It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-28-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

catmom is on a distinguished road
Default Allergy advice

My youngest cat has a skin allergy. I have been told she is allergic to fleas, and maybe she is, but I keep her as flea free as possible and it doesn't seem to help her skin. With 2 other cats and 2 dogs in the house, it's impossible to say that I NEVER have a flea but all are protected as much as humanly possible.

Is there any type of food additive I can give her, or special collar (aside from a flea collar) I can put on her to give her any relief? She actually doesn't scratch all that much, but her skin is constantly irritated and she has to be miserable.

Bathing her isn't an option. She is a "rescue" and despite living with me for more than 2 years now, she is still very much "wild." I CAN catch her, but it is a huge ordeal that often involves starving her for half a day or more so I can bribe her with food, and then penning her in the bathroom so she can't escape while I wrap her in a towel. Even then, if I don't get her in a crate within about 90 seconds, she freaks out and manages to get out of the towel (how, I don't know).

So.....I need something that doesn't involve me having to catch her very often. I can usually get a collar on her, and pin her down long enough to squirt a spot-type flea treatment (usually frontline) on her, but that's about the extent of it as far as touching her goes. She will sometimes let me pet her, but it has to be on her terms.

Any ideas at all would be helpful!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-06-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Frontline Plus is better than the plain old Frontline. If you use it every four weeks religiously, she shouldn't have any flees or flee eggs on her at all. I know you sai it's hard to catch her, but is there any way you can run a flee comb through her hair to see if there are any residual flees on her skin? Also, one of my cats was always scratching, even AFTER using the Frontline Plus, so I purchased Anti-itch spray for cats. It is in a spray bottle and I purchased it at Petco. If you do not have a Petco nearby, llook up Petco.com. If you are having trouble finding it let me know and I will try to get the eact name of the spray.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice , allergic , allergy , cat , cats , collar , dogs , fleas , food , free , frontline , house , pet , rescue , scratch , scratching , type , wild

Sponsored Cat Links