It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-16-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

blake5377 is on a distinguished road
Default Extensive Grooming

Hey guys!

So im really curious about this... for the last 2 weeks (or more) my cat has been grooming herself extensively. She now is licking off the hair and causing irritation around the parts she's groomed. Like little bite marks on her belly and some on her leg. Then shes been scratching the top of her ear, taking off some hair.

Some people said its skin irritation, that she needs to change diet. And so I did (2 days later same thing)... Maybe thats too soon...

What should I do, or recommend?

She doesnt seem sick, seems her normal happy self. Just itchy.

Some say take her to a vet, some say no need...

Your advice?

Thanks!
-Blake
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-16-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

orangy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5377 View Post
Hey guys!

So im really curious about this... for the last 2 weeks (or more) my cat has been grooming herself extensively. She now is licking off the hair and causing irritation around the parts she's groomed. Like little bite marks on her belly and some on her leg. Then shes been scratching the top of her ear, taking off some hair.

Some people said its skin irritation, that she needs to change diet. And so I did (2 days later same thing)... Maybe thats too soon...

Your advice?

Thanks!
-Blake
Maybe your cat has itchy skin,and your vet could diagnose the cause and suggest anti itch spray?.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-16-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Ah do cats usually itch that much till they clean their hair away??
Unread 06-19-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Bump....

Anybody else has any idea??
Unread 06-19-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Default additional possibilities

Quote:
Bump....

Anybody else has any idea??
Allergies,Parasites, nervousness(stress) ,Vet might help find some answer
Unread 06-20-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey guys!

Your advice?

Thanks!
-Blake
Hi Blake--I would buy a flea comb (a metal come that's really close together. Comb through the cat's fur and look between the tines of the comb for little tiny fleas. If no fleas, the pet stores sell anti-itch spray that you could try. But as a precaution if I were you I would go to the vet and tell him or her exactly what you told us. It could be any number of things like parasites or worms. Is it an indoor-only cat or does it roam freely outside? If it goes outside there re any number of things it could have picked up. Let us know what happens and good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 06-21-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The first thing to do is take your kitty to the vet. If she has a flea allergy, just one flea can cause this much irritation.

If a food allergy is the problem, it will take a few weeks for a food change to make a difference, but it will have to be a food that contains none of the known allergens in the old food, to know for sure. A food transition should be done very slowly, over a couple of weeks, or stomach upset and diarrhea can result.

Often, if a food allergy is suspected the vet will prescribe a special food called Hills Prescription z/d. This food is made in a special way with different proteins. If the kitty improves on this food, then the search for which ingredients are causing the allergies, begins, usually a long trial and error process.

The most common allergens for cats are chicken, beef, fish and wheat.

DO NOT use over the counter flea products or ANY over the counter products on or in your cat. Many are deadly, or at the very least can make your cat very ill.

How old is she? Have there been any changes in your household? New person or pet, or one less person or pet? Unusual activity, new furniture? Something outside that she sees from a window, upsetting her? Cats are very sensitive and something you might not recognize as a stressor could be causing trouble for her.

Feliway plug in diffusers and/or Rescue Remedy can help her cope with stress.

There are many things that can be causing this problem, from stress to Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. Your kitty needs a check up complete with blood work before doing anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 06-21-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Very sound advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
The first thing to do is take your kitty to the vet. If she has a flea allergy, just one flea can cause this much irritation.

If a food allergy is the problem, it will take a few weeks for a food change to make a difference, but it will have to be a food that contains none of the known allergens in the old food, to know for sure. A food transition should be done very slowly, over a couple of weeks, or stomach upset and diarrhea can result.

Often, if a food allergy is suspected the vet will prescribe a special food called Hills Prescription z/d. This food is made in a special way with different proteins. If the kitty improves on this food, then the search for which ingredients are causing the allergies, begins, usually a long trial and error process.

The most common allergens for cats are chicken, beef, fish and wheat.

DO NOT use over the counter flea products or ANY over the counter products on or in your cat. Many are deadly, or at the very least can make your cat very ill.

How old is she? Have there been any changes in your household? New person or pet, or one less person or pet? Unusual activity, new furniture? Something outside that she sees from a window, upsetting her? Cats are very sensitive and something you might not recognize as a stressor could be causing trouble for her.

Feliway plug in diffusers and/or Rescue Remedy can help her cope with stress.

There are many things that can be causing this problem, from stress to Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. Your kitty needs a check up complete with blood work before doing anything else.
This is extremely wise and sound advice,with good logic to back it up,inc. insight,My situation is described here:
Home - Help save a cat life
I'm still in continuing stages of trying to raise funds for a vet fee,recently I even put some of my books in Amazon.com in addition to it,but it's a leghty proccess.

Tags
addition , advice , allergies , allergy , belly , bite , books , cat , cat's , cats , clean , diarrhea , diet , fleas , food , fur , furniture , grooming , happy , hey , home , indoor , kitty , licking , nervous , pet , save a cat , scratching , search , sick , stress , transition , vet , window

Sponsored Cat Links