It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

loekie is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb My Cat must go on Diet!!

Hello,this is Cobie from Holland and I want to know how to make my cat Loekie loose weight?? I feed him 3 times a day and gets some off & on cat treats. you can see his picture of him I had taken with him tring to sleep in a box too small,you find it under-Loekie.he's only 5 yrs. old & I don't understand why he keeps gaining weight?? the vet says,,if he don't loose weight he can get Diebedies, a sugar sickness,he just does'nt loose,not one pound has come off! at night I take the dry food away and put up in a closet till the morning,cause after he had his evening meal I could hear him going down stairs thru the night eating dry food & I don't want him to eat himself to death,and he sleeps most of the time,I saw a cat on animal cop's,he had eaten so much that he became what you call,,Obies & his bladder was stopped all up and they had to unblock it,this scares me,can you tell me some advice what to do, Please?? very concerned. from: Cobie Cornwell,in Holland he is so heavy that I can't even pick him up to hold him,thats how heavy he is!! only thing he's interested in is..eat-eat-eat!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-05-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

catloversonly is on a distinguished road
Default Exercise + Less Food = Weight Loss

Many overweight cats don't get enough exercise, or they're overfed, or both (just like people). If a cat is otherwise healthy and has no medical issues that would cause weight gain, then he's eating too much/not burning enough calories. I would assume your veterinarian would go over this with you (and I'm not a vet), but I'll give you my thoughts.

When Teddie was overweight, I used exercise sessions to reduce her boredom and burn calories. Teddie's favorite game was fetch, so we worked with that to get her slim again. I exercised her every day.

1) As long as he's healthy enough to exercise -- Increase his exercise level and reduce boredom with 15 minute play sessions morning and night. Does he have a favorite toy? Can you encourage him to play with it, and with you? If not, you may have to try different toys and play ideas until you find out what will keep his attention for 15 minutes (maybe 2 or 3 different toys).

2) Reduce his food intake based on your vet's suggestions. If he loses weight, you're going in the right direction.

3) Talk to your vet about dry food versus wet. Some cats are dry food addicts, but dry foods usually are high in carbohydrates and that is not what your cat needs. Your cat needs meat. The "Catkins" diet. Meat and water. That's what wet food provides, and it may be better to switch your cat to a premium wet food diet. Quantity is also important with wet food, too, so don't overfeed.

4) Use your vertical space and get some climbing-type cat furniture for him. If he has to climb up and down to get to and from a high spot to rest, then his nap time has built-in exercise.

5) Play session suggestions:

Fetch is great. Teddie loves to chase a ball, and also the felt pads you get for furniture legs. It was easy for me to encourage her to just do more of what she liked.

Your cat may like other toys better. Da Bird is great, especially if your cat isn't into running a lot right now (or is too overweight for it to be healthy). Lay down a carpet that your cat can dig his claws into. Get him on that carpet and wave Da Bird around and he can get his exercise right there in that spot attacking Da Bird without any running.

Anything that dangles or rolls is great. Small rubber balls, ping pong balls, etc. Ice cubes are great if you have a hard surface floor like tile. One thing that works well is old belts. Yeah, it sounds crazy, but if you walk around the house dangling a belt, you'll usually get a cat to pounce on it.

Remember:

Cats are made for short bursts of energy. Think sprints, not marathons. So, 15 minutes of continuous exercise at one time is usually plenty. Let him tell you, though, when it's time to stop, and don't push him to go 15 minutes if he can only do 5. Work up to it.

I hope that helps!

-Kurt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kurt Schmitt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-06-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

That advice is very good, just cut out the treats and keep him active and you should see some improvement in his weight.
Welcome to you Kurt, thank you for your in-put it's seems spot on!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 01-06-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

hELLO THIS cOBIE,-THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE BUT,TELL YOU THE TRUTH,MY CAT JUST INS'NT INTERESTED IN ANY TOYS,i TRIED TO PLAY WITH HIM AND LOEKIE JUST SITS THERE LOOKING AT ME LIKE,,,WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU CRAZY. OH YEAH HE'LL PLAY ONCE IN AWHILE WITH MY YOUNGER CAT,SHES 2 YRS,SHE DOES NOTHING BUT PLAY & WANTS TO GRAB THE THE LITTLE ARROW ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN.HER NAME IS MINET'.AND LOEKIE HE'S AFRAID OF EVERYTHING,JUMPS IF HE HEARS A NOISE.,IF ANYONE COMES IN THE HOUSE HE RUNS UPSTAIR'S. SO i JUST STARTED TAKING THE DRY CAT FOOD AWAY PUTTING IT IN THE CLOSET FOR THE NITE,HE WENT CRAZY! DURING THE NITE HE ALWAYS RAN UP & DOWN STAIR'S TO EAT,NOW HE CAN'T-SO WHAT DOES HE DO? STARTED IRRATATING US BY PICKING ON THE CABINET DOOR & SCRATCHING IT TO GET OUR ATTENTION & WAKE US UP. BUT HE HAS TO LEARN IT. COBIE-HOLLAND.
Unread 01-06-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

