It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-30-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Laureanne is on a distinguished road
Default Can't spay my kitten

Hello all,
I have an 8-9 week old female. I made an appt with the vet to have her spayed. The vet called and told me she has a heart murmer. It's not safe to put her under anestesia. What do I do? I'm sure he's right, this vet care for my last cat for 20 years. I just don't relish the idea of dealing with her going in to heat. ANy info appreciated.
Laurie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-30-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Stressed
Catsmanlover is on a distinguished road

Hey Laureanne

Outdoor indoor cat I guess. No harm having an indoor cat long has you give her lots of play time and cuddles and hugs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-31-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I'm really not sure what to suggest.
Obviously you'll have to keep her indoors but I appreciate your concern about living with her while she is in season. One of my cats is small (at a year old she was only 1.5kg) so she was spayed at an older age than my other cat. She had one season before her appointment and she was not easy to live with.
Have you asked your vet if he has any advice on what you can do?
Unread 05-31-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Wow--this is really difficult. You want your cat spayed, but, of course, you don't want to do anything that could jeopardize her health or her life. What about getting a second opinion--I know that you know your vet for alot of years, but it might not hurt to get a second opinion. I'm wondering if you wait a couple of months until your cat is a little older, maybe her heart would be stronger too??? What did the vet suggest you do for the heart murmer? Does your cat need to be operated on to correct it? If so, can she be spayed at the same time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 06-04-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
Wow--this is really difficult. You want your cat spayed, but, of course, you don't want to do anything that could jeopardize her health or her life. What about getting a second opinion--I know that you know your vet for alot of years, but it might not hurt to get a second opinion. I'm wondering if you wait a couple of months until your cat is a little older, maybe her heart would be stronger too??? What did the vet suggest you do for the heart murmer? Does your cat need to be operated on to correct it? If so, can she be spayed at the same time?
I agree with this, get a second opinion. You've got a couple of months before you have to worry about a heat. Cats with heart murmurs can have surgery safely. Find another vet who is more up to date on things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , age , care , cat , cats , female , health , heat , hey , hurt , indoor , kitten , kitty , opinion , play , small , spay , spayed , surgery , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links