It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

automaton2 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation chronic pancreatitis diagnostics

Now my vet
6 months into cipro and pepcid wants an endoscopy 1200$ and
ultrasound 400ish$
I am elderly and disabled and even though we have trupanion insurance
I am super poor
I am wondering will these diagnostics cure him
I was told the pancreatits was incurable just treatable

does anyone know
it does not make sense to put us through this if it does not resolve his malady?:heart3:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-15-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

orangy is on a distinguished road
Default We're 'in the same boat'

I really admire you,I'm in your situation,I had a cat like that that I love ,and due to lack of funds,I had to put her to sleep,I hate myself for it,but You're still having your cat,try to raise money by asking any imaginable resource for help inc. charities local and far and wide,sme rules for churches,use the pohone,the internet etc. I wish you the very best of luck,and hopefully some Humane folks will help you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-15-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

automaton2 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation old and disabled however love my cat "son"

I pull out as much as I can monthly
Thank you for the compassionate support
We have Trupananion insurance which reimburses some things

I hope you got another kitty
get insurance when they are kittens

check out the attachment of my beautiful boy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (2.4 KB, 3 views)
Unread 06-15-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry to hear this, he really is a beautiful boy. I don't know much about this but I hope you are able to work things out - it must be so hard.

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 06-15-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

orangy is on a distinguished road
Default I Hope your cat 'll last longeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton2 View Post
I pull out as much as I can monthly
Thank you for the compassionate support
We have Trupananion insurance which reimburses some things

I hope you got another kitty
get insurance when they are kittens

check out the attachment of my beautiful boy
You welcome,I'm trying long time to find financial resources for my own cat,that unfortunately,while stopping vomitting ,he stil vomit,I suspect it's the food ,but yet bI have to find a financial aid for him,some chuurches I called refuse to aid cats,other play ' hookey 'It's extremely frustrating ,but no to give up,with my meager income,I can't afford pet ins. althoough it's the way to go.unfortunately many doctors and vets in our USA are in for the money,and are greedy too,often they do un neccessary procedures both on human beings ,or pets ,to enrich their pocket! 1n 1993 I've been offered a bi Pass surgery,that at that time was not warranted,by a doctor,that was more concerned about his own income then me. best be educated and informed.
Unread 07-08-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

tomcathealer is on a distinguished road

There are two simple tools you may want to consider (these were given to me by a holistic vet a while ago when I was dealing with a cat who had issues with hid pancreas).

The Bush flower essence Peach Flower Tea Tree has been used successfully to help many animals dealing with severe pancreatic difficulties. It's simple, inexpensive, and I'd encourage you to look into it.

Another things you may want to try is slippery elm (this won't directly help the pancreas, but it can reduce the acid in the gut). This supplement is exceedingly cheap and can be mixed into a gruel/syrup that will coat and soothe the lining of the gut.

These are the suggestions that leap to mind. If you want to contact me, I'd be happy to communicate with you.

Tom Hapka

Last edited by tomcathealer; 07-08-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling error
Unread 07-08-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Always discuss with the attending vet before trying any supplements or anything else you may want to give an ill cat (or a healthy one, for that matter). Supplements can be just as dangerous as any other drug, and also cause interactions or affect the actions of other medications.
Unread 07-09-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Well... sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Always discuss with the attending vet before trying any supplements or anything else you may want to give an ill cat (or a healthy one, for that matter). Supplements can be just as dangerous as any other drug, and also cause interactions or affect the actions of other medications.
Flower essences are NOT dangerous, and by their very design, cannot interact with drugs. It simply isn't physically possible. Moreover, there isn't a vet school in the country training their aspiring veterinarians on the mechanics of flower essences and how they function, so there is almost no chance this person's vet will be able to offer an informed opinion on how best to use them.

Peach Flower Tea Tree has been used time and time again to treat humans AND animals for severe pancreatic conditions, with proven results. The original poster made it clear that monetary factors an issue, and the current regimen isn't getting the job done. This flower essence would be a very safe thing to try, and it makes good sense.

Natural products like herbs can interact with drugs, but flower essences are completely different, and they are quite safe to use even when conventional medications are being used. If your cat is still having pancreatic problems, this would be a viable option.

Last edited by tomcathealer; 07-09-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Unread 07-09-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I reiterate, never give your cat something, anything, before talking it over with the attending vet.

As for your claim about flowers, I'll use a human example. I once had a nurse tell me to take evening primrose to help me sleep. I double checked on interactions and discoverer that the evening primrose (a flower) was counter indicated with another medication I am on. Should I have followed that nurse's advice I could have had some very serious complications, such as seizures, and at the very least, the medication's effectiveness would have been decreased by the flower essence.

Flowers are plants and contain specific chemicals just like any other herb or weed. Advising people to give their cats something on your say so is irresponsible.

It's great to offer someone some advice, but no one should be giving their cats something without checking with the attending vet who knows the cat's medical history.
Unread 07-09-2010   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Again... not exactly

I'd like to start by clarifying that I respect your concerns, and I do respect your opinion. I am hearing you, but again, we're NOT talking about the same thing.

The evening primrose you described was not a flower essence. Again, flower essences don't contain any chemical properties of the original plant they are derived from, and therefore cannot interact with a medication. This is an important distinction.

I agree with you that certain herbs and nutritional supplements can interact with medications. That's very true, and it's a valid point. Absolutely. But again, flower essences are very different.

The evening primrose you were offered was a supplement containing whole extractives of a plant (presumably in a softgel, capsule, or tincture), and those can indeed interact with drugs. Flower essences, however, are energetic medicines that DO NOT contain a direct, undiluted extract of any plant or herb, which is why they don't interact with medications.

Bach Flower Therapy: Theory and Practice by Mechthild Scheffer is an outstanding book that explains how flower essences are made and also clearly spells out why they can safely be taken alongside medications. If you have any questions about flower essences, this would be a great resource.

Going back to my original suggestion, Peach Flower Tea Tree is a Bush Flower essence that has been used time and time again to help people and animals with pancreatic conditions. This person has little money to work with, and this would be a safe, affordable thing to try.

Last edited by tomcathealer; 07-09-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Tags
advice , affordable , art , beautiful , book , boy , cat , cat's , cats , diabetes , elderly , food , great , happy , healthy , hey , internet , kittens , love , mat , medical , money , opinion , person , pet , play , problems , sleep , small , surgery , training , vet , vomit

Sponsored Cat Links