catloversonly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
That advice is very good, just cut out the treats and keep him active and you should see some improvement in his weight.
Welcome to you Kurt, thank you for your in-put it's seems spot on!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekie View Post
hELLO THIS cOBIE,-THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE BUT,TELL YOU THE TRUTH,MY CAT JUST INS'NT INTERESTED IN ANY TOYS,i TRIED TO PLAY WITH HIM AND LOEKIE JUST SITS THERE LOOKING AT ME LIKE,,,WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU CRAZY. OH YEAH HE'LL PLAY ONCE IN AWHILE WITH MY YOUNGER CAT,SHES 2 YRS,SHE DOES NOTHING BUT PLAY & WANTS TO GRAB THE THE LITTLE ARROW ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN.HER NAME IS MINET'.AND LOEKIE HE'S AFRAID OF EVERYTHING,JUMPS IF HE HEARS A NOISE.,IF ANYONE COMES IN THE HOUSE HE RUNS UPSTAIR'S. SO i JUST STARTED TAKING THE DRY CAT FOOD AWAY PUTTING IT IN THE CLOSET FOR THE NITE,HE WENT CRAZY! DURING THE NITE HE ALWAYS RAN UP & DOWN STAIR'S TO EAT,NOW HE CAN'T-SO WHAT DOES HE DO? STARTED IRRATATING US BY PICKING ON THE CABINET DOOR & SCRATCHING IT TO GET OUR ATTENTION & WAKE US UP. BUT HE HAS TO LEARN IT. COBIE-HOLLAND.
It's possible that cutting out the food alone will make him lose weight. Walking up and down stairs all night may help too.

But, he should be exercising regularly for general health reasons and boredom. Cats that play more often are likely to be happier and more outgoing. If he's depressed or bored, he may need some encouragement to get him going.

Some cats don't like to play as much as others, but you should be able to find something that he likes, and then encourage him to do more of it. Start with many short play sessions each day and gradually make them longer and longer.

You could try leash training him (I'm assuming he's a 100 percent indoor cat) and go for walks. Check with your vet on safety issues and vaccinations since he will be exposed to dangers outdoors.

Since he's afraid of things, you may want to try socializing him to boost his confidence (this may be part of his problem). Even at 5 years old, cats can learn to be less afraid and build confidence. Feliway might help also. I've never used it myself and it doesn't work in all cases, but it might help.

Kurt Schmitt

Unread 01-07-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Try cutting down on his feedings. You can check the recommended serving size per feeding on your bag of cat food, and feed only 1/2 that, twice a day (feeding him 3 times a day is overfeeding) and cut out the cat treats completely.
Is there any play you can get him interested in? Even chasing a bit of string will help, it will get him moving.
Unread 01-08-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Have you tried a laser pointer to see if he will play with that? Most cats can't resist chasing the red dot of light across the floor or up a wall. My two cats love it.
Unread 01-09-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Oh yes I have one of those,he'll chase it for a min. or 2 and then he's tired and sit & look at and watch my other cat chase it all over the room,my Minet'loves the laser pointer and she knows where I keep it too ,if I go into the draw she'll come running thinking I'm getting out the laser pointer. but Loekie,he thinks he's smart,like I know what your tring to do,I'm sitting right here and not gonna move! sometimes he'll get in one of those moods & start to play,like I'll roll up alittle piece of paper and throw it on the floor,but he'll look at me like saying,yeah what? ám I supposed to chase it? forget it.but he'll be alright. but he'll stare you out sitting there till you give him a treat,with those eyes looking at you till you give in.
but thanks for asking & for the advice. COBIE CORNWELL.
Unread 02-07-2010   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Jordan S. is on a distinguished road

Switch him to a good canned with no gravy or grains. With canned, the food is totally innacceable. there really is no way for a cat to open a can. And any unopened stuff is in the fridge which your cat also cannot get to unless you leave it open.

plus it's low in carbs.

Tags
advice , animal , attacking , bladder , box , carpet , cat , cat needs , cats , color , computer , crazy , cut , depressed , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eyes , food , fur , furniture , game , health , hey , house , laser , loss , love , medical , morning , moving , night , overweight , overweight cats , picture , play , scratching , sick , sickness , sleep , small , smart , suggestions , thoughts , toys , type , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links