It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-02-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

AlanBasic is on a distinguished road
Default Diet for Maine Coon

Hi everyone,

My friend recently told me about Maine Coons, which I had never come across before...they are huge I was wondering how much food a cat this large would eat compared to a normal sized domestic cat? Do they have any special dietary requirements?

- Alan

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-02-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Blondetwit is on a distinguished road
Default A Maine Coon is still a cat....a big B U Tiful cat

Have had Maine Coons, and they're wonderful cats. They can be very long lived as well. My dear Ed lived to be just shy of 20. Most commercial cat foods will have feeding guidelines based on the weight of the cat. It's important that you feed the quantity not based on the weight the cat is, but the weight the cat should be...and for that number you should consult your vet.

I miss my Ed. May his spirit live on in all other Maine's.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-03-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Not all Maine Coons grow to be huge though, my Sasha is nearly two and she is still quite a small delicate looking girl for a Maine Coon, apart from her fantastic plumy tail

Royal Canin do a special dry food for Maine Coons, they are extra large kibbles they say for large jaws and reinforced cardiac function (as Maine Coons have a genetic tendency to suffer from cardiomyopathy). No idea whether it works but Sasha (and my DLH Pixie) both seem to like them!

RIP sweet Ed, what a great age to live to

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-03-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Blondetwit is on a distinguished road

You're right, not all Maine Coons are *huge*! Interesting, but two different vets said that Ed's little brother,Clyde wasn't a MC; although he clearly was like Ed, only much smaller in stature. Clyde was also intersex, or hermaphrodite. Clyde lived to be 21! Ed was strong (like bull!) until his last day, as was Clyde. They are a gentle, wonderful breed. Smart too. Ed was "the boss" of this house, and his presence is irreplaceable.

I've also learned from my own experience and others, that MC's are less likely to be obese. They seem to have a larger amount of lean muscle mass than other breeds.

And these large cats? They will provide the largest, most impressive hair balls (squishy puddings) you've ever laid eyes on :-0

=^..^=~~
Unread 03-04-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I have a Maine Coon, a rather big girl. I give her a little less than a cup (65 grams) of Royal Canine's "Maine Coon 31". Remember to not overfeed, even though they usually get big. Obesity could lead to a lot of health problems. Especially since they can be more prone to heart and kidney problems.

It seems like they require the same amount of food as domestic cats, since they also should have like one cup of dry food a day. When I feed my girl wet food, I half the amount of dry food. She's big, lean and healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondetwit View Post
And these large cats? They will provide the largest, most impressive hair balls (squishy puddings) you've ever laid eyes on :-0

=^..^=~~
LOL! Thankfully, I've never had a hairball problem with my cat, in fact I've never seen her cough up one. I do brush her often though, even though it's war time doing so! I always wear gloves.
Unread 03-04-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
carrie is on a distinguished road

Hi Alan,

I have two Maine Coons, Leo and Alice. Leo is about 18 pounds, and Alice is 8 pounds. It's hard to believe they are related, much less from the same litter!

They eat only dry food, and they free feed so I don't measure. (We're in the process of switching to Wellness brand) If you want a big cat, your breeder will be able to tell which kittens will grow big. Many are only a little larger than than any other house cat, though!

I think the personality of Maine Coons is what makes them special, though. Loving, affectionate beyond belief, loyal, funny, I could go on...

Good luck,
~Carrie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 03-29-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

voldo37 is on a distinguished road

Hi - my Sampson is a Maine Coon cat and is just about 2yrs old and weighs in at 15lbs. I am feeding Taste of the Wild dry food right now. I usually put down between 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup every night and he just free grazes. I don't think I will every have to worry about him getting fat because he just doesn't eat that much.
Unread 08-28-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

DweamGoiL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DweamGoiL

I have a Maine Coon / Orange Tabby mix. She's a medium sized girl about 1.5 yrs old. She's about 11.5 lbs. I feed her Weruva wet in the morning, 3 times a week she gets 1/4 cup orijen dry in the morning, and each evening meal is 2-4 oz of a rotation of various raw proteins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
affectionate , age , breed , breeds , cat , cats , commercial , diet , dry , dry food , eyes , food , fun , funny , girl , great , hair balls , health , healthy , hey , house , interesting , kittens , maine coon , night , obesity , orijen , personality , problem , problems , raw , royal , small , smart , tabby , vet , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links