It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

bonniepots is on a distinguished road
Default Eating habits of a sick cat

MY CAT WON'T EAT. Hi, i'm new to this forum and in need of some help. My 9 year old cat Clyde recently got sick and the vet diagnosed a slight kidney dysfunction. He lost his appetite and quite a bit of weight, becoming quite weak. He is steadily improving and eating a little, even though i know with a kidney problem he's never going to be the same again and probably not live that much longer. However, i want to give him the best shot. Problem at the moment is that he will eat very little from his dish, but seems quite happy to eat from my hand. Most of the time when i put his food down he just looks at me and meows until i get down on hands and knees and feed him, if i don't he eventually walks away without eating. I know this is totally impractical and i cannot continue to do this as i won't always be there or have time. Does anyone know why he's doing this and what i can do to get him out of it? I've tried several types of canned/wet food, fresh chicken, salmon and special renal support dry food (he won't eat the dry at all and i know it can be bad for cats with kidney problems). Vet told me not to give him tuna as its too rich. I also changed his bowl to a flat plate which helped a little. Any suggestions?!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-18-2009   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Pusht is on a distinguished road

Hi Bonniepots, my Billy passed away yesterday 17/12/09 at 10.45a.m from kidney, liver, pancreas and cancer. It has totally devestated us. He had wonderful seven years with us. Cats are truly amazing when it comes to their behaviour. Your cat has a deep emotional bond with you, he see's you as his parent figure. He is giving into you. All you can do is continue doing what you do because that really does matter to the sweet thing. It will not get any better, trust me on that. We brought Billy back home for his last 12 or so hours and I can tell you it was truly special. So all you can do is monitor very closely and when it gets to that stage, you must deal with it as quickly a you can, they will appreciate that. All my love and healing grace to you and your lovely.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-18-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

bonniepots is on a distinguished road

Hello, i'm so very sorry to hear about your Billy. Sadly Clyde too passed away on tuesday. When i got up that morning i found him collapsed in his litter tray, conscious but in severe pain. I took him straight to the vet and we made the decision to put him to sleep because there was little hope and i didn't want him to be put on life support only to prolongue the inevitable. It is so sad. I haven't stopped crying since. he was my best animal friend and we had such a close connection. You must be so devastated. I've always had cats but this one was my "soul cat". Thank you so much for your reply and words of support. I'm sure our broken hearts will heal, but they will always be missed.
Unread 02-16-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Lorifrances is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniepots View Post
Hello, i'm so very sorry to hear about your Billy. Sadly Clyde too passed away on tuesday. When i got up that morning i found him collapsed in his litter tray, conscious but in severe pain. I took him straight to the vet and we made the decision to put him to sleep because there was little hope and i didn't want him to be put on life support only to prolongue the inevitable. It is so sad. I haven't stopped crying since. he was my best animal friend and we had such a close connection. You must be so devastated. I've always had cats but this one was my "soul cat". Thank you so much for your reply and words of support. I'm sure our broken hearts will heal, but they will always be missed.
HI, I just made the anguished decision to put my 14 year old beloved cat to sleep last night. He had a couple problems and while he has been very slowly changing in the last year, he suddenly took a turn for the worse which I intuitively knew wasn't one he was going to come back from. He's had several crisis's but this time it was irreparable. I'm sorry to hear about your Clyde. It is SO sad and depressing and I am shocked to see how many other people on this forum and others I've looked at that have just had to lose their cat. I too had a SUPER strong bond with my cat, he was like my shadow...he would hang out with me while I did chores around the house. If I walked into my room, he'd hop out of his bed and follow me. At night he'd hop up onto my bed and wake me up (at times I didn't like this but I miss him so much I wouldn't care He was my last cat and now all I can do is torment myself worrying if I should have done things differently but my sister (whose cat this really was, we both loved him dearly) assures me we did the best we could.
I think you did the right thing not wanting to prolong your cat's discomfort.
I'd have loved to keep my Gizmo around for a couple more years if it had been possible but his quality of life had definitely changed. Plus he had a tumor right on top of his nose in between his eyes that kept growing and had started to press onto his nasal passages...he was getting constantly congested and the poor thing had a hard time drinking water etc. I just couldn't stand it anymore. THe tumor was in a place that would have made it very hard to remove as it's a sensitive area and his age was a factor.
I hope you take care of yourself and I'm sure we will both get better in time.

Tags
age , amazing , animal , behaviour , care , cat , cats , changed , crisis , crying , dry , dry food , eating , eyes , food , found , happy , hey , home , house , litter , lost , love , mat , morning , new to this , night , problem , problems , sick , sleep , suggestions , vet , wake , weight , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links