It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Lorifrances is on a distinguished road
Default Excessive sneezing...

Hi, I'm kind of worried because my cat has been having quite a bit of sneezing and a sort of reverse snorting as if trying to clear his sinuses. He saw the Vet this morning and the lungs sounded clear, evidently no asthma as I feared, he has an appetite and drinks plenty of water. He does have a tumor right smack dab in between his eyes that could be causing trouble but my sister and I do not feel at all this is the problem. We were given some antibiotics to see if this helps. I did notice that he of course didn't sneeze/snort once when in the office (weird how that happens) but as soon as I put him back in the house, that sneezing started right up.
It makes it rather hard for him to eat as the sneezing interrupts his eating.

Should I be overly worried about this? It just troubles me that the doctor didn't find anything that I know can be fixed other than a questionable mention concerning the 'mechanics' of the tumor maybe causing some trouble. He's an indoor cat, 14 years old and is the only pet in the house. I wonder if there is some kind of allergy explanation? I took out some orchids that were in the house, maybe the soil had some allergens? I just hope he stops this sneezing as he looks kind of miserable.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!, Lori
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-14-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately it could be that the tumor is pressing on nasal passages and causing him to sneeze/snort, although why he wouldn't do so at the vet's I couldn't say. I don't know what else to say to you, expect I hope that he stops sneezing soon, otherwise I would take him back to the vet's and find out more about the tumor.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-26-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

meowersjoan is on a distinguished road
Default sneezing?

I would look more into the tumor, you can do some research online to educate yourself on the topic, but still make another vet appt. I would also look into checking the diet. My cat lucky 7 has terrible allergies and we use Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea Canned Cat Food. It has really helped. I thought maybe it was seasonal allergies or even something else that was bothering her, but as soon as we switched her food she did much better. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.
Unread 04-28-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Breezy
Felicity Franklin is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem, and decided to try something cheaper and less invasive. I used a borax and phosphorous-based homeopathic cure, and Shorty was better in 2 weeks.

Don;t know if it works for you, but i always take a natural cure stance first before i hit the vet.
I learned a tough lesson here. When she continued to sneeze, i went to the vet, and $600 and 2 trips later she was no better, and had been shot, groped and x-rayed and hated me!

That's when I went the homeopathic route, and it worked, and I have done it ever since.
Unread 04-28-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cheerful
tigger481971 is on a distinguished road

I would go making another vet appointment. Using alternative homeopathic cure can be done on the side, but I would never rely only on that. Especcially knowing that there is a tumor. I would agree with maggimay and meowersjoan. Go check with the vet. Maybe you can also ask him about alternative possibilities. I would also ask him about allergies. This can be food or maybe also the cat litter.
Unread 05-01-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi--I wonder if there is something in your house that your kitty is allergic to. If he didn't sneeze at all at the vets, but then started right in again, maybe somethings making him sneeze. You should mention this to your vet. I had a situation where one of my cats was coughing/choking every so often. The vet checked him from head to toe and, thankfully could not find anything wrong. I realized that my cat was in my damp, musty/dusty basement for a couple of hours before the coughing fit and haven't let him down there again.

Tags
allergic , allergies , allergy , antibiotics , asthma , cat , cat food , cats , diet , eating , eyes , fixed , food , homeopathic , house , indoor , kitty , litter , lucky , morning , natural , problem , sneeze , thoughts , vet , water , weird

Sponsored Cat Links