergies and skin disease. It is easy to administer (via gel caps or liquid) and can reduce the amount of corticosteroid or antihistamine needed to control itching.

Tags
allergies , cat , cat's , cats , diet , dry , eating , favorites , fish , fleas , food , found , fur , hey , kittens , natural , opinion , paw , pet , petsmart , question , search , smart , smell , toothpaste , vet , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links