It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-18-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mizmelzywi is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cat Food Allergy/Intolerance

I'm new here. I've been looking for a forum specifically that deals with Cat Food Allergies. However, I did find this one. Hopefully someone can help me.

Since June I've been having problems with one of my cats throwing up. It got to the point that there was blood in the vomit. The food was completely digested. I went to the vet and he said it was stomach irritation. He was put on several antibiotics which did nothing for him. It wasn't until I switched him to all wet that he stopped throwing up. I then switched the food because it was the dry that kept making him throw up. So I got a new brand of dry. I had him on a Grain Free food but it was still making him throw up. So I changed it to Eukanuba Weight Management/Hairball formula. He was fine getting one can a day and the rest dry. I had him down to 1/2 a can a day and the rest dry. Then I had to go out of town for about 37 hours so I did a trial and put him on all dry. When I came home he was throwing up again. Yesterday morning there was blood in it again. So now he's back on 1 can a day and the rest dry. So far he's still throwing up.

I started to look at the ingredients and one of the ingredients that wasn't a grain that was in all three foods I had tried him on was beets and/ or beet pulp. It isn't in the wet. So I'm thinking it's the beet pulp that he's got an issue with. However, I am not completely sure. But after doing research I find that it is a common allergen for many cats.

Am I correct in thinking it's the beet pulp that's doing it. Because there is some grain in the wet. So if it was grain it would have gone away with a grain free food.

I have also been told that since most commercial cat foods have a 100% money back guarantee that I should be able to return the cat food back even opened, and get a refund. Hopefully in this case I can do that. Because I have 6 cats and one of them is allergic to the ingredients in it. Has any one been able to take an opened bag back to get a refund or do I have to go directly through Eukanuba?

I am feeding him 2x a day now one can a day and the rest is dry. I would like to get him back to all dry as it fits within my budget MUCH better than wet does.

Hoping someone with experience could help me figure this out

Mel
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

mizmelzywi is on a distinguished road
Default Update

I called Mounds where I got the cat food and they told me that I could return it and exchange it for another food or get my money back. So I exchanged it for Chicken for the pet lover's soul. It seemed to have very good ingredients and importantly no beet and/or beet pulp!

He's back on 1/2 a can a day and no throwing up! YAY. I won't know for sure until I do a trial on all dry for at least 48 hours. Because if it is intolerance to dry in general then I'd know after that because it takes less than 36 hours to show itself.

Anyone else have their cats on Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul?

Mel
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-28-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

lokipoki is on a distinguished road

Both of my cats have sensitive stomachs. They both needed very different foods. I would actually check out

redmoonpetfood.com

Right now theres a free trial on to make your own custom cat food. Just decide what suppliments you want and such.

Ive heard that cats can easily be allergic to chicken, so if you use an alternative like salmon or duck its better. One of my cats got a lot better after stopping chicken in her diet. She eats red moon salmon.

My other boy on the other hand doesnt seem to have allergies, but intestinal problems. He automatically throws up when he eats a treat, or any other food for that matter. He was also having very bad poops. Medical Gastro fixed that up so fast though.

Id try a gastrointestinal food first, then try to figure out what kitty is allergic to.

Hope this helps. :3

Tags
allergic , allergies , allergy , antibiotics , boy , cat , cat food , cats , changed , commercial , diet , dry , fast , fixed , food , free , hey , home , kitty , lovers , medical , money , morning , pet , problems , vet , vomit , weight

Sponsored Cat Links