It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-14-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sad
natalia13 is on a distinguished road
Default Please help!

Please Help! My cat is an adult male, had him for about 8 years now since he was a baby.... he has been having kidney problems from what my vet has been saying, and I think it is getting worse.... vet said it would cost about $500 to have a biopsy done. But when we looked at the x-rays together my “vet” was the one who told me my cat may have a kidney issue. This was about a year and a half ago..

also at the time he was suffering severe constipation (which I believe may have been because of his swollen kidney pushing on his intestines and making it hard to go, but at the same time he was in a new indoor environment as I had moved temporarily). I have the constipation under control now.. i feed him only wet can food...

Today he has been throwing up.. 2 times already, once this morning and once about an hour ago. Now he just had a seizure! His whole body was convulsing! And saliva was coming out of his mouth! I gave him some metacam about 3-5 drops.... now he has been resting since then and right now he threw up again but nothing is coming out since his stomach is empty. I called the vet and they want at least 150$ just to take him in, and another 500$ for a biopsy to see what the problem is. I am a student who is very low on cash, and that is a lot of money for me. I want the best for my kitty but do not want to throw 500$ down again if the vet can only “guess” what the problem is. Has anyone been through this before? I am very very stressed about this and any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Natalia

Last edited by natalia13; 01-14-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-15-2010   #2 (permalink)
lmz
Newborn

lmz is on a distinguished road

I am sorry to hear of your cat's illness. I have been through tough times with my pets as well. I have not experienced what you are going through and it is a tough decision for you to make. I would think that the vet would be able to find out exactly what the problem is if he ran the appropriate tests but you must make that decision. I really hope everything works out for you and your kitty. It does sound like your cat needs medical attention and the sooner the better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-16-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

catloversonly is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to hear that your cat is sick. I know it's a very tough thing to deal with. I have not experienced this particular set of circumstances with a cat myself, but I have been through a number of other medical adventures with them.

It's not unusual for complex medical problems to require multiple tests and multiple vets to diagnose and treat the condition (same with people).

I agree that it sounds like your cat needs to be at the vet. You have a sick child who needs medical care so you're going to have to get creative. Borrow the money, ask your vet about payment plans, get the credit card that's for veterinary care, etc.

I would suggest that people not use oral Metacam. I'm assuming you and your vet know the risks, but others reading this may not. It's been said to cause kidney failure in cats, it's easy to overdose, and any cat that has a hint of kidney problems is that much more sensitive to going into renal failure (so the vets say). I wish you and your cat the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kurt Schmitt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 01-17-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you for your advice, i appreciate it very much.

I ended up having to put my cat to sleep.. :'( i am so very hurt right now. I am finding it very hard to deal with this. I cant stop thinking about him. What happened after what i wrote above in my first post is that my cat ended up falling asleep in my room so that i can keep a close on him. I went to bed too, but woke up in the night at 1:00am to him vomiting again very forcefully. Nothing was coming up beside stomach acids. It was so painful to watch him like this! He was in so much pain! Then 3 mins after that he had another full body seizure... the last one he had was at 9:30pm just a couple hours before.... i held him down, comforted him as much as i could. After he went into my hallway i believe because it was cooler in there, and he would lay down for a bit and then get up and take just a few steps and lie down again..... he could barely move anymore, his back legs were dragging as i can see and hear his nails drag on the floor... i followed him to ever spot so that he wouldn’t be alone and try to help him not be so afraid... he eventually voided in my room urine and feces. He was so weak and i could not stand to see him suffer so much!!!

I knew there was nothing else that could be done beside putting my poor baby to sleep... :’( this was one of the hardest things i had to do.. on the way to the vet he was alert, watching the street lights.. as we got to the vet’s he didn’t want to sit in his bed anymore, he kept on moving so i held onto him in my arms. We walked into the examination room and the vet said herself too that this is the best choice for him... they put a catheter in his left arm and injected the Euthanasia.. that whole time in the room he was so calm. He didn’t even move around. He just laid there...

im so hurt. I keep feeling as if this might have not been what he wanted or he was thinking that they’ll make me better.. I know my cat had a beautiful life. he was able to be an indoor and outdoor cat, since i live in the country land. He ate even our human food which he loved, and he was loved very much. he had a best friend= another cat which he is a depressed from this loss and a dog too..

i keep having nightmares such as i was trying to bring my cat back to life but then i realized that i put him to sleep and i would wake up.
I have a lot of good support around me such as my brother who was there when all this happened. My boyfriend who helped me take my baby to the vet . my family and friends. I guess this is just the process of grieving and letting go.. its just so hard.
Unread 01-17-2010   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Oh darling I am so sorry you lost your little man.
This is so tragic, poor baby.
Words cannot describe how you feel right now.

Just remember he is free from pain now, and waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.
R. I. P. sweet boy, now an angel for sure. xxxxx
Unread 01-17-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

here are some pictures of him (pipas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
Oh darling I am so sorry you lost your little man.
This is so tragic, poor baby.
Words cannot describe how you feel right now.

Just remember he is free from pain now, and waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.
R. I. P. sweet boy, now an angel for sure. xxxxx
I know i tell myself that too.. its so hard tho. i know he is free from the pain now. and is in heaven and happy.. i want to upload some picture i have of him, but i dont know if you can?

ive posted some pictures in my album if anyone would like to see my kitty...
<3 xoxoxoxoxoxforever
Unread 01-17-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

catloversonly is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's very difficult to lose a pet and having guilt and doubt about your decision is normal. It's good that you were with him through it, though, and he's not suffering.

Kurt Schmitt

Unread 01-22-2010   #8 (permalink)
lmz
Newborn

lmz is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been there before and I know how hard this is for you. You made the right decision and you will always have him in your heart and you'll have your memories of him always. Again, I am so sorry.
Unread 01-27-2010   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

thank you all for your replies... it has been 2 weeks now and its been somewhat better... still really hurt and missing him SO much!! its comforting to know other have been on the road that im on. so thank you it really means a lot to me... i just think of all little things he did with brings happiness and sadness...

my two other pets (cat and dog) are starting to act strange... my cat stares out the window and my dog goes to all the spots where my cat use to sleep at.. and when i say my babes names pipek my dog stops wagging his tale.

i dont mean to be some annoying crying baby on the forum but this is helping me, talking to people who have been there and have better knowledge then me wiht kitties..

thank you again..
Unread 01-28-2010   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

That is what this forum is here for We're all here to help each other through hard times. My condolences for your loss..

Tags
adult , advice , another cat , baby , boy , boyfriend , care , cat , cat needs , cat's , cats , constipation , crying , depressed , dog , environment , food , free , friends , hey , hurt , indoor , kitty , loss , lost , male , medical , money , morning , moving , nails , night , pictures , problem , problems , sick , sleep , tale , vet , vomiting , wake , window

Sponsored Cat Links