It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-04-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Tabitha is on a distinguished road
Default Getting Cat to Take Pill

Hi guys - my little guy Buddy has some bad allergies that have left bumps and scabs on him and in his ears We took him to the vet and got steroid and antibiotics, as well as some topical stuff. When we put the pills in his mouth and shut it, it seems like he's taking them, but then in the house we find pills that he has spit out.

We are considering mashing them up and putting them with food. Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-04-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It will take some practice, but you can do it!

For pilling, I advise this: use a dot of something soft and wet she likes. You can try mayonnaise, yogurt, even a little soft butter. Just a drop will do. Make sure you have everything ready, in a bowl is good. Pill, and spoon with a little mayonnaise (or whatever)

With cat in position (kneel on the floor, cross your feet behind you. Hold kitty between your knees, facing out. This way she cannot back away) hold pill in one hand, pry open mouth with other, poke pill in, toward side of mouth and as far back as you can. While still holding her with left hand, get a bit of yogurt (or mayo or...) on your finger and put a dot on her nose., She will lick off the yogurt and swallow, pill and all.

this can work with liquids too.

I make it sound easier than it is, at first. but once you master this method you'll be able to pill any cat, any time. I know I can!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-04-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Tabitha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
but once you master this method you'll be able to pill any cat, any time. I know I can!
Wanna come do it for me then

Thanks for the great advice. I'll give it a try tonight. The problem with Buddy is that he's very large and doesn't like to be held. He snuggles just fine, but since he's not feeling well he's very skittish and I think he can sense when we are trying to catch him and pill him! He's a tricky one!
Unread 01-04-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Yes, of course he doesn't like to be held especially when you are shoving things down his throat, LOL.

It'll get easier with practice. There's always the wrapping in a towel method, but I'm no good at wrapping a cat, and haven't ever tried it.

From your first post sounds like you are getting them IN him, but he's not swallowing. Putting something on his nose/mouth that he has to lick off will make him swallow.

Some people prefer to use a water chaser (with a needleless syringe) but I worry about aspiration with that method.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-10-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

lauryn tom is on a distinguished road

I think combining it with food is a good idea. Like for humans, swallowing the pill is also frightening for cats. So let's just hope that without seeing the tablet or capsule itself.. the cat can take in the meds mixed in the meal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice , allergies , antibiotics , cat , cats , food , great , house , kitty , nose , pill , pills , problem , suggestions , vet , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links