It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

aaaple50 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation New here abscess question

Hello Ladies,

I am new here and i have a question. On Thanksgiving i found a small cat in my garage and it looked terrible skin and bones but she was friendly enough for me to pick her up and have a look at her. I noticed that her tail dragged when she walked and that she had feces on her tail. I am a animal lover and this made me so upset and sad that she was in pain my mother and i washed her tail off and went out and bought some cat food and water but she refused to eat. The next day we took a closer look at her tail and noticed she had two small holes at the base of her tail and that there was maggot eggs on her tail her. I was horrified and made an appt with a vet immediately. The vet gave us some oral antibiotics and a topical one to apply to her tail. a couple of days ago when after cleaning up her tail another undetected hole burst on the side of her leg leaking pus everywhere! She is doing so much better she is eating drinking jumping and seems to be in good spirits. So finally my question her tail infection seems to be clearing up but the one on her leg is still leakin and the hole is gaping and huge. I called the vet and he said to keep cleaning it, keep her e collar on and come in on thursday. Is this normal to keep a abscess wound open? The wound does look pretty clean but im just kinda freaked out i have never had a cat before and i have fallen in love with this little girl. Another thing her tail is still dragging could this be a side affect of the abscess wounds or could it also be broken? Thanks for reading my super long post!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

deerlover is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Abcess

The fact that the abcess opened and drained is positive. The anti-biotics are doing their job. If it stayed closed, the poison would remain in the body and cause illness, sometimes death. I wouldn't worry about the tail being down at this point. I am sure it is because of the infections. If the tail were broken, the vet would have told you.
Give lots of love, good food, keep the wounds clean and everything should be fine.
And kudos to you for taking such good care of this poor baby!!!!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
animal , antibiotics , baby , care , cat , cat food , clean , cleaning , collar , eating , food , found , friendly , girl , infection , jumping , love , poison , question , sad , small , thanksgiving , upset , vet , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links